Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #15
KC

The company I work for is set up for both trailers, fifth wheel or even the largest class A. We do them all for coach net.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

I called Coach Net and found out the insuring company is AMT. AMT insures furniture, even a rocking chair, cars, boats, etc.
A lot of negative internet info on AMT.
But like all insurance companies you will get people and circumstances that don't work out.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #17

Is there really any advantage to having coach net or good sam roadside assistance when I have an emergency road service rider on both my truck policy with State Farm and my Travel Trailer policy with National General (Good Sam)? I had let my GS expire while I wasn't using the trailer, and getting t ready to roll again had a tire blowout on I95. National General sent someone to change the tire with no charges to me so far, just the very painful conversation with the person answering the phone who acted ie she didn't do very many calls and was following some kind of how to instruction. The conversation with her was very frustrating but the guy who changed the tire was very nice and didn't take as long to get there as I had been told.
rllwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #18

Be aware of the fact that GS will do everything within their power to NOT send out a tow truck. Their required first step is to send out a mobile mechanic. I found this out first hand. You notice I said "send out". They only pay for the FIRST trip out to you. Any parts runs, the time on location doing the repair, AND THEIR TRIP BACK TO THEIR SHOP is all on YOU! I waited 3 days in Death Valley for a mechanic on my first call to them because the breakdown was over a holiday weekend and we weren't in what they termed a hazardous location. Did you know that it's pretty hard to move a 37' class A with air brakes if you don't have air pressure? Trust me, it is. The only good thing was that I had plenty of time to diagnose and eliminate possible conditions, so by the time they were ready to send a mechanic I knew what to tell them to bring for parts. Then their first choice of mechanics refused to come out because they weren't going to be able to charge me for multiple parts runs to Las Vegas 140 mile away one direction. LOL. Mechanic #2 came out and bypassed the air drier using parts I already had, but supplying the tools I didn't have with me. Sometimes it pays to have been a mechanic in a past life. I keep the membership (for now) because there is a Camping World a mile or so away and I can get some discounts on supplies that offsets the cost.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Lifetime Good Sam member, but after 2 experiences with their roadside service last year, dropped their roadside assistance.
coastdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #20

My roadside insurance is a rider on my Progressive policy. It was only an additional $24 for a year. I've needed them twice in 5yrs., and they took care of everything for me. One time when we needed a tow while in the Yukon, it was no problem for them. I would hate to see what they paid for that one, since it was a 360 mile round trip from Whitehorse for the truck & trailer.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I pay my National General Insurance $2.00 twice a year ($4.00) for roadside assistance for my motor home and my other vehicles. Use them all the time (unfortunately). Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ive had Coach net and Good Sams both do a great job for me. I have Good Sams now I had three tows last year between my autos and rv. They done a great job. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had CoachNet for 3 years. Excellent on all counts. I also subscribed to GS Roadside last year as a backup. When my compressed air system failed in Montana 40 miles from repair, GS refused to tow, insisted on troubleshooting and repair onsite. I politely thanked them for their non-interest, called CoachNet, and had a tow truck onsite within 90 minutes. I did not renew my GS.

Whichever company you select (other than GS), get their best package. It will only cost you a few bucks more, and it will cut out the petty scorekeeping.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #24

Good Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
On a trip out west in 2012 we broke down out on a desert highway about 30 miles from the nearest town! We called Good Sam and waited, and waited, and waited.... called them several times over a 6 hour period. They said they couldn't find a Cummins shop. Finally told them to forget it and got the necessary help ourselves. BTW, we later found there was a Cummins shop in the town 30 miles from us. They told us that GS never called them!

I do have to say that we have had other good experiences with GS, but that one left a really bad taste in my mouth!
Good Sam is a rip off . . . . . have tried to use them twice and once they told me they didn't do tows and them my daughter needed tow service, but since the car received damage after hitting something in the road, they refused to tow her . . . .since there might be some clean up required..... Terrible service.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #25

Stay away from Good Sam . .. . Nice Parks but road service and insurance coverage is terrible.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
Be aware of the fact that GS will do everything within their power to NOT send out a tow truck. Their required first step is to send out a mobile mechanic. I found this out first hand. You notice I said "send out". They only pay for the FIRST trip out to you. Any parts runs, the time on location doing the repair, AND THEIR TRIP BACK TO THEIR SHOP is all on YOU! I waited 3 days in Death Valley for a mechanic on my first call to them because the breakdown was over a holiday weekend and we weren't in what they termed a hazardous location. Did you know that it's pretty hard to move a 37' class A with air brakes if you don't have air pressure? Trust me, it is. The only good thing was that I had plenty of time to diagnose and eliminate possible conditions, so by the time they were ready to send a mechanic I knew what to tell them to bring for parts. Then their first choice of mechanics refused to come out because they weren't going to be able to charge me for multiple parts runs to Las Vegas 140 mile away one direction. LOL. Mechanic #2 came out and bypassed the air drier using parts I already had, but supplying the tools I didn't have with me. Sometimes it pays to have been a mechanic in a past life. I keep the membership (for now) because there is a Camping World a mile or so away and I can get some discounts on supplies that offsets the cost.

Three different times I had depended on Good Sam and three times they screwed me over . . . . They gladly take your money but seem to have a hard time comprehending of what the service is suppose to be. Pray you never have to deal with Calvin P. Craig with Good Sam . . . .he will tell you that his primary concern is not to handle you claim but to watch out for the Good Sam bottom line.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #27

I did the same . . . .
Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have roadside assistance & towing through my insurance company (American National).

Had the chassis battery give out at an interstate rest stop last month, the aux. start wouldn't budge it, neither would the portable jump start unit (maybe an internal short?). Called the roadside assistance number. The representative had a little trouble figuring out my exact location but after that was determined they sent a mobile mechanic in a reasonable amount of time. No charges to me except the battery cost (& I paid him to install because I was hot & tired...). They called me back later to make sure help had arrived & everything was fixed.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote