Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #29

I'm assuming that you're focused on ex-rentals because you are placing a ton of value on a low price point. Are you also going to believe what the rental company tells you about how well the RVs are maintained, and that everything should be working fine? Will you pay for a good, independent survey?

It sounds bass-ackwards to me that somebody would buy a coach for a fabulous trip without actually looking at a number of models and finding one that seems to fit what they're wanting to do with it? Do you like to fix things, and will you want to spend the time travelling to parts stores instead of to sights to see?

Rentals are bare-bones work-horses. Does that bother you at all?

Think this through a little more, IMO.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #30

If I was in your position I would not buy a rental RV. I would think they would be very difficult to sell when your trip is over. This to me would be due to very high miles, bargain basement model and it’s history as a abused rental RV.

RV’S can be difficult to sell and getting a rental is just that much harder. I think you would be better off getting a used coach, even one that’s 10 yrs old can be a good buy and not to difficult to resell due to it’s price.

Check out pplmotorhomes.com for a good selection of used well priced RV’s
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #31

For 30k, why not consider buying an older model. The depreciation on an older model will have already been done, and you may get away with using it for free or close to it. If you bought a ten year old rv, or slightly older, it is not going to depreciate much in six months. As stated, look for one well cared for, that already has all the required goodies on board. Getting one fully equipped is not out of the question if the owners are getting out of rving. Your odds of getting a good one are about the same as an ex rental. On top of that you can get one that has higher end finishes and equipment. You will enjoy your trip more in the nicer rv, and it will be easier to resell when your done as it doesnt carry the stigma of an exrental.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #32

Hmmmm. I'm digesting all of the posts and what I'm getting is this: if all you want to do is buy a basic RV and hold onto it forever, then do a really good inspection on an ex-rental RV and go for it. On the other hand, if you want to buy an RV for the specific purpose of making one trip of only a few months, don't buy an ex-rental RV because you'll have trouble selling it again.

I should mention that our price point isn't 30k per se. That's just what the CruiseAmerica RV's cost. I would be happy to spend more, financed if neccessary, to get an RV that is easier to sell at the end of our trip for anywhere near what we bought it for.

What I'm getting is that our best bet is to look for a newer, lower mileage, well-equipped RV from a private seller, preferably an older couple that is getting out of RV-ing. That last one is difficult though: most ads don't include information on the sellers' stage in life Still, the point is well taken. We'll probably focus our search on those types of RV's.
Arveenewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #33

Don't get too hung up on newer, instead focus on condition, maintenance history etc. Age in itself does not start becoming a factor until you cross about the 5-6 year old age. RV tires typically age out vs wear out, and should be replaced about every 7 years, so you will often see someone selling an 8-10 year old coach that still has it original perhaps unsafe tires. Batteries if properly maintained also have about a 6-7 year expected service life. A set of tires and batteries can run over $3,000 on a class C and over $5,000 on a class A gas coach. Somewhere around the 12 year age you start running into a lot more age related component issues, mostly rubber parts rotting due to age this includes various suspension and steering bushings, hoses, belts, etc. Also somewhere in the 12-15 age range you will typically start to see failures on rv appliance due to age, such as air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. This is not to say that some 30 year old air conditioners are still running, just that it is rare.

Therefore, maintenance and service history become more and more important with age.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arveenewbee View Post

What I'm getting is that our best bet is to look for a newer

(why, when units 20-years old can be just as good, or better?)

, lower mileage,( 95% of RVs are low miles, so look at tire ages instead of miles)

well-equipped RV from a private seller,(they know their vehicle and won't lie through their teeth to sell it, mostly)

preferably an older couple that is getting out of RV-ing. (age doesn't get them out of RVs, it's a change in lifestyle).

That last one is difficult though: most ads don't include information on the sellers' stage in life Still, the point is well taken. We'll probably focus our search on those types of RV's.
Go to dealer lots to check out how brands are put together. The more you sit in one or the other, the more you'll recognize things you like or don't/ want or need.

Look at basement storage; that is a big thing when long hauls are ahead. Are you guys minimalists, or hoarders? Can you sleep at night knowing there's only one roll of TP in the pantry?? If not, put Storage on the top tier.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I think the OP us very optimistic on resale. Mileage alone would keep me from being interested.
I don't think you would find a 3 year old "private sale" RV with over 100k in mileage. Another thing at least what I have seen are most large RV rental companies don't put awnings on their units.

Now if you find after your 4-5 month journey you want to purchase a RV more to your liking, and you can't find a buyer, maybe using it as a trade will get you into that new RV or at least a used unit that checks all the boxes.

I want to add this in there. If you go on Rvtrader and punch in "Thor Majestic 23A" you get all the rental units Cruise America is selling. Every one of them uses "STOCK" pictures ( the same pictures for all 95 Thor Majestic 23A it is selling ) to advertise that unit. I personally find that mis-leading. Those were pictures of the unit when it was new and on the rental market. On Cruise America website they have 95 of the 23A floorplan being sold, all using the same pictures.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Buy an older RV.

I just re-read some of your posts and realized that you are mainly asking questions about Class C RVs. Most of my thoughts apply to shorter Class A RVs. Since I just finished writing this, I am going to post it anyway. For a 4 or 5 month trip, you might like a shorter Class A......

