Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #1

Removing solar / lithium when upgrading?

While upgrading our rig for boondocking (1200 watts of solar and 400amp/hrs of Lithium batteries) we did so with future removal in mind. Even though dealers want to charge a $5K per set of 3 lithiums, and $2-3K more for a few solar panels, I assume that in a trade-in situation, the dealer is unlikely to place much (any) value on these item on our rig.

Timing is everything, so I'm not sure I want to deal with a private sale, but perhaps with these features in place that would be the best route forward for us. Anybody have experience trading (or selling) a coach with these sort of extras installed? Thoughts?

Thanks all!
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
May be a nice to have in that when compared to another coach of the same ilk, the extras MAY help lean it toward yours, but probably won't add anything to the sale price.... especially as fast as the technology is changing... I mean next year they could come out with a panel that is 2'x2' that does a billion gigawatts
Old 08-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mcs View Post
While upgrading our rig for boondocking (1200 watts of solar and 400amp/hrs of Lithium batteries) we did so with future removal in mind. Even though dealers want to charge a $5K per set of 3 lithiums, and $2-3K more for a few solar panels, I assume that in a trade-in situation, the dealer is unlikely to place much (any) value on these item on our rig.

Timing is everything, so I'm not sure I want to deal with a private sale, but perhaps with these features in place that would be the best route forward for us. Anybody have experience trading (or selling) a coach with these sort of extras installed? Thoughts?

Thanks all!
My experience confirms your assumption that the dealer places little value of solar at trade in. Blue book values do, however, show an increase in value.
My suggestion no matter how much the dealer might allow you for solar at trade in, it will never be what you paid for you system. Plus you will have to pay the cost again for a new install with the new rig. I would keep it.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have several $thousands in lithium batteries. If trading in the coach I'd swap them out. If selling private party I might consider selling with or without, with appropriate price difference.

Solar panels don't gain anything on trade, they can add value in a private party sale.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

I am trying to sell mine right now with solar and lithium. So far no bites.
If it doesn't sell by the end of the year I will remove all the upgrades and sell it at the lower price.
Luckily I have no loan on it and storage fees for me are -0-. It is just delaying me purchasing a smaller unit.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #6

My plan is to hang on to my trailer for the life of the trailer or the end of my ability to safely tow it. I will probably replace my tow vehicle after about 8-10 years but keep the trailer in great shape.

I have 2+ years in to ownership and a lot of labor making the trailer custom to meet our needs. Doesn't make sense to sell and have to do it again with another one.

If I had to I would take my seven 100 amp-hour LiFePO4 batteries out and most of my other Victron Energy hardware and move it to the next one. I would leave two of the smaller MPPT controllers for the panels still up on the roof. The inverter/charger and larger power distribution cables would be removed to reuse on the next one.

I would buy one cheap lead acid battery to allow the next owner to safely tow it away.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I'd probably leave the solar and take out the batteries and associated equipment if you have any installed.....like DC-DC converter(s).

The cost of solar is pretty cheap and the labor involved in putting them in/removing is much more than panels, not to mention the hles in the roof that will remain.

Most people don't really appreciate the value of LifePO4 batteries but they DO hear about "Solar" how how great it is, you'll probably get a bit more on the trade with solar alone and almost the same as if the batteries were there as well..........a dealer can then sell it more easily in the used market.

From your perspective your new coach may be better served with larger/smaller panels and the cost of panels and a controller is probably only $2K - $3k, depending on size........that's the way I'd go
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
PKI

Leave the solar and lithium and sell it yourself. If the RV is a wreck, pull all off and trade it for the new unit - poor price, but you'll get a new loan with all debt rolled into the new RV. Good for one time so do it right.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been in a similar process. All of the dealers I talk to say that all of my upgrades do not really add any value. Unless the next buyer is paying cash and instead need a loan their lending institution will go by the book price with any listed factory options. Non-factory options don't have a check box on the leader's worksheets and those folks would not have any idea of the value. So it's $0.00.

If making a private sale a smart buyer may understand the value of your upgrades. They may also understand and just say it's of no real value to them and only pay book value.

Thus I'd take off anything of use to you for reuse. Some things are hard to remove without leaving unwanted holes, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:28 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I installed all my solar/inverter/lithium stuff on my Bay Star with the intention of returning it to stock when I sold it. With that in mind I left the factory stuff (inverter, batteries) in place and this made it easy to remove my stuff when I sold the coach. I was certain I’d lose a lot of $ selling it with the solar.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, solar