Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #1

Resort Prohibiting Cats

I just stayed at a Highway West Vacations resort called Flying Flags Avila Beach near Pismo Beach, California. They are a new resort but have several very popular sister resorts in California. I was told that the resorts no longer allow cats at their resorts! The web page has their pet policy as requiring $50 pet pet per stay as a "non refundable" pet "deposit" but does not list the types of animals allowed. Looking on the Flying Flags Buellton site it says no cats or exotic pets, it only list dogs as OK.

A warning to those who are planning vacations to the Flying Flags resorts and I hope this is not an industry trend as we always travel with our 2 cats.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #2

You might want to call the RV park and ask specifics as to 'why'. It would be interesting to know the reason.

Perhaps they were getting too many cats left behind, both cats & dogs should be on a leash, disposal of kitty litter correctly, picking up after the cat when walking it on a leash are just some thoughts that come to mind. I have no idea otherwise.

You might have to change from using Flying Flags. There are other options.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:32 PM   #3

Travel with 2 cats..............so the Resort turned you away or you did stay with the cats at the resort?

Excessive MEOWING when left alone in RV...........cats can be annoying
Fortunately we just have a yapper......LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:32 PM   #4

:::::crosses Flying Flags off the list:::::

Thanks for the heads up.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #5

Egyptians thought cats were gods; cats were content to leave it at that.

I've had a family of 4 felines 'adopt' me over the holidays. I doubt I'd travel with them (I suspect they belong to someone as they're very friendly) but I think the gray tiger would transform in to Bephomet if you tried to separate him from his siblings or the food dish.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #6

Wonder if these parks having such exclusionary rules can legally ban "Comfort" pets.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Wonder if these parks having such exclusionary rules can legally ban "Comfort" pets.
Emotional support animals do not have the same legal standing as trained *service* animals.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Emotional support animals do not have the same legal standing as trained *service* animals.
Somewhere, someone will make a challenge and the FHA will be at their side.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:11 PM   #9

If there are people abandoning their pet (cat OR dog or anything else) at an RV park, then those are horrid people and should not be allowed to participate in civilized society.

My cats are family members, and I'm sure most other cat people would say the same. As for "meowing when left alone"..... Sounds like someone who has never owned a cat. That's not how they work. They like their people, but are definitely NOT dependent on their people for entertainment during the day. Cats are not needy in that way, certainly not like dogs are.

Too many RV parks have "pet" policies when the word they really mean is "dog" and you can usually detect this when they will have specific restrictions on "large breed" b/c cats don't come in "breeds" unless you happen to have a mountain lion or a tiger as your kitty?

I would wager that the vast vast VAST majority of RVs who might have a kitty on board, you would never know you were parked next to them b/c the kitty is indoor only (as they should be) and their litter is ALSO inside the RV. Cats are territorial in that they like their spaces, but DO NOT need to go outside - and unrestricted roaming is a fast way to become lost. I have had 2 kitties dumb enough to try and escape through the front door of my RV, both immediately circled around the front tire and went from front to back and back to front under the RV, meowing (unhappy) about being "lost" until they were smart enough to let me grab them and bring them back inside. They did not run, b/c they did not recognize their surroundings and were not happy about that.

Why an RV park would make a policy like that is beyond my comprehension, but what they have done is reduced their income potential quite a bit. There are more cat people than dog people in the USA, and more cats overall than there are people. Are they going to restrict what type of interior color choices are allowed next? All they had to do was say "any cats must stay inside your coach at all times" and everyone would likely be just ducky with that.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #10

Wow!
That’s crazy
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Been there.

Service animals are dogs only, and highly trained ones. There have been MANY challenges to this and what happens is that the rules tighten and the challengers do not prevail. Folks who try to pass off their emotional comfort animal as a service animal are doing a great disservice to those who actually need them.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Federal housing administration? I don't think they would have jurisdiction over an RV park or campground (unless deeded lots), but there are kinds of strange things...

I'm pretty sure that's been done already (the legal challenge) and you no longer see folks with "support" peacocks, pythons, or alligators flying on aircraft. You don't see as many folks trying to fake a service animal as were trying a few years ago, either.

The Americans with Disabilities Act is pretty definitive on what a service animal is, and those are the only animals that are required under the Act to be accommodated. Local or state laws may be more lenient but can't be more restrictive.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Been there.

Service animals are dogs only, and highly trained ones. There have been MANY challenges to this and what happens is that the rules tighten and the challengers do not prevail. Folks who try to pass off their emotional comfort animal as a service animal are doing a great disservice to those who actually need them.
Yes it's becoming a big problem and these selfish people are making problems for people with legitimate service dogs. The world is getting more "all about me" every day.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post

In a way I agree with you. Service animals are professionally trained. Plus they are identified on their harness.

Emotional support animals do not require any type of training.

I see too many people in stores, especially grocery stores, with their little darlings in shopping carts or being held like baby. In one instance, both the husband and wife were holding small cats while shopping.

According to the FDA, only trained, registered service animals are allowed inside grocery stores, restaurants and other establishments where food is being prepared.

Some airlines are starting to enforce restrictions on emotional support pets.
BTW, I am a pet owner and pet lover. My dog loves Petsmart and Lowes and Tractor Supply.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat