Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Registering MADP outside of Calif.

I purchased a second home in Idaho and I currently live in California. I plan to keep both homes but I want to leave my motorhome in Idaho. I built a heated garage for storing the motorhome. Has anyone moved their motorhome registration from California to another state? Will California allow this if I keep my primary residence here but keep the motorhome in Idaho?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
California law says the coach needs to be registered in the state where the coached is garaged. I'm guessing Idaho would be similar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

I think that's a question for DMV. People have been trying to register their expensive vehicles out of state for years to avoid the high fees in CA. They have used relatives addresses, PO Boxes, vacation homes, etc in an attempt to establish residency. The problem is they still have a CA drivers license and their residence is in CA, otherwise we'd all be registered somewhere else. As long as you don't bring into CA you'll probably be fine. DMV has investigators that do follow ups on this, usually after a complaint from a jealous neighbor.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABergo View Post
I purchased a second home in Idaho and I currently live in California. I plan to keep both homes but I want to leave my motorhome in Idaho. I built a heated garage for storing the motorhome. Has anyone moved their motorhome registration from California to another state? Will California allow this if I keep my primary residence here but keep the motorhome in Idaho?
The problem will be if you pull a CA registered toad with an ID registered RV, especially if you do this in CA. An easy target for cash strapped CA

Will CA allow you to register in ID, sure no problem. What is ID going to say if you register the RV there and are a resident of CA?
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

That is a good point dons. I do pull a CA registered toad and don't have plans to change it's registration....at least for now.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

I would say no you can not.
We recently moved to Idaho and had to show our Idaho drivers license and a utility bill to register our vehicles. (Police also came to our home to do a VIN check.) We also just bought a new MH from Wa. again DMV made me call the police and they came to my home within 30 minutes to see the MH in person to do a VIN check.)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

It must be different in parts of Idaho? You might not think so but it is. Rural area might be a lot easier then Boise?

If I have the title, then never a vin check.

They might and they might not ask for your DL.

Where I go I just give them the address and go. Have never been asked for anything but money!

What part of Idaho are you in?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
It must be different in parts of Idaho? You might not think so but it is. Rural area might be a lot easier then Boise?

If I have the title, then never a vin check.

They might and they might not ask for your DL.

Where I go I just give them the address and go. Have never been asked for anything but money!

What part of Idaho are you in?
Nampa, in Canyon Co. Where are you?

These rules apply only when registering an out of state vehicle.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My father was a CA resident, bought a new RV for cash and registered it in Oregon. Since my Aunt was a resident of OR, He had his sisters name and Oregon address on the title.
If you're an IBO, Independent Business Owner [Amway, Herbalife, Property Rentals, what ever] and claim Idaho as its home base, I suspect you could register your RV as a business vehicle in Idaho.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #10

I am in Southern Idaho, Hagerman to be exact!

I will call for you tommorow if you like and ask?