Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Rodents, MH vs TT

I've been reading a lot of posts on rodent damage. I've had travel trailers for a number of years and as of yet haven't had a problem. Nearly all the rodent issues are from MH owners. I'm looking to upgrade to a class A and am wondering if motor homes are more susceptible to rodents than trailers?

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #2

BBQ Warren-

I discussed this with our son and daughter-in-law today. Their TT has yearly infestations. Our coaches (Class C and A) haven't. So, anecdotal evidence says it may not be a function of RV type.

Everywhere, making it difficult for rodents to get in is probably the biggest help. Mostly, that means blocking up every hole in the undercarriage and walls.

Here in the Northeast it seems as if there's about a six week period in the Fall when the critters are looking to set up house in protected (warmer) areas for the Winter. If you can get past that period without your RV becoming their nesting spot you're usually OK. I think it also helps to keep your RV out in the open, if outside. The little buggers don't like to get caught in the open, lest they fall prey to the hawks, foxes, and other rodent-consumers.

We've stored our coaches indoors for the Winter. To date I've not asked the storage facility what they do (if anything) to keep rodents at bay.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

We've had miucw in both our 5th wheel and MH. But usually in spring and fall we are volunteering at a NWR so were are in a rural setting and more susceptible.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Infestation is probably more regional and how and where the RV is stored....I had a problem for years with my TT...Tried all kinds of methods to keep them out. Only thing that worked for me was poison.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

We had mice and rat troubles in our previous TT but not in our RV. Our old TT was parked along the fence line up against a forested area. We moved to the middle of the paved lot and had zero issues so far. I think it does have something to do with their exposure crossing an open area.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
After several rodent free years we had an infestation the last year we owned the fiver. Coincidentally it was the first year we put a full cover on it. My (unscientific) opinion is that the cover touched the ground and the mice climbed the cover and entered thru the vents. They appeared to have congregated in the kitchen cupboards and under the bed.

When we covered the motorhome I made sure to put steel wool and dryer sheets in every vent, put irish spring soap and dryer sheets in cupboards, drawers and throughout the unit. I also made sure that the cover was tight against the unit, it did not touch the ground and neither did any of the tie downs.

I held my breath as I opened up the motorhome a couple of weeks ago.....SUCCESS!!! The MH is parked exactly where the fiver was parked, things have not changed, so I really think it was that there wasn't an easy path into the unit with the cover tied up, combined with the steel wool and 'smellies'.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
After several rodent free years we had an infestation the last year we owned the fiver. Coincidentally it was the first year we put a full cover on it. My (unscientific) opinion is that the cover touched the ground and the mice climbed the cover and entered thru the vents. They appeared to have congregated in the kitchen cupboards and under the bed.

When we covered the motorhome I made sure to put steel wool and dryer sheets in every vent, put irish spring soap and dryer sheets in cupboards, drawers and throughout the unit. I also made sure that the cover was tight against the unit, it did not touch the ground and neither did any of the tie downs.

I held my breath as I opened up the motorhome a couple of weeks ago.....SUCCESS!!! The MH is parked exactly where the fiver was parked, things have not changed, so I really think it was that there wasn't an easy path into the unit with the cover tied up, combined with the steel wool and 'smellies'.
I think you are correct about the cover, that defiantly how the squirrels got to the roof and fridge vent on my TT. Now I wait till late fall to cover and early spring to uncover. Fall and spring seem to be the time of year the rodents are looking for homes.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

Rodents get in depending where you're parked not the kind of RV you have.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post

I have not had any rodents in 5 years on my TT. Before we cover it in late fall, I use blue painters tape on every opening and storage doors. Never thought about any vents on the roof. Will tape everything up there next time.

2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
Old 05-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #10

Consider that MH's have a tender under belly, areas not easily sealed off - the area around the engine, the generator, and in front of the firewall, that are all susceptible to rodent damage.

After years of uneventful storage, we uncovered ours this spring to find every inch of the hard plastic vacuum line (used to control cab heating and cooling) from the firewall forward all missing/assumed eaten by something. Wires all 100% OK (thank God!). I'm grateful for the fact I can install new on my own. I'd hate to have to pay somebody what it would take to figure all that out and re-plumb.

Next season we'll be placing some rat treats (poison) around these areas. Hadn't even considered the potential prior to this! -Al
Old 05-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Consider that MH's have a tender under belly, areas not easily sealed off - the area around the engine, the generator, and in front of the firewall, that are all susceptible to rodent damage.

After years of uneventful storage, we uncovered ours this spring to find every inch of the hard plastic vacuum line (used to control cab heating and cooling) from the firewall forward all missing/assumed eaten by something. Wires all 100% OK (thank God!). I'm grateful for the fact I can install new on my own. I'd hate to have to pay somebody what it would take to figure all that out and re-plumb.

Next season we'll be placing some rat treats (poison) around these areas. Hadn't even considered the potential prior to this! -Al

That is what I was thinking. Then engine compartment could be a good entry point.

2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy