Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you ever reserved campsites at different RV parks for the same period of time?
Yes 11 6.04%
No 171 93.96%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
It's my understanding that they do make the multiple reservations months in advance, then decide at the last minute where they want to go! With campgrounds crowded as they are now, that prevents others from getting a site!
As time goes by, and some area RV parks doing it now. Taking the full reservation fee and not refunding. A couple years ago I had to cancel a 2 week reservation in New England due to mechanical issues that made me change plans to go to the factory. I lost $850 fee for the 2 weeks I was to be there. They said I could re-schedule within a year.

Read the fine print. It was in this one's policy and I missed it,

We are traveling right now since July 5th. None of the RV parks we have stayed were any where near capacity. Lot's of empty sites. In the past we never made reservations until a couple days before departure, and sometimes 4 hours before arrival. I don't do that anymore. So many have figured out it is cheaper to live in an RV than all the hassle of a house and mortgage payments.

I would never consider booking two different places for the same time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #30

Just spent 4 days at Ft Desoto park. This was an extremely difficult reservation to get. One night we went out to a local seafood restaurant.

We reentered the park at 6:30 pm. There was a " no vacancy " sign up. We drove around on a sightseeing trip and counted 25 empty sites.

Mike B
MIKEBOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEBOUNDS View Post
Just spent 4 days at Ft Desoto park. This was an extremely difficult reservation to get. One night we went out to a local seafood restaurant.

We reentered the park at 6:30 pm. There was a " no vacancy " sign up. We drove around on a sightseeing trip and counted 25 empty sites.

Mike B
That's terrible! We volunteered at a very busy national park & doing our nightly rounds we were shocked at the empty sites that people who reserved didn't use. They don't seem to care about refunds. They just ignore their reservations. This hurts others wanting to stay.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #32

I’ve made reservations at a couple CG’s outside of different NP’s with dates that overlapped a few days. I then went in later (months in advance) and adjusted the dates at one or both as we dialed in our plans.

Since others have mentioned CG’s with strict/inflexible reservation policies…We’re headed somewhere soon that has multiple choices between great CG’s, one has a zero tolerance policy and one that doesn’t. I purposely chose the one that doesn’t have the zero tolerance policy. It’s the campgrounds right to set their policy but it’s my right to choose not to reserve with them.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #33

No, have not. I do reserve as early as I can for the park I wish to visit. Sometimes this can be up to 9-12 mo early for on the beach type CG's. Things happen of course and these early reservations occasionally have to be cancelled. I do it at the first opportunity that I know I need to cancel thus allowing other campers the availability. I do not practice multiple reservations during same time period. Things are bad enough for RVers trying to get spaces these days!
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #34

I have tried online reservations for 2 spots during the same time. Online won't let me reserve more than 1. If I call I can reserve as many as I need. I must give them names for each site.
I have reserved one site and discovered late a better site had become available. I could not reserve that site until I canceled my first reservation. Luckily it worked out and I got the second site before someone else.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #35

I never did nor would I. It doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks and comments here, the people who do it will continue to do it. Is it right? No it’s not! But nothing will change here. The only way to possibly control this, if there was some type of nation wide booking system, and that ain’t never gonna happen!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
No, but I am guilty of booking neighboring campsites during the same period of time for family or friends. Is that unethical?
Heck no!
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #37

County campgrounds here charge $25 a night and won't take reservations. When I asked why I was told they make more money around holidays because people will park the rig a week early to be certain of getting a site.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
No, but I am guilty of booking neighboring campsites during the same period of time for family or friends. Is that unethical?
Not if they show up...
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #39

I’ve done it… Multiple times. And I will continue to do it. I don’t cancel at the last minute, but I have canceled within a week or so of the reservation days. My job, my time, and my abilities to go in a certain direction (to one campground or another) is very fluid. And as such I will make use of what I can to the best of my abilities. If that means making overlapping reservations 6 months in advance… well so be it. So yeah, maybe people do it not to be a jerk or inconsiderate but have extenuating circumstances that to do this allows them the opportunity to camp somewhere other than the local KOA down the street.

Camping, RV’ing, full timing, weekend warrior, family vacation; whatever you do, whatever you call it, or whatever your camping style, it does not hinge upon what other people want you to do. Sorry, I’m in the minority here, but if I make two reservations knowing that I 90% can make one of them and over 50% thinking I can make the other one instead (even though the 50% is the one I really want), well that’s what I’m going to do.

And to talk about this being an inconsiderate practice… Well there are lots of things that people do that are inconsiderate when it comes to camping reservations. Maybe I want to visit a certain Arizona or Florida campground in January but I can’t because some snowbirding full timers feel like they deserve the spots for 3 months straight instead. Or a State park, but wait… some people play the hopscotch game of camp sites so they can stay longer. Maybe the site that says “30 foot” max that has a triple axle 45’ toy hauler on it instead because they could make it somehow fit (with their truck sitting half in the roadway) would have been a good spot.

Rant over. Sorry. Proceed with the regular broadcast now.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #40

I own a restaurant in Gettysburg PA. Prior to the pandemic, if I got a change to get away for a day or 2 (usually mid-week) I would head to Assateague National Park. Usually always a site. Now they are booked the whole time as soon as they can be booked. Have several chances to get away over the past 2 years and when I go into the Park for day use (thank you Golden Age Pass) early in the morning, I cruise though the campsites and there is always a minimum of 10 empty sites. I asked the staff and the reply is "well we understand but they are paid for in advance." I told them they should charge a "no-show" fee of $50. (No excuses)
lobo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
I know there are public campgrounds where the cancellation fee is higher than the price of a night’s stay with a senior pass. That might be contributing to the lack of us. I also know in public parks it is not uncommon for a few sites to be held by the campground managers in case something goes wrong - a rig is incapacitated and needs an extra day, a site had a terrible camper on it and is contaminated with black water, etc. I was actually moved a couple of times into these sites when something was wrong with the one I reserved.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:33 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post

And to talk about this being an inconsiderate practice… Well there are lots of things that people do that are inconsiderate when it comes to camping reservations.

Rant over. Sorry. Proceed with the regular broadcast now.
And because someone else is inconsiderate, it makes it OK for you to follow suit and be just as inconsiderate. That is not the way to treat others.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps, rving