Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours is 33 year's old and only works on propane. Stays at 32 degrees. Cold pop and make's ice in trays faster than the fridge in the S&B
I have had my eye on this unit. Pretty good price also.
http://cds.a9t2h4q7.hwcdn.net/main/s...8_B_closed.jpg
ody
Just now found these and they are 5-600 bucks cheaper, than CW Has anyone ever heard of this brand? The First one I looked at was a Fridgedare (sp)and electric only for just under 500 bucks.
Tim
http://www.menards.com/main/store/20...24_product.jpg
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Deja Vu?

Residential Refrigerators operate off of 110. If you have a reasonably constant and reliable source of producing 110, be it from shore power, generator, battery/inverter, or various combinations, this could be a viable option.

The key is, you need to have 110 volts available at that outlet.
True.

We have a Magnum PS2812 inverter/converter, four 4D deep cycle house batteries. We don't even notice the power that the fridge uses.

Our old Norcold fridge was an absolute electricity power hog when it was on propane. It would not surprise me if I learned that our residential fridge uses less electricity than our Norcold did when it was on propane! I don't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin2Camp View Post
Love the propane option!!!!!!
I would not want a coach without it.........But that's just me...
I used to think that way too, but I've seen enough change in the refers, inverters and battery banks to change my mind, at least for our use. We might go a week at like Quartzsite and that's about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
True.

We have a Magnum PS2812 inverter/converter, four 4D deep cycle house batteries. We don't even notice the power that the fridge uses.

Our old Norcold fridge was an absolute electricity power hog when it was on propane. It would not surprise me if I learned that our residential fridge uses less electricity than our Norcold did when it was on propane! I don't know that, but it wouldn't surprise me!

Jim
The old school thinking is that residential frigs draw 15 amp all day, everyday.

The truth is our 25cf Maytag draws 10 amps for around 1 hour out of the day. Cycling on and off, it just doesn't run as much as people think.

The most popular residential frig swap, only draws around 3.4 amps.

You can buy a 15cf residential frig, dedicated converter, extra batteries and solar system to help charge the batteries for about the same price as a Norcold/Dometic gas frig. Weight is close to the same as well.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I did a power consumption study on my Samsung RF-197 fridge over a few months of use.

The results were that it used 1.81-1.83 KwH's per day.

If you do the math, P = V x I, where P = the Watts (1800), V = Volts (120) and I = Amps, you will get 15 amps for a 24 hour period.

This turned out to be 50% higher than what the Energy Sticker stated which was 445 KwH per year estimated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Interesting finding, curious how many others could be that far off.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As others have mentioned, it really depends on the type of use that you will be primarily using your motorhome for.

They are as different as comparing apples and oranges. It's really not fair to directly compare them, because they each have their strength which is dependent on how you will use it. And they BOTH produce very cold beer, (unless you have a bad absorption refrigerator).

Essentially:

Absorption Refrigerator = Better for Boondocking.
Residential = Better when hookups are readily available.

That's it!

Yes, you can boondock with a residential refrigerator, but it generally costs an investment of several thousands of dollars for batteries, inverter, switches, fuse panels, and ultimately a good solar panel installation and a controller. All to accomplish exactly what the absorption unit can do naturally.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #22

propane frig. not getting cold , any help will do jat
Jatlatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatlatch View Post
propane frig. not getting cold , any help will do jat
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/refri...ml#post2546086

If that does not answer your problem then do a search for your model not getting cold. Assuming the lights light etc. If nothing works search for your model dead. If nothing found then start a thread for your model dead.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator