Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Replacement Furniture

Hey all,

So, I've been looking around, and was just curious who on here has replaced furniture in their camper/RV, and opinions on the base sites/places to shop for replacement furniture.

We bought a 2016 Starcraft AR-One MAXX 28FBS and LOVE it. However, we would like to possibly 'upgrade' some of the furniture to some better looking, more comfortable furniture. I've not been real successful in finding a lot of options.

Additionally,just curious what other advice folks might have regarding this. We're not really wanting to upgrade the camper itself, b/c of the financial commitment on both the camper and the truck to pull it . but, we'd be okay with spending a 3-4K on some upgrades that give it a bit of a different look.

and I'm new to the forum, so if this post is better served elsewhere, just let me know.

Thanks to all in advance.

-Steven
sfurstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #2

We took out a Flexsteel dining booth, sofa, and a very heavy recliner. We replaced the booth with 2 chairs from Costco. They had taller legs that that I shortened on a table saw. The sofa and recliner were replace with 2 Stressless Chairs and a chair from ikea.

Removing the old and installing new furniture can be an issue determined by your door size.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

You can do a search of the site for 'furniture' or 'replacement furniture' in the search deal near the top of the page to pull up past discussions. I've been using the search function extensively and usually eventually find the info I am after.

We are planning on replacing at least 1 of the couches in our fifth wheel. Based on what I've researched, being mindful of the weight as the couch is in a slideout, we are planning on looking at residential furniture. I'm new to this whole RVing deal, so take this with a grain of salt, but my perception based on reading is RV specific furniture may not be the best deal quality nor cost wise, and residential furniture, being mindful of the weight, is often times a better path. That's the idea I'm currently operating under. We'll see how it goes.

Haven't moved anything large in nor out of the trailer yet, but again based on my research I am willing to explore the option of removing one of the larger windows and passing things through it. It seems, sometimes/often times, the windows are actually easy to remove/re-install and provide a more usable way to pass large things in/out of the RV. I've read this is a good way to add/replace residential refrigerators in these units.

Thanks,
Joe
Motorcycle Trailer - 2014 Aluma MC10, 2000 GVWR
immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

We removed the theater seating couch in our fifth wheel and put in two Best Furniture recliners. Huge boost in comfort.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
We took out a Flexsteel dining booth, sofa, and a very heavy recliner. We replaced the booth with 2 chairs from Costco. They had taller legs that that I shortened on a table saw. The sofa and recliner were replace with 2 Stressless Chairs and a chair from ikea.

Removing the old and installing new furniture can be an issue determined by your door size.
Yeah I hadn’t thought a ton about the door…we just want to put a 60 inch leather jackknife sofas where our original one is….the original doesn’t have a lot of comfort and is starting to break down.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
We removed the theater seating couch in our fifth wheel and put in two Best Furniture recliners. Huge boost in comfort.
That’s what we’re going for…our sofa is SUPER uncomfortable…
Old 07-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortl View Post
You can do a search of the site for 'furniture' or 'replacement furniture' in the search deal near the top of the page to pull up past discussions. I've been using the search function extensively and usually eventually find the info I am after.

We are planning on replacing at least 1 of the couches in our fifth wheel. Based on what I've researched, being mindful of the weight as the couch is in a slideout, we are planning on looking at residential furniture. I'm new to this whole RVing deal, so take this with a grain of salt, but my perception based on reading is RV specific furniture may not be the best deal quality nor cost wise, and residential furniture, being mindful of the weight, is often times a better path. That's the idea I'm currently operating under. We'll see how it goes.

Haven't moved anything large in nor out of the trailer yet, but again based on my research I am willing to explore the option of removing one of the larger windows and passing things through it. It seems, sometimes/often times, the windows are actually easy to remove/re-install and provide a more usable way to pass large things in/out of the RV. I've read this is a good way to add/replace residential refrigerators in these units.

Thanks,
Joe
Great thoughts! We’re definitely being mindful of weight as I don’t have a lot of weight to play with, but it’s good to know that our window might be an option for passing through the larger furniture!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #8

There is a ton of this stuff on Amazon. With RV specific furniture it will normally come in at least two pieces for you to assemble inside the trailer. Residential furniture can be troublesome if it is not easily disassembled since the door is your choke point and it is small. We replaced a fold out coach in our old TT and put in a set of theater seats. Removing the old furniture was the most difficult part since there were a few stripped screws that made disassembling the old piece difficult.
Pointerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Go to your nearest LazyBoy store & check it out. They have sales all the time. You don't need 'RV' furniture. We found some very nice, comfortable, wall hugger recliners.... so easy to fall asleep in one! The backs lift off so they're easy to get through the door.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfurstar View Post
Yeah I hadn’t thought a ton about the door…we just want to put a 60 inch leather jackknife sofas where our original one is….the original doesn’t have a lot of comfort and is starting to break down.

I had a leather love seat I thought would go in. It did not. I'd suggest trying the replacement prior to taking out the existing.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Go to your nearest LazyBoy store & check it out. They have sales all the time. You don't need 'RV' furniture. We found some very nice, comfortable, wall hugger recliners.... so easy to fall asleep in one! The backs lift off so they're easy to get through the door.

Lazy Boys are heavy and hard to move around. That's why we went to Stressless. Lighter, better looking, and more comfort.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #12

We have two La-z-boy recliners and they are no heavier than the Rec-pro sleeper that they replaced. We got the smaller wall huggers. Generally rv furniture gets anchored down so it doesn't move down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Lazy Boys are heavy and hard to move around. That's why we went to Stressless. Lighter, better looking, and more comfort.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furniture, replace, replacement