Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wla7 View Post
Look-up The Gardens RV Village in Crossville, Tennessee. Each home has its own RV garage and your retirement income is state tax free. There are a considerable number of retired veterans here. We love it!
Crossville
Sparta
Cookeville
Jamestown and
Byrds town Tennessee

An area of hidden wonders.
Low population
Great friendly people
Close to Nashville and Knoxville or Lexington.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I am checking out way upstate New York and Vermont for a home base and summers. Will probably be in the southwest in the winter though
GREAT! Come on up. The way NY is losing population there will only a few of us left to support this state.
Lynn
Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
GREAT! Come on up. The way NY is losing population there will only a few of us left to support this state.
Lynn
Seems half of NY and NJ has moved to the Carolinas.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
We think the opposite. I find no reason to cross the Mississippi River. A whole lot of nothing until the coast. Sadly, the coast consists of CA, OR, and WA. Even those with means are leaving CA and will be ruining TX with the same thinking that turned CA into a place they do not wish to live. I prefer the south, especially the SE.

Yes please stay East of the Mississippi. That way we can keep West of the Mississippi a desirable place to live. And RV. Especially the West coast. Moderate temperatures year round. No humidity. Unbelievable beauty. And wide open spaces inland from the coast. And we actually cover more than our fair share of paying the costs of running this great country of ours than we get back, unlike most of the freeloading Southeast. I love living in the West, especially in California.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #33

retirement relocation

For sure don't even think about relocation in New York State. If you do I'll give ya a heck of a good price on a house and 2 acres of land in the wooded country side!
I to and a DAV and we do have some good benefits but most are from the VA with it's % for service connected.
The state gives not much but they did give the counties the right to lower property tax and school tax based on percentages, the Star Program for seniors ( mostly) and if voted in by the school districts you could cut your school taxes real good. There are a few levels 1- being a Veteran in time of an active conflict , 2-having a service connected disability and 3- being a combat veteran. There has been some talk about opening it up for Cold War Veterans but I do not know if that became part of the law.
There are a few things I consider a must when I pull up stakes and hit the wind and blow out of New York State...little or no snow, the need for flat land or at least flatter than what I have now...temps usually not lower than the mid 40's ( for the most part and high dry heat is ok but low humidity for sure. Lastly a country wooded setting with a trout stream a walk away from the house. That's the most of it but the most important of all is the ( New relocation state) non taxing of my retirement check as it has already been taxed ( aka no state income tax)! Thats the scoop! Good luck!
K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #34

NARFE - National Association of Retired Federal Employees for Data

For a financial perspective, you should join the National Association of Retired Federal Employees for a year or two. They produce a report once or twice a year on the detail of taxation that the 50 states have on all kinds of retired federal income. They post a wide variety of comments from retired federal employees on the actual impact of some of these.

A secondary consideration is availability of military medicine. My father chose to retire in Northern Virginia because of the availability of quality medical care at Ft. Meyer, Walter Reed and Ft. Belvoir. However, this has been declining in recent years.

It generally worked well until he had strokes and then had to fall back on local doctors under Tricare and Medicare. Avoid sugar, smoking and low cholesterol to avoid strokes (The high cholesterol and low stroke risk was on the news today and it took a while to track it down to a 10,000 person, 9 year study done at the Penn State Hershey medical center to verify its credibility. Apparently, people over 65 with low cholesterol live less long and less healthy then those over 65 with high cholesterol!)

Walk in His Peace,
David

Thanks in advance - Richard[/QUOTE]
ScribeStylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #35

We grew up in Iowa. Since have lived in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, DC, Maryland, and Louisville, KY.

After retiring purchased an RV and played snowbird in Florida for a couple of years. Loved it and while planning what to do about returning to Louisville, KY for summer we realized we needed to move. Louisville is worse in summer than winter. Geography (river valley) and politics (burn coal) makes it a terrible place to live - regular warnings to not go outside if you don't need to. Otherwise, Louisville is a great city. Hated to leave but health comes first. Picked DeLand, Fl. which is mid State. North can be cold, south mosquitoes. We are 25 mi. from Dayton Beach and New Smyrna Beach. Great beaches but unless you need to be there everyday too much tourism, traffic and other issues. We have a nice little town with number restaurants (virtually every ethnic group), college town, no box stores allowed in downtown, etc. We'll never leave.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
I am checking out way upstate New York and Vermont for a home base and summers. Will probably be in the southwest in the winter though
NYS is not as bad as people make it out to be, from a tax perspective. SocSec not taxed, neither is the first 20k distribution from retirement funds. A married couple who has worked can therefore shelter 100k under ideal conditions.

Denton
dentontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #37

https://smartasset.com/retirement/retirement-taxes
dentontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #38

We bought our RV so we could travel throughout the southeast looking for our "perfect" retirement destination and ended up back in Georgia, where we have been for 25 years. You just can't beat the quality of life, weather (OK, so it's hot and humid in the summer), cost of living, reasonable taxation, amenities and proximity to all our favorite destinations. We are in the Atlanta burbs but would definitely consider about an hour further north to the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Absolutely gorgeous and an easy drive into the city when needed.
Essgee1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
We like Alamogordo, NM. For 100% VA disability, no property tax, two no cost permanent vehicle registration ( not a coach 26,000 # and over. Reasonable housing costs. Holloman AFB 6 miles from town, white sands Army post 25 miles away. Mild winters, hot in jun, jul, and sept, but Cloudcroft NM at 14,000 feet and 20 degrees cooler is 16 miles up the mountain.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #40

Retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Looking for recommendations on possible retirement relocation. We are RVers but not fulltime or even halftime. Retired US Army with 100% service connected disability rating. Illinois has pretty good benefits for DAV with free license plate on one vehicle, retirement income not taxed and no property tax however new taxing increases, sanctuary state movement, etc. PLUS the winter weather is making me seriously think of relocation. Thinking warm would be better. Info desired from those who are living in the state they recommend. Info solicited include: State income Tax for Seniors; Driver License requirements (for DP); vehicle inspection requirement; vehicle annual registration/tags; Property tax rate; Sales Tax rate; winter weather; summer weather; and special considerations.

I realize recommendations will be subjective but really interested in your personal opinion from your personal experiences.

Thanks in advance - Richard
Avoid Colorado and California
My coach is a 2010 and licensing fees are 3600 year !
Ridiculous.
Colorado is becoming a suburb of California.
Try New Mexico or Arizona. Lots of great low-cost areas !
Warm weather and lots to do.
Dave Savage
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #41

Nevada. Military friendly state, no state income tax, good VA hospital in both Reno and Las Vegas depending on your preferred climate. Lots of military in the area. Good base PX at NAS Fallon near Reno and Nellis AFB near Las Vegas.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bankrate.com has a good 50 state comparison. They ranked South Dakota #1, Utah #2 and Idaho #3. I'm relocating to Idaho but plan on Arizona Dec-Mar. Good luck

Tags
cat