Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2021, 12:45 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 5
Rhino Lining Roof Coating

Does anyone have any experience (Good or Bad) on using Rhino Lining to cover your Class A roof? I have seen an advert in Yuma, Az that advertises using Rhino lining for roof coating.
Trouble Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jake21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,107
I do not. I did use Bus Kote to recover my roof myself. Pretty simple. Put three coats on. Very happy with the support and results.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Littleton, Co
Posts: 92
Blog Entries: 1
Roof coating

A friend had his M/H and trailer done years ago and was very happy. Not cheap but good guarantee. Make sure you check on that. Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Duster73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 208
I would have never thought of doing this. If you do, let me know how it goes. Now I'm curious.
__________________
"A Man's Gotta Do What a man's Gotta Do"
2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 30H- Workhorse
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Duster73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I do not. I did use Bus Kote to recover my roof myself. Pretty simple. Put three coats on. Very happy with the support and results.
How long ago did you apply this material. I will be redoing my roof next year and looking at threads like this to get ideas.
__________________
"A Man's Gotta Do What a man's Gotta Do"
2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 30H- Workhorse
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Free View Post
Does anyone have any experience (Good or Bad) on using Rhino Lining to cover your Class A roof? I have seen an advert in Yuma, Az that advertises using Rhino lining for roof coating.
Time out: What kind of roof do have and why are you doing it?

It helps us help you if you put what kind of rig you have and the year at the bottom of the post.

My vintage and previous vintage HR has a painted Aluminium roof. It does need to be painted.

MIL had a old shed with a tin roof with pin hole leaks in a state with the highest annual rain fall. Used this to stop the leaks: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-...rranty/1015511

Worked great at stopping leaks.

Used the left over an old TT with tin roof that showed signs of aging but was not leaking yet.

I have a 40+ year old sailboat. Used marine non-skid paint on deck because the fiberglass was developing small cracks. Beautiful.

I tested some left over on the MH roof but has been less than 6 months.

I have seen bedliner paint on old PU. I do not think it would be a good idea on a MH roof.

I have a theory about painting. Sometimes it is needed to protect wood.

If it detracts from drinking beer, ignore it.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jake21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
How long ago did you apply this material. I will be redoing my roof next year and looking at threads like this to get ideas.


Four months ago.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Time out: What kind of roof do have and why are you doing it?

It helps us help you if you put what kind of rig you have and the year at the bottom of the post.

My vintage and previous vintage HR has a painted Aluminium roof. It does need to be painted.

MIL had a old shed with a tin roof with pin hole leaks in a state with the highest annual rain fall. Used this to stop the leaks: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-...rranty/1015511

Worked great at stopping leaks.

Used the left over an old TT with tin roof that showed signs of aging but was not leaking yet.

I have a 40+ year old sailboat. Used marine non-skid paint on deck because the fiberglass was developing small cracks. Beautiful.

I tested some left over on the MH roof but has been less than 6 months.

I have seen bedliner paint on old PU. I do not think it would be a good idea on a MH roof.

I have a theory about painting. Sometimes it is needed to protect wood.

If it detracts from drinking beer, ignore it.
I have a 2006 Monaco La Palma diesel pusher which has a fiber glass roof. The main and only reason I am looking at doing this is to prevent any problems with leaks from the roof. I will either do the Rhino Lining or a rubber roof but one of those will happen in the next 12 months.
Trouble Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
carl.swoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Free View Post
Does anyone have any experience (Good or Bad) on using Rhino Lining to cover your Class A roof? I have seen an advert in Yuma, Az that advertises using Rhino lining for roof coating.
Try looking at RV FLEX ARMOR. It's a sprayed on application and extremely tough. My 2 ac's have never been so quiet.

https://rvroof.com

There corporate office is in Green Cove Springs Florida. It carries a lifetime warranty against the Vin so it's transferable. Click image for larger version

Name:	572730777.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	350360Click image for larger version

Name:	1607180681.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	350361
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Free View Post
I have a 2006 Monaco La Palma diesel pusher which has a fiber glass roof. The main and only reason I am looking at doing this is to prevent any problems with leaks from the roof. I will either do the Rhino Lining or a rubber roof but one of those will happen in the next 12 months.
Think about Eternabond tape. I have fiberglass roof, caps and side tops and I spent a week removing all the installed Dicor, filling all the gaps with silicone caulk (Boat life) and then using 4" tape to seal the 100' of joints to include around shower domes, refrig vents, Fantastic Fan vents, etc. This stuff is forever and so is your fiberglass roof.
If you can't do the work, hire it out to someone in the CG you're staying at.
__________________
Rick and Larrie Dee
1997 40' Newmar London Aire DP CTA 8.3 (Mechanical) 325 Spartan MM
Bringing her back to her glory.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 152
Just a side thought rhino lining is heavy. Will it mess with anything having the additional weight load on the roof?
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Think about Eternabond tape. I have fiberglass roof, caps and side tops and I spent a week removing all the installed Dicor, filling all the gaps with silicone caulk (Boat life) and then using 4" tape to seal the 100' of joints to include around shower domes, refrig vents, Fantastic Fan vents, etc. This stuff is forever and so is your fiberglass roof.
If you can't do the work, hire it out to someone in the CG you're staying at.

I am a huge proponent of Eternabond roof tape. I had it on the roof of my last RV for over 3 years and it showed zero signs of deterioration. I donít know how long itíll ultimately last, but I think 10+ years is a safe bet. At about $100 shipped for a 50íx6Ē roll it is very reasonably priced as well.

I will say, however, that I think this process could be very good for a roof that had damage and/or needed to be redone. For a brand new roof, Eternabond and a watchful eye is likely sufficient.
hippopapamus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
Just a side thought rhino lining is heavy. Will it mess with anything having the additional weight load on the roof?

I seriously doubt the weight makes any difference. If youíre worried though you can weigh a gallon of elastomeric paint (what many shops will use to fix a leaky roof) vs. a gallon of this product.

I rhino lined a vehicle years ago and had the same concern. The Tech pulled out a gallon of automotive paint for me to compare. Difference was negligible. Also provided instant and permanent rust protection (which for my application on an older 4x4 was a major plus).
hippopapamus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
153stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Braidwood Il.
Posts: 4,383
I had the old black glue and foil version over a few fire ax holes in my old TT alum. roof for like 20 plus years." Norcold fire front elect. panel after recall repair was done" Fireman was going to let smoke out of attic lol. Material was just showing signs of deterioration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippopapamus View Post
I am a huge proponent of Eternabond roof tape. I had it on the roof of my last RV for over 3 years and it showed zero signs of deterioration. I donít know how long itíll ultimately last, but I think 10+ years is a safe bet. At about $100 shipped for a 50íx6Ē roll it is very reasonably priced as well.

I will say, however, that I think this process could be very good for a roof that had damage and/or needed to be redone. For a brand new roof, Eternabond and a watchful eye is likely sufficient.
__________________
95 Monaco Crown Royale
M11 400hp, 4060 trans.
Aquahot, Generac Guardian7.5k
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roof



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally Rhino Lining For The Front Cap Czar Of Poop iRV2.com General Discussion 14 11-28-2018 09:20 PM
Rhino Lining Roof? Lincolnboy2 Gear and Product Discussions 25 09-28-2015 08:42 AM
Line-X or Rhino lining on MH roof? Baril91011 Just Conversation 9 09-04-2014 09:28 PM
Roofing product called Rhino Lining? Polk City Gear and Product Discussions 3 04-30-2014 07:30 AM
Rhino Lining Roof BichonLover Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 02-25-2012 06:32 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.