Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Lightbulb Right into the fire :What should i definitely have?

we have sold almost everything and going full time without the "trial period"-we purchased an 08 Bounder, had it modified because my husband is paralyzed, and we are leaving Vermont heading to Alaska in June 2018. Gods good humor from there.
What will we absolutely need? my husband is a minimalist, I want all possibilities covered. Give it to me fellow Rv'rs- what should be on THE LIST??
Chrisspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I would camp next to a walmart and a camping world as much as possible between now and when you leave to Alaska.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #3

is that your final answer, lol? i wasn't completely truthful. i had a pop-up, and a travel trailer. cross-country twice , but still consider myself green. i just don't want to miss that "one item"
Chrisspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisspencer View Post
we have sold almost everything and going full time without the "trial period"-we purchased an 08 Bounder, had it modified because my husband is paralyzed, and we are leaving Vermont heading to Alaska in June 2018. Gods good humor from there.
What will we absolutely need? my husband is a minimalist, I want all possibilities covered. Give it to me fellow Rv'rs- what should be on THE LIST??
Have the mechanicals checked over thoroughly (and tires) and make sure you have all the manuals (how everything operates). Have tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) installed if you don't have one now. Then get a road-side service/towing coverage agreement (like Coach Net or Good Sams) in case you breakdown or get a flat.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Chris I would use the RV as much as possible before you head to Alaska so you ll have acquired just about everything. Make sure you have basic tools, fuses, spare electrical and plumbing parts. Carry spare filters, fluids, belts and hoses. Even if you can’t replace or repair, roadside assistance can if they have the right parts. I ve had to wait 5 hours for the Mobile tech to run back into town and get the right part. The more you know how to do the better. This forum is a great help. Lots of great info. Good luck

Mark
Old 03-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progressive Industries EMS
Instant Pot
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #7

You won't miss that one item. There are stores everywhere literally You can make a list of a few things you might want and just stop and get them on any of your stops during your adventure.

My most important items would be things like insurances in place, checking the vehicle and tires and all that, roadside assistance if wanted, good mobile phone available, that kind of thing. Any products you want you can get your hands on very fast out there.

Very cool you guys are going for it! Best of luck on your trip! Sounds like a huge fun crazy adventure!!
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #8

What are the age & condition of battys. Might be worth a new set if uncertain.
Rough roads can bring out the worst in an older batty.

Enjoy the adventures.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #9

Do you have solar panels? If RV parks are full where you are going, you will want to make your own power.

Are you towing a secondary mode of transportation? Have you been practicing driving it, parking, backing etc in a BIG parking lot?

You didn't give us much info, so you are gonna get a deluge of Q's...lol.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #10

Making sure you have good tires would be the first thing on my list. TPMS system would be nice as well. A fresh service (oil change, grease, lube and check over). Good batteries would be another thing.
Like mentioned basic tools and spare parts. Make sure you know how things work especially dumping the tanks.
If you do run into problems this site could be your most valuable tool. Someone on here has surely had the same problem at one time or another and we are spread out across North America. If you have issues going through Alberta look me up on here and I can at least point you in the right direction for help and I'm sure there are many others in different areas that would do the same for you.

Lastly have fun and enjoy your travels.
Craig1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #11

Make sure you research access to medical on your route and destination. Also medication refills.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Get a copy of "Mile post"
Great resource for everything you might want, need or like to see along the way while in AK.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #13

As stated, have the entire coach gone over by a good rv tech and mechanic. Being in the middle of nowhere and needing repairs is costly and time consuming. Something simple could take considerable time if it needs to be accessed from far away. A spare serpentine belt is always a good idea, as is a spare tire. We are on a tour with two coaches right now. One is an 07 and one is and 05. Both have had to replace an alternator on our trip so far. We have had the exhaust pipe repaired, one tire replaced. We have travelled 5000 miles in five weeks, but things tend to go when you are travelling far. Both coaches were gone over before the trip. A credit card with a healthy limit on it is your best friend when trouble arises, which it often does. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A credit card and an Amazon account.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire