Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance - Dual Towing Coverage

About to purchase our first TT. We've rented and borrowed over the years so we aren't completely new to it.

My question is about road side assistance programs. I've seen it mentioned several places it's a good idea to have "dual towing coverage" so that if your tow vehicle needs to be towed, you can have your TT towed to and not leave it on the side of the road. A few people have mentioned when the tow rig broke down, they got it towed to a repair shop and their TT towed to a RV Camp Ground where they stayed until their tow rig was fixed.

Now for the question. Looking at the roadside assistance programs, they all seem to say the same thing for the tow rig and TT, "Towing is covered to only the nearest repair facility". This would imply that if the tow rig breaks down, the TT is not eligible to be towed (since its not broke) and its not eligible to be towed to a nearby by RV camp ground, which would mean the TT would be left beside the road. What Roadside Assistance programs provide the described "dual towing" coverage?

I've looked at Progressive (my current insurance), Good Sam, Coach-net, and FMCA, they all seem to have the same restrictive verbiage in the towing coverage.

Thanks!
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2020, 06:44 AM   #2

Talk with your agent about coverages. There could be special riders you could get, or language that may be used to get you towed to where you need to be. As they say the devil is in the details.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Talk with your agent about coverages. There could be special riders you could get, or language that may be used to get you towed to where you need to be. As they say the devil is in the details.

Thanks and you are correct.

I guess the better question to ask, does anyone know which road side Assistance programs provide this coverage so I can narrow down whom to call... I really hate being on the phone all day... call it irrational... I will if needed. There are much more exciting things I can do with my life .
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Good Sam Roadside Assist will cover towing of both vehicles. See their FAQ at:

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/faq/index.cfm#q10
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The Good Sam Roadside Assist will cover towing of both vehicles. See their FAQ at:

Provided they can get someone to tow you at all. Seems to be quite a few people that had to find their own towing company when "covered" by GS.
I used to have Coach Net till the last tow I needed. The towing company did about $4,500 damage and neither they now CN will take any responsibility. Now I have FMCA.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good help is hard to find. And all the roadside insurers are doing business with the same local road services, so changing dispatcher companies doesn't help much. GS may be a little worse because they are trying to be the lowest priced service and probably skimp on what they pay to the road service, but it's kind of hit or miss, depending on where you need help and time of day.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

I agree, there are many positive reports of that here on irv2.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #8

At one time we had a truck and trailer and had a rider on our truck insurance for the trailer. We broke down in Death Valley (long story) and the tow company came from Lone Pine, CA with two trucks - one for our truck and a flatbed for the RV. They placed the RV in a campground and the truck went to the towing co./repair place. They lent us a car - free. Awesome service!! We've never used a separate roadside company - just our regular insurance company. Had the same kind of experience traveling across Canada.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, tow, towing