Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Replacement of carpet with laminate in a RV

Getting ready to replace our Class A RV carpet with laminate and am looking for things others have learned to help in this process.
Harold D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What Make/Model/Year rig do you have, it might help providing advice.

I replace the carpeting in the front LR and rear BR areas, I left the ceramic tile. I did use a floating floor type laminate and it was approximately the same height as the tile. I did use thin trim pieces at the transition between the laminate and tile. I made piece out of Oak, planned down to ~3/16" thick by ~1.5" wide and stained the same color as the laminate. I had to make sure the kitchen slide would clear the trim pieces.

I stripped out the old carpeting, it was hard to get all of it out from under the slide but when I started laying the new floor I started there, pushing the flooring all the way tight to the wall under the slide. The laminate was the snap lock type but I still used a good waterproof glue to help hold it together and prevent any split liquid from going into the joint. I still wanted the floor to float but when I got to the center I applied a large amount of gorilla glue and laid the laminate over it and then weighted it down. I figured this would help hold it centered and provide for a solid feel. I worked my way across the coach and when I got to the other side I made the seam fairly tight and when I was done I filled the void with silicone to prevent dirt from getting it it. I didn't even have to use a trim piece.

I also laid the laminate all the way to the front, working around the seat mount (I removed the seats to make it easier to work. I loosened the side consoles and was able to slide the laminate underneath. Same with the small console for the radio bumpout. I was able to use the trim piece around the stairwell, the laminate was thin enough so that it slide in where the carpeting had been, this provided for a nice finished look. I removed the plastic shroud around the steering column and lay the laminate right to the firewall.

In the bedroom I cut the carpeting up under the bed platform and was able to use wide pieces of trim to go under the platform. I did have to use some 1/4 type trim pieces next the bedroom cabinets.

I did this job in in 2009 and the laminate has held up well, don't foresee having to redo do it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Ours is a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder. I had not thought of gluing it but might not be a bad idea.
Harold D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You need to plan for the expansion & contraction, which probably will be more than in a S&B due to greater temperature range. I thought this guy had some good data you can use to plan it out. https://www.floorstoyourhome.com/blo...cts-the-least/
Old 02-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Look at my post #75 in the thread below. It's more work than I bargained for!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ano...-213472-6.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, carpet, replace, replacement