Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

Replacing Motorhome Tires

We have a 2015 Thor Challenger and time to replace the tires. Original tires are Michelin 235 80 22.5 and looking at comparable size Toyo suggested by an RV repair shop.

Anyone have any experience with Toyo Motorhome tires?
Pops R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops R View Post
We have a 2015 Thor Challenger and time to replace the tires. Original tires are Michelin 235 80 22.5 and looking at comparable size Toyo suggested by an RV repair shop.

I don’t have experience with Toyo yet, but I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’m leaning that way, and not just for price. They seem to have good quality control, good research and development and very similar specs to michelin. And there are a lot of coach owners happy with them. I have about a year to go, but so far Toyo is getting my vote.

Also if you are thinking about a minor tire size change, for whatever reason, this is a great tool:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I’m looking at a higher weight rated tire for the fronts, or maybe all 6, so I can reduce my air pressure to improve the ride a bit. Right now my fronts are at 110 and I can lower that to 85-90 with the right tire. Rears are at 90 so not really an issue.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced the Michelins on my MH with Toyos 8 years ago, they still look like new. I have ordered a new set now that covid restrictions are lifting and we are ready to travel. Toyo's are great tires.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I replaced the Michelins on my MH with Toyos 8 years ago, they still look like new. I have ordered a new set now that covid restrictions are lifting and we are ready to travel. Toyo's are great tires.
Which Toyos did you order?
Getting ready to replace the Goodyears that came on my MH with Toyos
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Following
Old 04-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd10 View Post
which toyos did you order?
Getting ready to replace the goodyears that came on my mh with toyos
265/75r 22.5 m154

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Anybody replaced 315/80R 22.5 with anything other than Michellins? My XZA 2 Energy's look like new but are 7 years old. Dealer told me they have been replaced by the X-Line Energy Z. The fronts require 120 PSI but the duals and tags only require 85 PSI. I'm more concerned about the steers since they run at near capacity 100% of the time, but the others only run at <60% capacity. Just trying to decide if I need to replace all or just the steer axles.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Just put Sumitomo ST719 245/75R22.5 on. They are exact same height as Michelin’s but tread is 1/2 in wider. Got them from Walmart.com for $290 per tire. Arrived in a few days. Local installer charged $50 per tire to mount and balance.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops R View Post

I don't see much talk about Bridgestone. I called my favorite local tire shop, (actually they have shops all over the midwest) but this is one we used a lot for semi tires. He went through the conversion charts and, thought he could get Michelins if I wanted but no guarantee on the manufacture date.

We went over Toyo, Michelin and Bridgestone. Bridgestone is what he has put on tons of motorhomes. They were a bit more than Toyo's ($26 each) but he swears by them.

Anybody have any experience with them?
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Anybody replaced 315/80R 22.5 with anything other than Michellins? My XZA 2 Energy's look like new but are 7 years old. Dealer told me they have been replaced by the X-Line Energy Z. The fronts require 120 PSI but the duals and tags only require 85 PSI. I'm more concerned about the steers since they run at near capacity 100% of the time, but the others only run at <60% capacity. Just trying to decide if I need to replace all or just the steer axles.
Personally I am not a fan of replacing a partial set of tires. I just ordered 6 new Bridgestone's as that is what my trusted tire shop has been putting on a ton of coaches my size.

The only time I would replace on or two tires is if they were new or nearly new and I had a problem with one of them. If yours are 7 years old replace them all.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post

I'd replace them all, if not now, by next year. "All" because you either trust them or you don't. But if they really are "like new", I wouldn't worry about running them another year. There's nothing magic about age 7 - it's just a reminder that tires get old & tired too.

Have you considered going with 295/80's on the rear? Obviously the 315's are way overkill for drive & tag axle. Maybe save some buck$?

Don't hear much at all about 315/80's in brands other than Michelin. Hankook makes a steer-axle-only 315, and Toyo has 315's in their M144 model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:38 PM   #12

I've had good luck with both Toyo and Sumitomo. I give the edge to the Toyo as they seem to handle uneven pavement better, such as when you get too close to the transition between roadway and shoulder or are running through a construction zone.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd replace them all, if not now, by next year. "All" because you either trust them or you don't. But if they really are "like new", I wouldn't worry about running them another year. There's nothing magic about age 7 - it's just a reminder that tires get old & tired too.

Have you considered going with 295/80's on the rear? Obviously the 315's are way overkill for drive & tag axle. Maybe save some buck$?

Don't hear much at all about 315/80's in brands other than Michelin. Hankook makes a steer-axle-only 315, and Toyo has 315's in their M144 model.
I'm getting prices on the M144's now from a commercial tire dealer that I've done business with for years. He sells about everything (except Michellins) and he speaks very highly of the Toyos.

Funny thing, between last week and now, FMCA's site doesn't show any Michellins available in my size. Last week there were a dozen listed. Now they only reference to a BF Goodrich, which I wasn't aware that they made truck tires. Does anybody have knowledge of them. I ran them for years on LT's. They were tough but not very high mileage.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for TOYO. They are a much quieter and better riding tire than the stock GY RV tire. We had 6 (19.5" tires) installed for $ 2,500. That's $416 per tire installed. That was $1,500 cheaper than any other brand. We have over 4,000 miles on them.

Tags
tires, motorhome, motor, tire