Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replace awning with one with a cover?

Not sure where to post this so please move if this not the appropriate forum.
Our A&E Awning is shot, needs new fabric. I can replace the fabric but what I would really like to do is to install a new awning that has a built in cover.
Searching all the sites I have been unable to find anyone who sells this type of awning as a retrofit. I am tired of having to deal with mildew and dirt every time I unroll the awning, it seems it gets wet even when rolled up and never dries out until I unroll it. A covered awning seems like it would work better.
Does anyone know if these systems can be retrofitted?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe you can make one of these.

Awning Protector

Another one
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Burns-

Our former coach had a Fiamma F45L (link here). I liked it more than this coach's Carefree (of Colorado), which has a flexible cover called "Alumaguard." I can't get any pages to load at Carefree right now, but here is their RV Awning product page link.

I don't think it would be too hard to change over to a different design. The toughest job would be to touch up the paint and decals where the old arm brackets attach to the coach.

Carefree offers a conversion kit to turn my awning into a crank-in-out; I plan on buying one. The crank was one of the nice features of the Fiamma.

I think the Fiamma might be more resistant to air blast when semis pass you on the right at 70 MPH. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can't remember who made mine but it has the hard plastic shell that covers it. I am going to the trailer today and will look.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, too, would like to add the alumaguard cover, even though my awning fabric is new. My last RV had it, and after 15 years of use (and it was purchased used), the awning material was still in pristine condition. My current RV had new awning material installed by dealer at time of purchase because the original material was torn and falling apart. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the guard.

Surely it can be added. My last one was simply an additional section made up of aluminum strips linked together. One side had the groove that the awning material "bead" fit into, the other side had a "bead" that fit into the groove on the RV. Since the legs and rafter arms are all adjustable, an additional 8-10 inches of awning length is not going to be a deal breaker.

I've seen the plastic covers that snap on by hand after the awning is rolled up (both manufactured and DIY), but the built in cover is much better, as it's automatic, with no additional steps needed.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

Google 'Dometic A&E rv awning with Weathershield' and you will get many options.

When I had my deteriorating vinyl awning replaced a few years ago, I opted for the acrylic awning with the aluminum weathershield. A bit pricey, but no more fabric separation or fading from the sun.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm betting you could add the flexible aluminum cover to your existing awning. Call Chris at Stone Vos and see what he says!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Commercial Member

The flexible or alumagard covers are pretty expensive. Shipping alone is well over $ 125 because it has to be shipped as freight on a semi. Compounding the problem is the type of awning you have - A & E, Dometic or Carefree. The A & E and Dometic alumagards are produced with a triple connection. In other words the clam shell or alumagard is attached to the fabric itself at two connection points.

One alternative is when replacing your patio awning is to have a weather wrap sewn into the fabric. Stone Vos perfected this several years ago and it is now used by Carefree. Essentially your acrylic awning when rolled up is encased in a heavy vinyl Stone Vos uses their Migliore. This keeps the acrylic fabric out of the elements and dry and free of dirt.

I believe Carefree calls it Weatherwrap. Stone Vos calls it Migliore wrap.

In regards to those of you who have gold anodized Carefree hardware, those alumawraps are long gone. There is not a single source available anymore for the gold hardware. The only hardware colors that are now available are black and white.

Chris T
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

As Chris mentioned the A&E version is a 3 point system. The bead at the top of awning slides into the track on the RV. There are 2 more beads sewn in that the metal cover slides onto. I have that type of awning and replaced the fabric last year. Guess what, it still gets wet inside. There is a strip of fabric, 1.5"-2", between the metal wrap and the side of the RV. I'll have to try sealing the seams in that exposed strip. It sits pretty much straight out from the side of the MH so rain sits on top and eventually works through the seams. That's my guess anyway. Also if you drive in the rain water will get pushed in at the front.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all A&E versions are/were 3 point systems. As I said above, my last RV had a 2 point aluminum wrap. The awning material bead slid into a channel on the last section of the aluminum, and each aluminum section was a channel on one side, bead on the other, with the final section's bead sliding into the channel on the side is the RV. There was no awning material reaching the RV wall at all. THAT type of aluminum wrap, if available, would be relatively (?) easy to add to an existing awning. It would just go between the existing material and the RV wall, and lengthen the awning reach about 8-10".

Yes, water would still get in, but for me, the sun protection was the goal. It was 10 years old when I purchased the rig; 15 years later when I sold it, the awning was still in pristine condition (and I live in SoCal, so the sun is brutal).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our DSDP's had the A&E with the covers on the main and window awnings. Great product and protects the material from pretty much everything but water. The fabric still gets wet even rolled up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Both our DSDP's had the A&E with the covers on the main and window awnings. Great product and protects the material from pretty much everything but water. The fabric still gets wet even rolled up.
Yup same here with the ZipDee's awning and window shades.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 AM   #13

awning cover

My '87 Holliday Rambler Crown Imperial has what I believe is the afore mentioned Alumma-Wrap, because my awning hides itself inside a flexible cover. I will have to replace my awning in the next couple of years, because it appears to be the factory unit and is starting to separate from the bead connecting to the cover. It also looks to just slide the bead into a groove in the cover as mentioned above. And yes, it gets wet so I just extend it out sometimes while not being used, but obviously all previous owners didn't do the same. But since it seemed to spend most of it's life in Florida the cover seemed to have made all the difference.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #14

awning cover

Oops! I meant to have said "seemed to have spent most of it's life in Florida". I still have a year to go before retiring here at the distillery!:facepalm
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, awning, replace