Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Hes4all, perhaps I should have said" they don't Have any more amp- hours than a wet cell or have a life span any longer than a wet cell".
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post

The ad starts with "Nothing short of incredible" and continues along that same thread. The science part is a bit weak. Do they hold and dispense a reserve of water?
They are designed to capture and return a large percentage of the condensate back to the battery versus evaporating to the air.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Hes4all, perhaps I should have said" they don't Have any more amp- hours than a wet cell or have a life span any longer than a wet cell".

You are correct with the amp hours. Amp hours are amp hours!

And for your experience with AGM's, I would say yes for the life span.
But for me, they have lasted longer than any wet cell that I have ever had.

And the recharge time is quicker so I don't have to run the geni much. But I do know that that depends on you charger. With my three stage I leave the charge at 100%.

My coach had the AGM's when I bought it so I can't say at that time if I would go with them. But with my experience with them now and with what my friends go through that vacation with me, I can say that I would buy them now.

Just personal preference now!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #18

It seems to me the only ones who get any real value out of AGM or Gel cell batteries is the guys who will not maintain a battery. Anyone willing to schedule a hour or 2 a month to take care of their coach will save money and have much better luck with quality wet cell batteries. One thing I can tell you is when you pull your coach in my bay I can tell what stuff you take care of and what you ignore. When the latches are rusted shut on your gen door I can be pretty sure you don't maintain it very well. The same can be said for your battery compartment, filthy covered with sulfur and all the cables corroded likely means you really thought maintenance free was really that. The opposite is when I open one and the batteries are clean the cables are in good shape and they look like new even though they are 4 years old.
The other thing I have seen in 15 plus years is the guys that constantly complain about junk batteries are the ones who do the least to maintain them. As stated above there are some really good applications for each type of battery but the maintenance free idea is not one of them even AGM batteries like some care.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pubs View Post
New owner getting ready to replace 5 yr old 6v batteries. What makes the sealed glass mat batteries worth twice the money?

Longer life or just easier to take care of?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
If you go with AGM make sure your converter or inverter charger is capable of being set to properly charge them. The wrong charger or settings will ruin your new batteries.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pubs View Post
New owner getting ready to replace 5 yr old 6v batteries. What makes the sealed glass mat batteries worth twice the money?

Longer life or just easier to take care of?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Go here and see what Lifeline says Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

And as mentioned above, every battery needs maintaining.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Like many things, you get what you pay for.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trojan's thick plate true deep cycle batteries such as the T105 is rated at 1200 life cycles. Their thin plate batteries are rate at 600 life cycles. Life Line says their's are rated at almost 1000 life cycles. Of course unless any battery is not maintained properly or discharged more then 50% depth of charge regularly any battery will die prematurely.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, replace