Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #15

just get a recondition battery from interstate and have them load test in front of you there guaranteed for 6 months and cost like $50 i have used them in cars trucks and my old london aire
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Go with the AGM battery, if thats what you want to do, but don't replace your onboard charger.
It will do fine charging and maintaining a AGM battery.

The charger you mentioned is a 2 amp charger. That's great if your storing your RV, but woefully under powered for vacationing in the trailer, even with shore power.
The factory converter/charger has a 30 to 40 amp output. That covers the items your using and maintaining the battery charge.

A 2 amp charger will not keep up with the lights, fridge, water pump or heater amp draw. You'll just run the battery down during your trip.

All this talk about needing a different charger isn't true, in your situation.
Folks with large battery banks, dry camp often, and want fast recharge times, will want chargers specifictly designed for their battery banks.

Flooded and AGM battery charging profiles are close enough that a middle of the road converter/charger will work fine. AGM and flooded batteried are both lead acid batteries.
As usual I'm in agreement with twinboat.
I'm a big fan of AGMs and find Sam's Club Duracell made by East Penn a quality and affordable alternative. I have many in service in boat & MH and have had good life with them when treated properly.
East Penn has recently confirmed that there is no difference in deep cycle performance with AGMs like there is with FLA. Both their GC2s and GP 31 (& others) spec both AH as well as CCA for AGMs.
AGMs dont like to sit for extended periods at partial state of charge SOC. So about once/ week its helpful to make sure they are fully charged. Your maintainer will keep them at high SOC when stored if you can keep it plugged in. If not best to disconnect to prevent parasitic draw down.
I have recently installed a Balmar batty monitor and have been watching charging a a large AGM batty bank aboard my boat. What I'm seeing is even my multi stage charger set to AGM charge profile seems to switch prematurely to float stage when the bank is less than 100% SOC. By cycling my charger off /on it restarts in the bulk, then absorption stages before going to float again. The SOC increases with additional cycles. The learning is it takes some extra patience and cycles to get back to or as close as possible to 100% SOC. I may be overly banal about Betty care & monitoring but I've found the result is exceptional life.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
As usual I'm in agreement with twinboat.
I'm a big fan of AGMs and find Sam's Club Duracell made by East Penn a quality and affordable alternative. I have many in service in boat & MH and have had good life with them when treated properly.
East Penn has recently confirmed that there is no difference in deep cycle performance with AGMs like there is with FLA. Both their GC2s and GP 31 (& others) spec both AH as well as CCA for AGMs.
AGMs dont like to sit for extended periods at partial state of charge SOC. So about once/ week its helpful to make sure they are fully charged. Your maintainer will keep them at high SOC when stored if you can keep it plugged in. If not best to disconnect to prevent parasitic draw down.
I have recently installed a Balmar batty monitor and have been watching charging a a large AGM batty bank aboard my boat. What I'm seeing is even my multi stage charger set to AGM charge profile seems to switch prematurely to float stage when the bank is less than 100% SOC. By cycling my charger off /on it restarts in the bulk, then absorption stages before going to float again. The SOC increases with additional cycles. The learning is it takes some extra patience and cycles to get back to or as close as possible to 100% SOC. I may be overly banal about Betty care & monitoring but I've found the result is exceptional life.
You may have undersized cables from your charger to your batteries.
The charger senses the max voltage at its output, but due to voltage drop, that's not what's getting to the batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You may have undersized cables from your charger to your batteries.
The charger senses the max voltage at its output, but due to voltage drop, that's not what's getting to the batteries.
OK I can see where that might not provide a full charge but would it cause the bulk / absorption cycles to end prematurely and would initiating another cycle result in a higher SOC? Why? wouldn't the battys see the same reduced V?

I will take a closer look at wire size and run as well as V drop measurements.
The new monitor provides a good track of batty V and they eventually get fully charged after a few cycles of the charger.
Appreciate your insights.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, batteries, replace, replacement