Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #1

Roadside assistance

Yesterday while hauling my 5th the truck engine stopped and I coasted to the side of the road, flashers on. The battery light was on but the engine would not turn over.
I'm a life member and have had roadside with them for 14 years.
I told them the battery light was on and would not start.
Then comes the questions, do you need a tow,battery or or.
I thought it was a battery problem but I'm not an auto mechanic.
so the small tow truck comes and checks the battery,it's ok but you got some other big problem. I call Good Sam again and say I need a tow.
Ha too late you blew it when you asked for battery problems. No coverage.
Only $300 for the tow.
WARNING always ask for a tow, then the driver can tell you it was only the battery. It might be a good idea to have two roadside plans.
Vancouver Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Good advice!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club

The Roadside assistance programs provide tire, battery, 1 hr mechanic OR Towing.
My auto insurance thru USAA also covers those roadside services including towing except you make the arrangements and pay for the service and submit a claim to USAA. It costs $6 /six months. I keep that just in case I encounter one of the exclusions you discovered..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #4

I distinctly remember one occasion when we pulled into a rest stop and could not get all the way up the entrance ramp. A call to GS got us a mechanic who changed the fuel filter, then determined it was the fuel pump. A second call to GS got us a tow to the mechanic's location. No charge to us.

On another occasion we got a tow home, then a couple dasy later we got a tow to an RV center for the work. Both tows through GS at no cost to us. And the second tow, they had to winch the MH out of my sloping drive. I don't understand why GS would not pay for the mechanic and a tow for the OP.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

If an engine just quits while driving down the road it pretty obviously isn't a problem with just the battery, but anyway... Good Sam ERS covers a jump start for a dead battery, just like every other ERS. Some info is missing here.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
At this time, simply due to a recent purchase of a new RV, I have Good Sam's, Coach-Net and RV towing on my insurance. I usually only have my insurance towing service and Coach-Net. Regardless, these are exactly why I have both towing services. It is nice to have the backup, just in case.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Is View Post
Yesterday while hauling my 5th the truck engine stopped and I coasted to the side of the road, flashers on. The battery light was on but the engine would not turn over.
I'm a life member and have had roadside with them for 14 years.
I told them the battery light was on and would not start.
Then comes the questions, do you need a tow,battery or or.
I thought it was a battery problem but I'm not an auto mechanic.
so the small tow truck comes and checks the battery,it's ok but you got some other big problem. I call Good Sam again and say I need a tow.
Ha too late you blew it when you asked for battery problems. No coverage.
Only $300 for the tow.
WARNING always ask for a tow, then the driver can tell you it was only the battery. It might be a good idea to have two roadside plans.
That's strange....Last summer I called GS for a jump for my MH in storage. They came out and couldn't start it. I replaced the battery and it still wouldn't start so I called GS back same day and they came back out and towed it to the dealer for me. It turned out to be the starter. GS didn't charge me anything except the extra mileage as I wanted it towed to the dealer and not the closest shop.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

No problems with GS . My MH works great and never had to call for it but I did get towed 4 times with our junky Kia sportage. I also had an accident with my motorcycle and it was towed and impounded by the police due to me being transported to the hospital. I called GS about the tow charge of $350 and got reimbursed the full tow charge. Can't beat that. My only complaint is all the advertisements I get in the mail from them.