Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #1

Replacing EMS - How hard is it?

Hi,
I have to replace my EMS on my 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD. I emailed Intelletic and here is what they said:
"Hi Darryl,

If you are connected to 50 A and the remote ems displays 30A then the mode of service sense circuit is damaged which requires that the EMS board be replaced. Your current model is obsolete and you will need to replace the EMS board, remote display panel and order some interconnecting cables to mate up with our existing wire harness. If you do not feel comfortable performing the change, always consider taking the coach into an RV service / repair center.

Here are the part numbers:

00-009011-000, EMS board
00-00903-250, Remote EMS display panel
11-00903-200, interconnect cable, required
11-00903-300, interconnect cable, required

Here are the distributors that you may contact beyond Winnebago. Master Tech is located in Marshall, MI:

Master Techs, phone number is 800.848.0558

I have attached the new manual so you can familiarize yourself with the change-over. If you have additional questions, please feel free to reply to this email address at your convenience. Good luck and have a great day!

Jeff"

So my question is, how difficult is it replace this? I don't think replacing the circuit board will be too hard, but I do have concerns because it sounds like I have to run a new cable between the display panel and the circuit board. Any idea how hard that is?

Thanks,

Darryl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are confident in replacing the control board then the rest should be easy as Jeff says "order some interconnecting cables to mate up with our existing wire harness." It should be just plug and play on each end for the control board and remote display.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Darryl,

Do you mind posting the background info as to why it needs replacing. The reply states 'connected to 50 amp, EMS thinks 30'.. Is that your problem and has it happened in more than one RV park? Just curious as we are in an '06. Thanks,

Bob
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
Darryl,

Do you mind posting the background info as to why it needs replacing. The reply states 'connected to 50 amp, EMS thinks 30'.. Is that your problem and has it happened in more than one RV park? Just curious as we are in an '06. Thanks,

Bob
Control panel always shows 30 amp. Plugged in to 2 different 50 amp services (different campgrounds). I tested the voltage at the circuit board and it read 240 V, so I know it was getting 240V there. Does that make sense to you?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Community Administrator

When I bought my MH it had a washer/ dryer. I had it taken out and replaced with three huge drawers anyway I thought it would be a good idea to shut off that breaker. Well it took a few techs to discover that by shutting off that breaker was the cause of my EMS reading as yours does. Maybe that's your situation as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
When I bought my MH it had a washer/ dryer. I had it taken out and replaced with three huge drawers anyway I thought it would be a good idea to shut off that breaker. Well it took a few techs to discover that by shutting off that breaker was the cause of my EMS reading as yours does. Maybe that's your situation as well.
Unlikely since he's seeing 240V at the EMS circuit board. If he was seeing 120V or 0V it could be the sensor or the breaker(s) the sensor is connected to.

joe
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Yeah - I read that a few days ago and tested that. Wasn't the issue unfortunately.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver

Unlikely since he's seeing 240V at the EMS circuit board. If he was seeing 120V or 0V it could be the sensor or the breaker(s) the sensor is connected to.

joe
Maybe so but since he has the same MH as me, I hope he checks to see if one of his breakers are off.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin

Yeah - I read that a few days ago and tested that. Wasn't the issue unfortunately.
I was hoping that would be it. Oh well , back to the drawing board. Let us know when you find out.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #10

Take a look at the manual for the new stuff and compare it to what you have. Do you understand the changes and are able to identify all components and their location? Do you have the tools to do the job and test equipment to verify your instillation?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin View Post
Control panel always shows 30 amp. Plugged in to 2 different 50 amp services (different campgrounds). I tested the voltage at the circuit board and it read 240 V, so I know it was getting 240V there. Does that make sense to you?
I was just curious. We have not had that problem, but did have a problem where the EMS had shed its first two shed points (water heater and refrigerator for us) and left them that way, even with available amps. We had been parked in a driveway and with the long run had low AC voltage that seemed to be the cause of the problem. Plugging into a good clean 50 amp source cleared the shed problem.

Two other times we have had weird AC issues. The EMS acted ok, the problem was the CG was only wired for 30 amps, but had a 50 amp outlet on it. Just switching from the 50 over to the 30 cleared the AC issues.

Bob
Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #12

So the replacement board and panel came yesterday, and I installed them. The installation really is quite easy.

There is a couple of odd things though. I was very careful to take a picture, and then label the wires on the original board, to be sure I didn't mix them up. The one odd thing on the original wiring was that there was a jumper wire between Line 2 and Relay 2. That didn't see to match the instructions I had, so when I installed the new board, I didn't add the jumper.

After the install though, I powered everything up and the display panel showed 50amp - and given I was plugged in to 30 amp, that made no sense. So I fired up the generator and the display panel still showed 50amp.

So I shut everything down, and connected the jumper wire, and re powered everything up. This time the panel correctly displayed 30amp, and correctly displayed generator when I fired it up. I was not able to test 50 amp because I don't have a 50 amp connection at home - I'll have to test that next weekend.

I've attached the installation instructions, and a picture of the original board in which you can see the jumper wire.

So my question is, what is that jumper wire for, and is it really normal?

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original EMS Board.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	20994  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EMS Installation Instructions.pdf (608.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

L2 to Relay 2? If the schematic is right (Relay 2 is for the fridge), that doesn't make any sense at all. Are the other wires actually for the things shown in the install schematic?

However, I see what appears to be a jumper in the schematic on pages 13 (30A ) and 16 (50A). I see no explanation of it, but the jumper wire shows in the schematic.

I also don't see how the circuit board could mistake 30A for 50, or generator for 50A. On my EMS (a lightly different Intellitec model but very, very similar), generator or not is determined by a 12v feed from the generator. And 50 vs 30 is strictly a voltage measurement across the inputs - 220v or more means 50A and anything else is 30A.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
L2 to Relay 2? If the schematic is right (Relay 2 is for the fridge), that doesn't make any sense at all. Are the other wires actually for the things shown in the install schematic?

However, I see what appears to be a jumper in the schematic on pages 13 (30A ) and 16 (50A). I see no explanation of it, but the jumper wire shows in the schematic.

I also don't see how the circuit board could mistake 30A for 50, or generator for 50A. On my EMS (a lightly different Intellitec model but very, very similar), generator or not is determined by a 12v feed from the generator. And 50 vs 30 is strictly a voltage measurement across the inputs - 220v or more means 50A and anything else is 30A.
OK,
I don't understand it either. However, thanks for pointing out the jumper on the schematic. I don't understand how I missed that - I must have looked at the schematics 5 times . . .

In any case, everything but 50 amp is tested and working. Tomorrow late I'll be able to test the 50amp and see . . .

Darryl