I like the idea of buying an older gas RV from a higher end RV manufacturer such as Tiffin or Newmar. I would look for a unit with low or average miles in good condition. (you will probably need to purchase tires and batteries). Be sure to look and see how they are constructed and compare the higher end units to the more bargain priced units. The better RVs have solid wood cabinets, thicker walls with better insulation, dual pane windows and higher end finish outs that then to wear better.
Most gas RVs use the Ford F53 chassis. One thing to remember is that these chassis's are rated from 18K lbs up to 26K lbs. For a particular length RV, the higher end manufacturers will sometimes use the heavier weight chassis.

Some F53's drive better than others, so give it a good test drive. There are suspension upgrades that can fix most of these issues - it just takes more money. Be sure to look up Cheap Handling Fix on this website. It's by far the most bang per buck.

Here is an example of one RV I saw on rvtrader.com :
2010 Newmar Bay Star with 29,800 miles for $49,900.
(Disclaimer - I own a 2013 Newmar Bay Star)

Now is a good time to buy an RV. Prices tend to be lower in the winter months. Dealers and individuals get fewer calls this time of year.

Good luck on your decision. Several others have made these same suggestions, these were my thoughts.
Regards,

Jerry
Old 12-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #37

I completely agree with those that say to look for an older, higher-end, coach or Class C. RVs are like boats, and RV owners are like boat owners; you can tell very quickly whether they babied their prizes, or whether they let time takes its toll.

Find a low miles, 10-year-old unit that's been kept in perfect operating condition. All of the bugs have been worked out, upgrades have been made, and the owner will be able to give you step by step operating instruction.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
We faced the same dilemma back in 2002 when we decided we wanted to do a cross country trip and spend 2 months on the road seeing all the sights in between. We looked at renting from CruiseAmerica and others but the cost was really outrageous.

We ended up buying a used travel trailer instead of a motorhome. Nobody will ever ask you how many miles you have on the trailer, maintenance is minimal and we already had a truck to pull it with. Was the best decision we ever made. We ende up keeping that trailer for another 6 years and when we traded it in for our first motorhome we only "lost" $2,500.

Might be a solution for your problem as well.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I think the OP us very optimistic on resale. Mileage alone would keep me from being interested.

It's unlikely you'd be enticed with such a unit prior to the private purchase, due to the mileage. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our aversions to potential mechanical problems.

And I can't quite picture you in a Four Winds of any description, let alone a 23A!

Have fun and safe travels always.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #40

I own the exact unit you're considering, except it's a 2005. I put about 1500-2000 miles a year on mine (pre-retirement, I am). I bought it going on 4 years ago. So far I've replaced the steer axle tires and house battery; drive axle tires will be replaced in spring. "Ferd" is my first RV and mostly it's been a good experience.

I wasn't sure how much RV I'd want/need/like and the deal I got on Ferd was killer - just over $17k as the 2nd private owner since Cruise America sold it. Came to me with 124,000 miles and a nasty cigarette/cigar odor that the dealer's crew (Bob Hurley RV in Tulsa) was able to mostly take care of (I had the upholstery professionally cleaned and took the curtains out for dry cleaning; that took care of the remaining odor). There had been a roof leak in the cab-over area that was repaired, probably by C.A. as it was done well.

All of the house features work - convection microwave, propane stove top, furnace, water heater. Holding tanks don't leak, water pump works.

It has some evidence of its rental use, mostly related to the coach door well (some heavy folks stomping into the unit?) that will eventually need to be fixed but for now are acceptable. I could probably sell it for what I paid for it after seeing what similar Class C units are selling for in my area.

As for general condition - these were the stock in trade for Cruise America. The last thing they want is to have units they can't rent as every day a unit is off line represents unrecoverable overhead expense. They take pretty good care of the drive train and mechanical stuff and I'd give them an 8 out of 10 for interior and house system maintenance. They pay for some specific (and undisclosed) mods to Thor's standard appointments - my best guesses are floors and fabrics as mine are original and show low wear for their age - and some construction details to minimize problems caused by rental drivers.

What I've found out so far is that a 23a is too small for the way I'd like to travel in the future but for now it's been a good learning tool and that when I sell it, I will have no regrets about its condition going to the next owner.

If C.A. has an office convenient to you I think you should go kick some tires and take a test drive. All the units of each size are identical (that's why C.A. uses the same pics in all their advertising), even between recent model years.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #41

Hi, so my two cents. The wife and I live in Alaska and we purchased a rental. There is a company up here that offers excellent deals on RVs. They offer you the option to buy them brand new or wait until after the summer rental period and get them for ridiculously low prices later. They do an excellent job maintaining them. (as they have to make sure they are running good for the rental season.) We purchased our class c winnie back in 2011 and its ran just fine since and we never had any issues with it. (Except for the one year i didn't drain the hot water tank, ouch) I did do a thorough checkout of it before we purchased. They typically have about 20 or so that they rent out and then sell at the end of the year so you have a few you can look at and pick the one you like. I can't attest to how its done elsewhere in the U.S. but here they do a really good job and its their reputation which here in Alaska can kill you if you really screw folks over.
MrAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I worry you will put money into on repairs and when you go to sell it ,the mileage will still be way up there good luck what ever you do
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rental, sale