Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Reminder to turn off headlights

The DW does most of the driving of her 2002 Fleetwood motorhome on an E-450 chassis. She is used to driving her Ford Explorer with headlights on always, including the daytime using headlights in auto and covering the Explorer’s ambient light sensor.

But for the motorhome, it’s a simple “pull the knob to turn on headlights” which she has used nearly every time she has driven on our present trip.

But she’s forgotten to turn off the headlights three consecutive times after driving and turning off the engine. I caught the errors, these times, but not might get so lucky in the future.

Any thoughts on how to create a reminder to the driver to turn off the headlights after turning off the engine?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #2

Install a headlight warning buzzer. They make a nice nagging buzz sound if the lights are on and the key is off.

Funny thing is a lot of people remove them [emoji16].
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:55 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a class A on a Ford F-53 chassis and one of the first things I noticed after purchasing it was that it did not have an audible alarm for headlights on/ ignition off. Since I am now aware of it, I have not left them on since, but would be interested in a simple solution too.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 06:09 AM   #4

I am constantly forgetting to turn off the headlights every time I park. I usually notice them when setting up and have to ask the DW to turn them off AGAIN for me. She’s always so glad to assist.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

The good part is even if the battery is killed it's only takes a flip of the switch to start the engine.

And easy fix would be to wire a relay to the battery and headlights, use ignition power to close the contacts.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
The good part is even if the battery is killed it's only takes a flip of the switch to start the engine.
This is something I didn't know until recently, and I'm sure many RVers are not aware of.

Most rigs have a spring-switch that temporarily connects the coach battery to the house batteries.

Handy for when you run down your chassis battery and need to start the engine, but it also works in reverse: you can start the generator by using the chassis battery.

Just wished I had known all this back in the 90s when I left my headlights on late at night in a deserted parking lot in the Canadian Rockies...
Black-Bear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights