Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #1

Restock fee

I recently took my RV to be serviced at a local RV dealership. I asked about having two awnings put on my windows. They said yes and it could be done within two weeks. I regularly checked on the installation and was told week after week that the awnings had not come in. After two months of waiting I called to say I was coming to pick up my RV and to cancel the awnings since they still have not come in. When I got my bill they charged me a large restocking fee for the awnings. I asked about it and they said I cancelled so therefore the fee. I never got the awnings, nor did the RV shop ever receive the awnings from the company they ordered them from. I have reached out to them several times via email asking about a refund for this fee and have never had a response. Is this a legitimate fee? Actually they even charged me tax on the restocking fee.
LewPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What state are you in?

I owned a retail store in California and the state Board of Equalization has some very stringent rules about restocking fees.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewPete View Post
I recently took my RV to be serviced at a local RV dealership. I asked about having two awnings put on my windows. They said yes and it could be done within two weeks. I regularly checked on the installation and was told week after week that the awnings had not come in. After two months of waiting I called to say I was coming to pick up my RV and to cancel the awnings since they still have not come in. When I got my bill they charged me a large restocking fee for the awnings. I asked about it and they said I cancelled so therefore the fee. I never got the awnings, nor did the RV shop ever receive the awnings from the company they ordered them from. I have reached out to them several times via email asking about a refund for this fee and have never had a response. Is this a legitimate fee? Actually they even charged me tax on the restocking fee.
Read carefully the dealership's policy on Restocking fees. Exactly what does it say. Does it apply to returns, cancelled orders, both, or does it not make it clear? Quite often, a phrase like, "all special order items are subject to a restocking fee," is included. The key words there are,"subject to." I would argue that the words "subject to" makes the fee open to negotiation, especially in a circumstance like this.

These fees usually are justified for having to process paperwork and actually return ship items to suppliers. From what you describe, no transactions beyond your payment actually took place. Everything was either paperwork or electronic.

Try in-person contact with the dealer management or corporate management, if appropriate, as this certainly seems unreasonable. If you get no satisfaction, file a complaint with the BBB. If the amount is worth it, you may even try Small Claims actions. If you paid by CC, contact them even though it's been over thirty days, and see if they will offer relief in the form of a charge back. If nothing else, that will get the attention of the dealership.

Keep us updated, please.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
The only thing I can think is that they were in transit from their supplier, and that they are going to get charged and are passing that on. If that were the case, they should have explained that to you.

If you still want the awnings, one option is to ask to reinstate the order for crediting the restocking fee. Then have them call you when they come in, but keep your rig with you until then.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I think your mistake was paying the fee at the start.

I would suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. This will make it easier for folks to help with any questions you may have. Below is a link showing how to do that! Look at post #30.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ml#post3101035

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
What is in writing on the order that you signed? delivery Time frame and cancelation fees should have been spelled out.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
My first thought is to consult the service quote you signed when to took it in; paying special attention to the terms in the cancelation section. If there's a clause about cancelation fees, you might be on the hook. If there's nothing, then see if you can get an explanation on why the fee (were the parts already shipped/enroute?) & negotiate something with the service manager or dealership manager.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
My first thought is to consult the service quote you signed when to took it in; paying special attention to the terms in the cancelation section. If there's a clause about cancelation fees, you might be on the hook. If there's nothing, then see if you can get an explanation on why the fee (were the parts already shipped/enroute?) & negotiate something with the service manager or dealership manager.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #9

One approach to getting satisfaction is to file a complaint at the local Better Business Bureau. and also file a report with the state Attorneys General office.
I had a problem with a couple vendors (one I purchased a product from and the vendor they ordered from and delivered it). Anyway the product was damaged and neither of the biz would take it back. After filing complaints with the places I mentioned, all of a sudden the place I purchased it from was willing to take it back and refund my purchase. And then they started hounding me to remove the complaints - worked like a champ.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What state are you in?

I owned a retail store in California and the state Board of Equalization has some very stringent rules about restocking fees.
We are in Florida.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #11

Thank you. I am going to call my credit card company and check on filing a complaint with BBB.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
One approach to getting satisfaction is to file a complaint at the local Better Business Bureau. and also file a report with the state Attorneys General office.

I'm a simple minded fellow. How can they charge you a restocking fee on something they never had in stock?

Secondly I would complain to everyone, I would have listed the name of the dealership in your first post. Go to all of the local and state agencies possible. Plaster it all over social media, write reviews of your actual experience everywhere.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
They made a verbal commitment to you the awnings would be installed in two weeks. They were not delivered within the time frame they set. (not you) I would be contacting your state's attorney general and the better business bureau and file a complaint and demand a full refund be credited to your credit card.
Lynn
Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I had a problem with a couple vendors (one I purchased a product from and the vendor they ordered from and delivered it). Anyway the product was damaged and neither of the biz would take it back. After filing complaints with the places I mentioned, all of a sudden the place I purchased it from was willing to take it back and refund my purchase. And then they started hounding me to remove the complaints - worked like a champ.
Thank you! I will try to file a complaint with the BBB.