Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Retired fire service group

Are there any retired fire service folks who would be interested in starting a fire service group here on iRV2? If your interested starting a Retired Fire Service group reply with a short bio. I'm Bill, I'm a retired deputy fire chief. I retried in 1997 then went into oil and gas drilling, production and transportation safety and emergency response training until 8/2013. My wife and I are full-timers in a Excel Limited 5er and are currently at Buckhorn Lake RV resort in Kerrville Tx. Then we will move south down to Mission Tx for the winter. If you are interested in starting a group on here reply with a short bio and we will see what happens. Bill
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

retired fire service

I was first introduced into the fire service in 1985 as a volunteer fire fighter I was in my 30s in a small town in Texas I was very involved in all aspects of our department, attending various fire schools and training. I became state certified fireman in 1992 and also trained as a emergency care attendant. My wife shared my passion she was one of the first women fire fighters in or town. She went to all trainings and even went to collage became a certified firefighter as well as a level 2 instructor trainer also trainer for EMTs. We helped encourage SCBAs into our fire service. We laugh about riding a tailboard in the old days. I did this and worked full time as a Manufacturing Engineering at a major aircraft company in Dallas. We retired in 2013 with many fond memories with thousands of runs under our belt. Jim and Linda
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

I would love this, just retired after 31yrs of service. I'm not going into all the training we have to go thru but will tell a little bit about retiring now. I was diagnosed with MS about 9 yrs ago and did well with it up until a year or so ago. I was always on the engine and was always one of the first in. The MS decided for me that I've had enough and have lost a lot of the use of my legs. I can walk some but not far and had decided early on that I was going to fight and last as long as possible but for the fear of getting someone hurt or killed including myself I decided that I had a whole bunch of living to do and gave in to retirement. I still stop the house and am welcomed with open arms. But that's how the brotherhood is and no one can understand that but a firefighter who has been to hell and back with you and lived to tell about it. Enough rambling so yes I love the idea.
Rfd2117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Thanks guys...great bios. I will monitor the interest and see what needs to be done to get our own group. Btw...I also started as a volunteer in NJ third generation. Are either of you full-time RVer's, snowbirds, rv vacations?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
My DW and I are FT in Silver Springs, Florida. Originally from the southern tier of NYS. I was an active vol. FF for about 23 years, 15 years of which I was Ass't Chief of the dept. I had to move to western NY for work and decided I had other interests than starting over in a new dept. I was a career Paramedic for the last 25 years of my working life, but after my 4th back injury have finally given up working and instead collect SSD. We recently bought a lot where we will spend the winter in Wilderness RV Resort, Preserve Estates. This is a Class A, 55+ community near Ocala in the Ocala National Forest.

My training is no longer of interest to anyone so I will not go into it. A Fire Service group sounds very interesting.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your reply medico. Stay tuned. We were in Florida last winter over by Sarasota. Tx this winter.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:34 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
chief02,
I also retired in 97 from a volunteer department in north east Ohio after 27 years of service, including 13 of those years on the county HazMat team. I am also retired and full time, currently staying a little north of Tampa, Florida.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for your reply Frank. Interest is growing. Stay tuned and pass the word. I'll keep you posted.Bill
Old 10-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #9

I was always a paid volunteer and as everyone knows you have a regular job to actually pay the bills. As far as our dept. goes we actually ran more runs than the full time dept. not to far away. My wife and I still work( I only have about 20 months to go) so we are not full timers but being one does look nice. After a few yrs. of not camping we got back into it when the kids went out on their own. Finally found a travel trailer that fits us perfect and plan on using it a lot in the future. So after a break we have realized how much fun it is to get away from it all even if it's only for a few days.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Retired fire service group

The group has been set up and can be found here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f248/reti...ml#post2283328

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks Cliff. I just joined.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Chief02,
I think it is a great idea. I am retired from my bill paying job, but I haven't left the Fire Service yet. I am 3rd generation on a small volunteer department. We run 400 calls a year and I have been a member for 45 years with 30 of those as Chief. I am a nationally certified Fire Office II and an EMT. My biggest joy is to have all 4 of my grandsons now on the department, all of which are 5th generation. My wife and I go on 4 to 5, two to three week RV trips a year.

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The group has been set up and can be found here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f248/reti...ml#post2283328
Thanks for the help, Cliff!

And thanks for the idea, Bill!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

Just joined chief and am looking forward to sharing stories. I have a lot even though I have only put in 31 yrs. Not by choice but things happen in life that we have no control over.