Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you ever reserved campsites at different RV parks for the same period of time?
Yes 11 6.04%
No 171 93.96%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Reserving multiple campsites at the same time?

Have you ever been guilty of reserving campsites at more than one RV park for the same period of time? It seems that this has become all too common. Then at the last minute they decide which one they want to use and cancel the rest. If you're guilty I don't expect you to comment and admit it, but maybe you will take the survey.

There's a discussion about this in today's RV Travel Newsletter.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Reserving multiple campsites at the same time?

That could be costly as deposits are difficult enough if not impossible to get returned without proper notice. I doubt you’d get anything back with last minute cancellations.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #3

Many people couldn’t care less about the deposit especially since many parks believe they are being customer friendly by either having minimal deposit amounts or a liberal refund policy.
When we owned parks we had neither and boy did we hear excuse after excuse as to why we should deviate from our policies. Thankfully people posted reviews complaining how we wouldn’t treat them as special and the last minute cancellations steadily declined. And surprisingly the number of actual no shows declined as well. Apparently people got the message it would be costly to reserve with us and not actually stay.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
No, but I am guilty of booking neighboring campsites during the same period of time for family or friends. Is that unethical?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
No, but I am guilty of booking neighboring campsites during the same period of time for family or friends. Is that unethical?

Nope, but when I try to do that, many insist that my friends or family call to confirm. Understandable actually
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No, and I have reservations through the 1st week of September. All took CC money up front. I don't see why anyone would have to book at two different parks. Seems crazy.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
No, and I have reservations through the 1st week of September. All took CC money up front. I don't see why anyone would have to book at two different parks. Seems crazy.
I did once, I reserved a site at 1 campground to meet a bunch of friends and plans changed so I reserved another site at another campground for the get together. I tried canceling it but I was going to get like 15 dollars back, I ended up giving the site to a friend of friend for free, otherwise it was a wasted reservation.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with that!
Old 07-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It's my understanding that they do make the multiple reservations months in advance, then decide at the last minute where they want to go! With campgrounds crowded as they are now, that prevents others from getting a site!
Old 07-16-2022, 05:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure the multiple site booking is really the problem. What is a problem is people with an NPS pass that gives 50% off nightly rate booking a week long site, parking an RV on it and not showing up until Friday night. I have seen this time and time again. Very common in CoE parks, where the nightly pass cost is $8-10. It's chump change to hold a site for the weekend.
The hosts don't enforce it. I suspect some are relatives or friends.
It's disgusting how some people game the system.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is very inconsiderate to essentially block sites that others could book. I think this is why we are seeing campgrounds shorten the open reservation period and require larger deposits with stricter rules for cancelling. Just be considerate, there are others wanting to camp as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:52 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This actually sounds like a non-issue as most campgrounds have pretty big charges for canceling and the rest make you personally book. I'm guessing someone can pretend to be someone else, but I just don't see this as an issue to get aggravated over.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #13

IMO it is unethical and self-centered to do that. Then again, the me generation is grown up now, can't call them adults.
I totally agree with the increase in cancellation fees. Some are even adopting a no cancellation within 30 days policy or full fees for the time period will be collected.

Our winter RV park in Florida; if someone cancels within the 30 day period prior to arrival date, a full months fee will be collected.(documented health emergencies excepted)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #14

Many campgrounds take full payment
If you cancel within two weeks of the date you loose the full payment
I don't see this as big problem
Show or no show you paid
08Carriage is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps, rving