Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
remold looks like the same process for recap, either way by federal law you can not use them for the steers, and like many truck drivers out there I use them on my drives or trailers, but no remold/ recap tires on my steers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:26 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
remold looks like the same process for recap, either way by federal law you can not use them for the steers, and like many truck drivers out there I use them on my drives or trailers, but no remold/ recap tires on my steers,

I also used "caps" on the drives and trailer, they were my casings and had my company name branded into the sidewall so I knew I got my tires back. Again the regs (Title 49 Part393.73) state recaps my not be used on the steer axle of buses ONLY, they are perfectly legal in any position on any other vehicle.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with most everyone here. I wouldn't use them on any of my vehicles. About aircraft tires, Aircraft don't drive to thier destination, these tires do get some abuse, but rarely come apart. They normally just wear out from normal wear. Also as stated above these tires have several more plies than a highway tire.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #18

aircraft tires

are recapped 30- 40 times or more, depending on casing condition, they are x rayed every time, and the primary recap company is B F Goodrich, (owned by Michelin)

you'd be very surprised to learn where alot of tires are made, I know I was shocked.
I have "chinese" tires on my class C, are they better than US made?? I dunno, I did my research, and I'll report honestly on how they do, ( so far they are holding air just fine)
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to do some research, and very likely call in a few favors to do it (And I very much do not want to do it) but I think there are some false statements in that ad.

Remoulding, sounds to me like recapping re-worded.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Recap does the tread area only; remolding does the sidewall as well, thus binding the whole tire shell together. Whether that make a substantial difference I cannot say. It's still a new shell on an old body.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #21

asks truckers they leave a lot of alligators on the hwy from recap tires.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larcougar View Post
asks truckers they leave a lot of alligators on the hwy from recap tires.

Okay, another misconception. Most of the "gators" you see along the road are caused by under inflation (virgin tires as well) and aren't just peeled recaps. It was true years ago that recaps were of lesser quality and did deserve the bad rap, but todays recaps are a far cry from what was produced in past years. I ran recaps on the drives and trailer with no problems. If I wasn't rolling I wasn't making money and the cost savings ad up compared to new.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Okay, another misconception. Most of the "gators" you see along the road are caused by under inflation (virgin tires as well) and aren't just peeled recaps. It was true years ago that recaps were of lesser quality and did deserve the bad rap, but todays recaps are a far cry from what was produced in past years. I ran recaps on the drives and trailer with no problems. If I wasn't rolling I wasn't making money and the cost savings ad up compared to new.
Just curious, So I am assuming you no longer drive tractor trailers. What do you run on your RV? As far this question goes, anyone who has run recaps for thier work vehicles, do you use them on your personal vehicles? If not, why not? I am in the market for new tires for my MH soon & I am all for saving a few bucks. But not at the cost of saftey, if it is a real justified concern.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #24

I manage a shipping dept at a mfg plant. We run caps on all trailers and pulling axles but not steer axles. Recaps are much better than years ago, now if one comes apart, it will do it first time out, very, very rarely, or after some other tire failure. When a tire, capped or not, blows, we only lose the tire and a mud flap. Could you imagine what a blowout would do to all that aluminum and fiberglass behind your rear tires? I would never run caps on my motorhome, it's not worth the gamble. To defray the cost, I usually swap the front two a year or two before the back four as the fronts tend to wear faster anyway. That way , four is the most I have to buy at one time. I sell my takeoffs to the company I work for and then have them capped for trailer tires, helps a little with the cost also.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Two things on any of my vehicles I will not get cheap with are tires and brakes. You can have an engine or tranny problem and the worst that can happen is that your sitting on the side of the road. Cheap tires or brakes, you run the risk of being wrecked on the side of the road.....Not worth the risk
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #26

No recaps/remolded tires on mine. Lots of foreign countrys make quality tires, we aint the only country that knows how to build a tire. Just do your research before you buy. Most all quality foreign tires are no less expensive than an equal American built product.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Just curious, So I am assuming you no longer drive tractor trailers. What do you run on your RV? As far this question goes, anyone who has run recaps for thier work vehicles, do you use them on your personal vehicles? If not, why not? I am in the market for new tires for my MH soon & I am all for saving a few bucks. But not at the cost of saftey, if it is a real justified concern.

You're correct, I run virgin rubber on the motor home. I ran caps on the truck to put more money in my pocket, I did have my own casings recapped so I knew there history (my company name was branded into the sidewall).
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to the replies about using these recaps on your service vehicles & not your MH. Pretty much what I figured. But I am not involved in the highway vehicle use vehicle maintenance. I work on large aircraft & we always use recaps there. But that is a complete different story. I would have had a personal problem using them on my vehicles with the little bit of knowledge I have about them on the highway before this thread & I still won't. Thanks