Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2023, 06:03 PM   #1

Registering an RV in Calif.

This is a bit of a complicated scenario I’m trying to figure out. First off, I am a Canadian. I bought a lot in an RV resort in Ca. It came with a trailer that is registered to a LLC in Montana. I figured On registering the trailer but wondered if I have to register it in Ca. as it won’t be moved from my lot. If I can register in Montana I might save some $. Any non residents been through this ?
homefor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2023, 07:47 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't see how registering to a LLC will save any $$. Could be best to just register in CA. If the trailer will never move from the lot, you can get a non operational registration for cheap. But if you move the unit off the lot,you will have to recoup the past registration fees.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:33 PM   #3

registering it in another state will save quite a bit in sales tax, and several hundred a year in state of CA registration. As long as it does not leave the park I don't see the downside. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If it's permanently parked on a lot, you own, I don't think you need to register it unless the resort is requiring it. It only needs to be registered if used on the highway. It's just like a mobile home permanently parked in a park.

Ask the park how other trailers are handled.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't appear there is necessarily any CA sales tax in this scenario - the RV came on the lot. If may not be registered for the road at all, and the Montana title may be all that is needed to prove ownership. But if CA finds it at the RV park, they might insist it be tagged to CA rules. That is likely to get expensive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #6

Registering an RV in Calif.

Technically you’d have to register it in the state you reside in. I would think the seller will need to do a transfer of registration to release his liability of the trailer. That’s when you’d be obligated to register it.

Now you may be required to take the trailer to a DMV office for a VIN verification. However, you can hire a private VIN verifier who will come out on-site and do it for you.

We did that when we purchased our trailer. We bought it from a dealer in Illinois and had it delivered to our property in California. Due to its size and difficulty in getting it into place this was the route we went. It’s a little cumbersome and costly but you can do it.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
It doesn't appear there is necessarily any CA sales tax in this scenario - the RV came on the lot. If may not be registered for the road at all, and the Montana title may be all that is needed to prove ownership. But if CA finds it at the RV park, they might insist it be tagged to CA rules. That is likely to get expensive.
Ca wants their sales tax! They also want the registration fees. Even Mobile Homes that are not on permanent foundations are required to have current registrations. There are exceptions for traveling with a out of state registration.
Ca has not always used the same standard of enforcement.
One other thing the OP should look into. Ca has looked at people that they believe have substantial ties to the state and asked for state income tax [ on their full earnings]. This is one of those times where I would be talking to a CA tax attny. I would want to know if a CA registration would trigger a Franchise Tax filing. Good Luck DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:12 PM   #8

Licensing RV

Most parks require current tags on vehicles due to emergencies that may require moving the vehicle ( fire, flood).
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote