Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having visited 49 of our 50 states and living in 5 which provides some understanding of the weather. I'm more interested in the COST involved in relocating, not just the initial relocation but the long-term financial cost. My internet search has left a lot to be desired which is why I turned to my rRV2 community as ya'll have and are doing it.

Thanks to all who have providing very valuable information on this matter. Haven't lived in GA since 1960s but have spent time there over the years as a guest and rver. Enjoyed TN immensely but winters just a little better than here in central IL. AZ was a vacation location for several years but heat is a factor. Never been to the TX Rio Grande Valley area but friends have told me the dust is a major factor. Thinking of visiting this winter season. Gulf area great, we've loved our times there too. Can't leave FL out and HI would be great if AOC could get that bridge built. (Oh well, I digress.)

Thanks everyone for what you have shared. It is helping me and probably others too.

Drive safe - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What are the RV registration Fees and is there a personal property tax on the RV?
Florida has no personal property tax at all. Registration for a large motorhome runs around $60/year. Smaller ones around $40.

Rural Florida isn't expensive at all, but the popular coastal cities can get pricey.

FL is generally a favorable state for retirees, but your DAV status opens up several more possibilities. You will want to evaluate all your financial options and weigh them against climate, family considerations, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #17

Look-up The Gardens RV Village in Crossville, Tennessee. Each home has its own RV garage and your retirement income is state tax free. There are a considerable number of retired veterans here. We love it!
wla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #18

IMO Florida has been oversold. If you want to visit a state park or find a camping spot in the winter, you had better have reserved it 11 months in advance. We decided it was actually less expensive to keep our house and park the RV beside it for the winter than to stay in a decent campground. I was born in FL and lived here most of my life, but I would not move here to retire. Live where your family is and travel to where the weather is good when you are able.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wla7 View Post
look-up the gardens rv village in crossville, tennessee. Each home has its own rv garage and your retirement income is state tax free. There are a considerable number of retired veterans here. We love it!
👍👍👍
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #20

There are many sites stating 'the best place' to give you ideas. No one state is perfect. States need to make their money in different ways. You just have to pick what's important to you. You won't find the best savings in every state. Also keep in mind big cities vs. small towns, crime, recreational opportunities, hospitals, etc. We found our best in Green Valley, AZ. . 25 mi. to Tucson for big hospitals including a university teaching hospital, a great smaller hospital 5 mi. away, many doctors and senior facilities and help right here, unlimited recreation, minimal crime. It's mainly a 55+ community so most things are geared for that age. Folks living here come from every state, including Canada. Many are part-timers. It has many nice neighborhoods for all price ranges. When homes sell many are completely furnished because the kids don't want to deal with it. That's how we got ours with excellent furnishings. Our two bedroom, two bath was just over $100,000 with mountain views. Listings now in our neighborhood are much, much higher. It's been discovered.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william.../#1f647b955c5a

https://retirearizona.org/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Cost of living and quality of life.

Both mean something different for each of us, in the present and in the future.

Middle Georgia works for us, although there are other places I would prefer to be.
bmcgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Cost of living and quality of life.

Both mean something different for each of us, in the present and in the future.

Middle Georgia works for us, although there are other places I would prefer to be.
That mountain top east of Young Harris, GA--west of Hiawassee--would do me just fine. We drove through Blairsville last week at sundown, and the mountains just south of the North Carolina state line were breathtaking.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #23

Personally, I would never go to the eastern half of the country. Just my opinion, it holds zero interest or desirability for me. I prefer within a couple hundred miles from the four corners. [emoji106]
Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Personally, I would never go to the eastern half of the country. Just my opinion, it holds zero interest or desirability for me. I prefer within a couple hundred miles from the four corners. [emoji106]
We think the opposite. I find no reason to cross the Mississippi River. A whole lot of nothing until the coast. Sadly, the coast consists of CA, OR, and WA. Even those with means are leaving CA and will be ruining TX with the same thinking that turned CA into a place they do not wish to live. I prefer the south, especially the SE.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #25

I am checking out way upstate New York and Vermont for a home base and summers. Will probably be in the southwest in the winter though

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I am checking out way upstate New York and Vermont for a home base and summers. Will probably be in the southwest in the winter though
WoW!! That is a long haul. Of course it can be an interesting and fun trip. Don't rush and enjoy it. We will be spending this winter on the coast of AL this year instead of Florida.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
DW retires end of July..
After researching decided to call South Dakota our "state residence of record", and became residents effective 6-25-19
The deciding factor was taxes...
We are not interested in buying real-estate in the foreseeable future..
Plan on full timing in the RV for 10 years or so then will re-address this question.

Oregon has Income tax (up to 9+%) , and property taxes up the ying yang...but no sales taxes
Oregon will not allow one to deduct the sales taxes paid in other states from their Income tax.
We will be paying 3% to 11% sales taxes in the states we will be visiting, so it would be possible to be paying up to 20% in combined state taxes...
South Dakota on the other hand,... DOES NOT have an Income Tax..just sales & property(real estate) taxes...
And no vehicle inspections or special drivers license endorsements.

We use the Escapees club for our mail forwarding to where ever we happen to park for a week or more.
SD requires 1 overnite RV campground receipt to prove residency.
sales taxes are around 4% for licensing the RV and toad (NADA assessed value)
Only have to return to the state once every 5 years to have your pic taken for the drivers license renewal..

Happy trails and good luck.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
. Of course it can be an interesting and fun trip. Don't rush and enjoy it.
Amen That is the plan from Oct to June with a long stop in Ohio each way to visit the Daughter, Son-in-law and three Grand kids. Wish my Golden Retriever could drive some of the way though

South Dakota would be my choice if full timing and not owning any real property. Added bonus is I believe they don't tax social security either! Most states without sale's tax seem to have this crazy annual thing called "person property tax" like on RVs and your vehicles. In New Hampshire for example I think it is 4% of the "current fair market value" of the vehicle and RV for like 5 years!

Congratulations on your South Dakota citizenship! If still there say hi to Dr. Annette Bosworth she has a Youtube channel called "DR. Boz" all about the healthy benefits of a ketogenic diet for your body and brain check it out

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat