Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Been using CoachNet for 8 years and I wouldn't have any other plan. These people know what they're doing and I love that their CS techs can walk you through some things first.
Do you get CG discounts, etc like Good Sam apparently does?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
Just for the sake of knowing, is carrying a heavy duty jack and changing a front or outer rear tire basically not an option on an RV? I'm a 49 YO female and will be travelling with my two sons and am wondering if it would be an option with or without their assistance?

It's not always a flat tire. Things happen and towing may be required. I considered changing my 22.5s and saw the 450 ft-lb torque requirement and knew I wasn't going to be able to remove any lug nuts.

Get the roadside assistance and again I recommend Good Sam.

Sudsy
Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
That's just not true. I have been with Good Sam Roadside since 2002 when AAA just left my sister on a dark road in Delaware all night. When I started with them they were $99.95 a year. I think last year we paid $129.95. That's about a $2 a year increase.
Better check your mail again. They have discontinued the standard plan and now the only option is the platinum with the additional services and cost I do not want. I have no problems with the basic roadside emergency service they have provided to me, multiple times, just that the increased cost is no longer at a level I find to be beneficial when I have other options and service providers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_064555.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	189685  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Better check your mail again. They have discontinued the standard plan and now the only option is the platinum with the additional services and cost I do not want. I have no problems with the basic roadside emergency service they have provided to me, multiple times, just that the increased cost is no longer at a level I find to be beneficial when I have other options and service providers.
They are still advertising the RV Standard Assistance one.

I will switch to it at renewal time. I have the Platinum one now. Last year the renewal was $139.95 for it.
Switching to the RV Standard will cost me $129.95 this year.

I can't afford the Coach Net new membership of $249
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Comparison chart

https://www.fmca.com/roadside-assistance.html

FMCA annual membership dues are $50 after first year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #20

Good luck with coachnet! Had to use them once and it was a nightmare! The knew I had a 38' diesel pusher on the conversations I had with them, yet they dispatched a tow truck that would have trouble moving a Yugo. They finally admitted that was the ONLY tow truck available. I was blocking a major intersection in Bullhead City for over 3 hours, finally, the state patrol managed to get a correctly sized tow truck on site which I had to pay cash for and coachnet never reimbursed me for.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Roadside assistance

Coach net is 249 the first year .. it drops back down after to comparable numbers. I switched to them this year As in all things compare apples to apples the coverages vary , like lower cost ones not covering towed cars trailers or other vehicles or family members Some require membership fees in addition etc.
like all service plans most customers will pay out more than they receive in service. You can certainly self “insure” but you risk a large tow bill , for a MH this could be north of a thousand easily. Roadside provides peace of mind averaging the cost out making the service amd the legwork to find a tow/ service in a strange area a little easier

Keep in mind they are all selling access to one of only a few roadside service companies that exist. ( for example Allstate runs one) that they rebrand under “their” name. When I called GS a couple years ago they answered the phone “Allstate roadside” before they realized they had picked up the GS phone line and corrected herself to “Good Sam roadside” one can assume Allstate provides or did provide GS service.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Good luck with coachnet! Had to use them once and it was a nightmare! The knew I had a 38' diesel pusher on the conversations I had with them, yet they dispatched a tow truck that would have trouble moving a Yugo. They finally admitted that was the ONLY tow truck available. I was blocking a major intersection in Bullhead City for over 3 hours, finally, the state patrol managed to get a correctly sized tow truck on site which I had to pay cash for and coachnet never reimbursed me for.

First such complaint I have seen for CN. I can understand them sending a lighter truck, provided that they had the right one also assigned to the task as have been through that several times when driving a wrecker. One was really funny when I backed a F350 up to the back of a 40 ft DP to stabilize it to pull axles and cage brakes. He actually thought that I was going to pull the coach from the rear. He understood when Denny showed up with the real truck and was hooked up in 15 minutes since I had done all of the prep work. I even ended up with a tip since according to the owner that I did all the "real work".
Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #23

Quote:
and saw the 450 ft-lb torque requirement and knew I wasn't going to be able to remove any lug nuts.

Sudsy
Oh! Holy wow!! Nowhere near like a vehicle tire then.
Alrighty then!! Thanks for the knowledge.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #24

Clarification on Good Sam

OK, I just called Good Sam. I am a Platinum Member and have been for a while. the rates went up $10 to $149. I paid $139 last year. So it didn't double. Times are changing and I don't think a $10 increase is reason to change anything. I recover a lot of this when I get my 10% discounts at GS parks also.

Sudsy
Old 01-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #25

FYI. If you have 19.5 tires, the torque is only 150 ft. lbs.
I am planning on a spare and what is needed to change it.
Sorry about the crummy pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lugtorque (2268 x 3024).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	189717  
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OK, I just called Good Sam. I am a Platinum Member and have been for a while. the rates went up $10 to $149. I paid $139 last year. So it didn't double. Times are changing and I don't think a $10 increase is reason to change anything. I recover a lot of this when I get my 10% discounts at GS parks also.

Sudsy
I'm glad you are satisfied with the products and services Good Sam provides but for half the cost I can get the same coverage thru my insurance provider.

Also concerning the camp ground discounts, those are not part of the roadside service subscription. That benefit is with the Good Sam Club which cost $27 a year.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougjpr View Post
Whose roadside assistance plan do you have?

I have Good Sam, it’s up for renewal and I am thinking about FMCA. Good Sam has about run its course with me. By the way, did you hear that some insurance companies keep track of road service calls when they offer it as part of the insurance plan. I don’t know if this has got to a data base yet to allow them to consider raising rates based on road calls.
dieselrv08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #28

I’ve been using AAA for years. I only needed them once to unlock my door on my first class B+. (Left my keys inside - long story) I’ve used them many times with my cars, even a boat trailer with the boat on it. I’ve always had good service and the price I think is fair. My favorite “Yankee” saying regarding price is: “You don’t always get what you pay for... but... if you don’t pay for it, you sure as hell ain’t gonna get it!” Good luck all :-)

Plus many discounts and services. But, what I use the most is their App/website. It has an excellent mapping function that I use all the time. It’s great!
DMiner is offline   Reply With Quote