Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Resurfacing countertops

Has anyone resurface the countertops and table in you RV if so what did you use. And how is it holding up. I have been watching YouTube on it and it doesn’t seem to hard and would love to give more color to it. Any thoughts out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Our fifth wheel kitchen table came with a light maple stain on it that became stained/worn over the first 5 years of use. We used a 1/4 sheet power sander to get the table top back to the raw maple wood. Then put 4 coats of urethane clear coat on it. The table has held up well in the last 4 years since it was refinished and the natural wood finish looks great. Tip - Remove the table to outside the RV for sanding and painting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Top.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	220412  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

We ran across a product over the weekend which is counter tops made with an epoxy resin with the look of granite at a much lower weight and much less maintenance.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Our booth table suffered from the impact of a can of vegetables that slipped out of the wife's hand and caused a half moon arc that punctured through the Formica. I thought I could live with it, but thought better to replace the table top. I called Winnebago and was quoted a whopping $572.00 for a new top. Once I picked myself up from the floor I went to Youtube to learn how to laminate a tabletop. I went to Home Depot and bought as close to matching piece of Formica as I could get, plus a can of contact cement, a rubber roller and a half dozen 7/16" wooden dowel rods. Total Investment was about $50.00. I already had a 3/4" carbide tipped round over router bit as well as a 3/4" flat face bit. I used the flat bit set to the proper depth to remove the old Formica laminate. Here's pics of the process. The first pic was taken after the old laminate was removed.

I then used a pre-mixed wood filler to skin the entire top filling in any imperfections caused by the router and the one caused by the can of beans. Once the filler dried I used a block sander and 100 grit paper to sand the table flat again. The second pic is after sanding and ready for the new laminate.

The third pic is the completed table top with new laminate and the perimeter of the table routed to match the original pattern. What I didn't photograph was the table perimeter stained and finished to match the existing cabinetry. The whole job took me a total of about 4 working hours to complete.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Routered.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	220420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skinned.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	220421  

Name:	Laminated.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	220422  
Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Very nice.
I was thinking about the epoxy resin stuff but I am open. I have done the Formica in the past but was thinking stepping up but I love your pattern.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There are some Formica patterns now that look exactly like granite or other stone. I believe I'd choose Formica over those paint-on resins, but that's just me.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
This is why I am asking. I am open to any help on this.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok just ordered this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Giani-Gr...lain/203644684
Reviews was good so I will give it a shot. The worse case is that I have to lay laminate down.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've re-polished the Corian countertops a couple times. I don't mean just a Corian cleaner either. Used a random orbital sander with progressively finer grits up to 4000 to remove scratches and re-produce the original high gloss.

I also refinished the cherrywood coffee table by sanding and re-varnishing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine is Formica I think it’s not that thick. If I use any sandpaper on it I will see the wood or what ever they used. I am the second owner of this RV and it wasn’t taken care of that well. The countertops is the last thing on my list and they show there age.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Don't sand formica unless you are going to paint it afterwards. You can't do much with mica laminate except clean well, using a very mild solution or polish, but don't expect miracles. There are some products sold for cleaning mica countertops and most home and hardware stores will have them available.

If they are really bad, you can try painting them with one of the various products made for countertops, e.g. Rustoeum or Giani Countertop Refinishing Kits. If you feel creative, do a DIY paint job - there are videos and online instructions.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ro...te-countertops

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Formica-Countertops
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #12

We used the Rustoleum countertop transformations on one of our previous houses, we were going to gut the whole kitchen in a couple years and thought we would give the Rustoleum kit a try to get us by till we did the remodel, I have to say it was actually pretty impressive, we ended up selling the house a year later but it still looked like new and was a very cheap upgrade.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I ordered the Giani kit
Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	220838
Ok kits just got here. Now who likes to paint.