Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Ride comfort advice

Im looking at swapping my 2016 Thor ACE 29.2 for a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35f - with the hope of improving the bumpy ride - looking for any comments the ride handling of the 35F.
djc290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 04:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc290 View Post
Im looking at swapping my 2016 Thor ACE 29.2 for a 2012 Itasca Sunstar 35f - with the hope of improving the bumpy ride - looking for any comments the ride handling of the 35F.
Unless I am mistaken, they are both on a Ford Chassis. What has you thinking one might be better than the other?

There are a few things you might do to help with ride comfort. such as better shock absorbers, making sure your tires are properly inflated, not over inflated. Something I was able to do on my motorhome was to go up a tire size in the front (215/85/16 to 235/85/16) that allowed me to lower the front tire air pressure 10psi, that made a very noticeable improvement in ride quality.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 AM   #3

You’ll get some improved ride with the 22in tires vs 19.5. Check out the Ford owners section on this forum. Plenty of suggestions and experiences there. Swap the stock shocks for Bilstiens after market. Run with full water and full gas which will help soften the ride some. Run with the placard tire pressures at first. If ride not good enough get unit weighed and adjust pressures according to tire manufacturers chart.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #4

I'm a big fan of Bilstien shocks. Generally, they provide a firm, but not harsh ride. More like a European car (in touch with the road) rather than an American car (floaty and disconnected from the road). I guess that's kinda obvious since Bilstein is a German company, which would make them European. After that, lower tire pressure will help make any ride more soft, just don't go too low. Weigh it and see what pressure you should actually have. The sticker is probably a somewhat decent place to start, but you should be able to fine tune it from there.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

The first step to improve the ride is to get the RV weighed and move as much weight as you can forward without overloading the front axle. Also balance the load side to side. You can also change the tire inflation according to the published charts.
If the rig is porposing, or you are losing some control after going over bumps, it is time for new shocks. Bilstein's are a good choice.
If you are looking at an RV to purchase, a wheel base that is 55% of the overall length or longer is ideal. Long overhangs behind the rear wheels along with having more weight back there will contribute to sway.
Your Thor is on an 16,000# chassis, so you will probably gain more OCCC with the Sunstar's 22,000# chassis. The wheelbase/length is 54%. As someone else pointed out, you would have 22" wheels VS 19.5. That coupled with being a heavier coach may give you a better ride. A test drive may help you find out.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

It depends on what you are describing as a "bumpy ride"
Does the rig feel like it is slamming into bumps?

Or does it feel like it is bouncing up and down over bumps?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Not to do with ride, but check the CCC and if you are going to tow the GCVW. That unit is built with a 22000 lb chassis - the same as my 30A. The 35F has more storage capacity, but weighs more. Also check the slides carefully - these are early Schwintek setups. Especially look at the tracks at the outer ends for chipped teeth, and that the drive gears properly float to match irregularities with the slides.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The reason I ask is that a salesman is telling me that the 22000 lb chassis, 22” wheels and better designed weight distribution will be a much smoother ride. My Thor ACE feels every bump and shadow on the road. I have had it weighed and adjusted pressures, changed to koni shocks etc. just wondered if there is truth to buying from a better brand —- before I consider a diesel.
djc290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:08 PM   #9

Test drive!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It most likely will be better, but check the weight capacity stickers - They are to the left of the drivers seat, take pictures, go home and go over them without the salesman present - and you can always ask questions about them here.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice