Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Jim

i have roadside assistance under my state farm rv policy..i have to find the service provider and pay, then get reimbursed by state farm..on saturday afternoon i had a blowout on i-10 and was fortunate to find someone to install the spare..this got me wondering if i should join a club who will locate a provider or stay on my own..my premium with state farm is $11 yr..would appreciate any experiences and advice..thanks..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Jim

i have roadside assistance under my state farm rv policy..i have to find the service provider and pay, then get reimbursed by state farm..on saturday afternoon i had a blowout on i-10 and was fortunate to find someone to install the spare..this got me wondering if i should join a club who will locate a provider or stay on my own..my premium with state farm is $11 yr..would appreciate any experiences and advice..thanks..jim
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I use Coach-Net. It applies to all my vehicles as well as the RV. The thing I lke about it is that it covers my 5er even when it is not hooked up to the truck and in the case of a breakdown, it not only tows my truck but also the RV. It is considerably more, but worth it in my mind.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
paz

Jim, I think a lot has to do with personal preference, what your current roadside assistance covers, and where you travel. We are full-timers and we are almost always in an unfamiliar location where I would have no idea where to begin to look for service if I needed it.

We have Coach-Net Gold, which is basic roadside and technical assistance and which I think costs $99 a year. I would rather spend the extra money and have them do all the leg work of finding assistance for me. If I am already stressed out about a blow-out or breakdown, I don't need to increase my stress by having difficulty finding service. But that's just me.

Last week we used our roadside assistance for the first time. Unknown to us we had picked up a bolt in an outside dual, apparently just before we arrived at the campground. In the morning, the tire was flat. Coach-Net not only sent a service truck, but they also located a new tire in case the punctured tire was not repairable. Fortunately, the tire was able to be fixed and we were on our way with only a slight delay and with no work on my part other than to make the first call.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
i have roadside assistance under my state farm rv policy..i have to find the service provider and pay, then get reimbursed by state farm..on saturday afternoon i had a blowout on i-10 and was fortunate to find someone to install the spare..this got me wondering if i should join a club who will locate a provider or stay on my own..my premium with state farm is $11 yr..would appreciate any experiences and advice..thanks..jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also do this with GMAC and Eire Insurance. Years ago I got my motorhome stuck in sugar sand along a highway near Wilmington, NC. I called the NC state highway patrol and asked them who they used for large wrecker service in the Wilmington area. I then called who they recommended.

Works well and has saved me quite a bit of $$s in my 46 years of driving.

Although, for those that need hand holding I recommend Coach-Net.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #6

I too have Coach-Net and have been very pleased with the service provided on the two times we had to use it. The cost is clearly higher than your current coverage, but I appreciate the "sign and drive" feature. If I have to have a tow I don't have to empty my wallet and wait for the insurance company to issue a check. They also deal exclusively with Motorhomes and RV's and prequalify the service providers they call.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #7

Here's another vote for Coach-Net. I have used them for years and have had to call them several times. They have always taken excellent care of us.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coach-Net has been great. I have used them just one time for service. Out at the unit in 45 min.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Jim

thanks for the replies..previously the only time i ever needed help was when i had an accident and the police called a tow service..since i was able to drive on one rear tire, this time i drove to the walmart at the next exit..sounds like if i stay on the highway the police will help, but if i drive to a safe place, i am on my own..jim
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Good Sam emergency roadside service for about 15 years now and have had excellent service from them.
We have used the service probably 7-8 times over those years and everything has always gone very well with the service providers they have sent out.
Just another opinion for you to consider.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
...previously the only time i ever needed help was when i had an accident and the police called a tow service... since i was able to drive on one rear tire, this time i drove to the walmart at the next exit... sounds like if i stay on the highway the police will help, but if i drive to a safe place, i am on my own... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We, too, are happy Good Sam members. Our last "need" was due to a trailer tire blowout this summer on MO hwy 65 in Springfield. After I pulled the vehicle safely to the side of the highway I called GS. They had someone there within 30 minutes of my call, with a call-back to assure me the service company was on its way. While we waited, a MO Highway Patrolman stopped to see if he could assist. We told him help was on the way, but he assured us he could call for help if we needed it.

I guess the question is, do you want to select your service company or do you want the police officer to select... and what price are you willing to pay?

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
We've had Good Sam ERS for many years and have utilized it for the first time this year.

In July, we had a tread separation and blowout on the 5th wheel on I-45 between Houston and Dallas. After waiting for 1-1/2 hours on the side of the road, the Good Sam representative called to tell us that she couldn't find anyone to change the tire, so we along with another Texas Boomer who came along changed it ourselves.

In October, we had another tread separation and blowout (different location) on the 5th wheel about 30 miles east of San Antonio on I-10 and called Good Sam. While we were waiting, another Texas Boomer couple came along, and we had the tire changed within 30 minutes. This time, though, Good Sam had found someone they were ready to dispatch from San Antonio to change the tire, but we called them off.

So, we're batting 0.500 with Good Sam right now.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
CD

We also have GSERS. We have had it over 10yrs. and used it several times. One time we broke down about 40 miles west of Winnimuca, Nv. About 2hrs. after our call a tow truck was there, loaded the PU on their truck and hooked TT behind. They set us up in a GS RV park about 4 blocks from the shop they took the PU to. Our other experiences were similar. One other time our car died at home and they had it towed about 4 miles to our mechanic. We have been real pleased.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Jim

rustyjc..i didn't know they can just tell you they can't help..don't they accept this responsibility when they take your dues or is there a disclaimer in the contract..jim