Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rest Stop Beggars

The DW and I were comming south on I-5 this morning and we stopped at a rest area to answer the call of nature.
As we puilled in there was a car with the hood up and signs all over it saying the car had broke down and they needed cash to get it fixed so they could get the kids warm and home.
Problem was the man was the only one there and he appeared to be old as the hills, I really don't he could have fathered any anyway.
Further the car was late model, expensive, and he was a full fledged bum, dirty and unshaven for years. (Didn't go together).
As we went the other way to get out, there were three more, same signs on the same poster board(No store for 40 miles to buy posterboard)
Now they were not only on the corners but now in the rest areas.
I would have told them to "Get a job" but looks like they have already found one.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hard to tell nowadays. We were in Moses Lake WA about two years ago and befriended an old guy with his dogs and beat up old Chev product. We gave him a tad of money, two sleeping bags (it was cold and he was shivering and trying not to run his car) and bought him a whack of food for his puppies. Hopefully we weren't sucked but it sure didn't look that way at the time.

I agree with you that my normal reaction would have been "Get a job," his puppies were the kicker on this one.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
When "hit up" most often tell them I don't give money to my kids why would I give money to you, a stranger. Thus far it has left them without comment. This may not work for you but it does for this largish grumpy old white bearded guy. That said I have given several $ to those I felt needed a helping hand. The problem is I see daily the same guy (or gal) on the corner with a gas can asking for gas to get home. Those same people seem to have the funds to have large sodas, hamburgers, beers, & cigarettes but are asking for a hand out - I'll pass on those.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too many scammers make it hard to recognize someone who is really in need. I asked the clerk in a gas station about a woman with a child outside asking for money for gas to get to the next town. He told me she had been "working" at the spot everyday for quite a few days. It is hard to turn down a woman with a child but I hate to be scammed. I did pay for some gas for a man in NM on my credit card. Just my opinion.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is very hard to tell anymore:

I'm sure there are a lot of people hurting out there right now and it is not as simple as "get a job". But others do not deserve help.

At the Home Depot in Tucson a man approached me. He had a truck parked off in the distance, piled with stuff a woman and two kids standing beside the truck. Said he needed gas to get to Phoenix where he had a job. I gave him twenty bucks. He was back there same gig the next day. Scam. It is 110 mile to Phoenix twenty would get you there and some.

Another time in Washington was getting in my car and a guy pulled in beside me. He said he hated to ask but he just needed some money for (I really can't remember the speech): Sounded plausible so I gave him twenty. He cried. Who knows maybe he was an out of work actor but I thought at the time it was legitimate.

Once a woman stopped me before I went into a fast food restaurant. She had a young child in tow. She said she was hungry and embarrassed but could I help. I said if she got in front of me in line I would buy her and her child a meal. She did and when it was her turn to order she took the salad bar and a baked potato for each, she and her child. A good meal. She filled the salad bar plates to over flowing before she left, left overs. I think she was hungry, who knows why, always wish I had given her some money as well.

I have turned a lot down, told some to get away before they even had time to speak. Sometimes I give money other times not and really can't explain why just a gut feeling.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #6

Some people choose to beg as a job. I was at a fueling station next door to a McDonald's and I notice woman and 3 kids coming out with large drinks. They can over and wanted money for gas,I'm thinking you can out of McDonald's and you need gas money you should have got gas first. Anyway just because I work for my money and we were in a MH doesn't mean I'm just going to hand money out.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
talked to some real homeless people and they said the cons make between 20 t0 80 dollars and its tax free Most of them will have nicer cars parked somewhere close by Think they should do something to them if they use there children in this manner.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With regard to rest stop panhandlers. I notice their signs usually say something like "anything will do" and I have wondered if by not specifically saying money if they were skirting some law?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post

I have turned a lot down, told some to get away before they even had time to speak. Sometimes I give money other times not and really can't explain why just a gut feeling.
Us too, When I feel led to give I do!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
laj

as long as people will keep giving them money they will keep scamming. no money they will disappear just like any crook. if you feel the need to help " homeless" there are many organizations that are set up to do that. jmo
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
East of Atlanta at Hiway 138 there is a group that hangs there regularly. One had a 'will work for food' sign one day a few years back. Lady stopped at the light and the guy got her attention. She rolled the window down and handed him a bag of McDonalds as the light changed. He looked inside and determined it was food and tossed it into the pile of rubbish that is usually there. I would say the vast majority of these people do not want food, just the cash. If I see a down and out guy (or family) 'needing to get to the next town' for two days or more, it just confirms my suspicions. Maybe I spent too many years on the job to trust anyone. Sad state of affairs our nation is in
Old 10-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #12

Every fast food place in town has "now hiring" posted on their billboards. Yet the same beggars are at Walmart everyday. Some for weeks on end. Some people would rather beg then work. Any able bodied person in the USA that wants a job, can find one in most any field. A job is a job, and underemployed is no excuse for anybody wanting to work. Begging has become a profession for many and some do quite well.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Where on the I5 did this happen?

Nick
Old 10-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Back when I was working in Tacoma, Was close to several major intersections and a couple freeway ramps. You could actually watch these people lining up like they were
getting ready to start a job. I stopped carying any cash. Most of them were able bodied.
At that time jobs were very plentiful. Back then I could afford it now I can't.
Closed Thread

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped