Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #1
WDW

Rolling ladder w/ steps

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	325923

I知 interested in purchasing a unit like this for inside our new storage building for working on the coach. Anyone have one? How many steps / how high? We don稚 have a roof ladder and I知 not an extension ladder kind of guy.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 05:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Note that the 'cage' at the top of that ladder will actually prevent you from stepping off the ladder on to the roof of the RV, if that's your intention.
As for how high, that depends on what you plan to do, how tall you are and how tall your RV is.
If you're 6' tall and your RV is 11' to the roof then a ladder with a platform 6' off the ground will get you a look at the roof. If you want a GOOD look at the roof then you'll need an 8' ladder. If you want to step off the ladder on to the RV then you need the platform to be within a few inches of the height of the roof so that you can safely and easily transfer from one to the other.
The number of steps is a function of the platform height, so in my opinion irrelevant. What you really need to figure out is how high you want/need the platform to be, the mfg will supply you with enough steps to get there.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
WDW

Yes, just looking to have the ability to be equal to the top of the roof for cleaning and the sides.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #4

Have purchased those from warehouse suppliers all of the time in past lives. Check Graingers.

https://www.grainger.com/search/mate...&tv_optin=true

Another option:
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/p...-14-d-top-step
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to home depot and steal one!

These platform ladders are way expensive in my opinion.

I've thought about some sort of scaffolding to do this work. For now I use a 12ft extension ladder and lean it against the side of the slideout or the roof.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

We bought ours at ULine. The platform is 10' high with 12 steps. It makes rv maintenance much safer in my opinion. It does take maneuvering room and a smooth floor to move around. I can duck under the cage at the top to access the roof much safer than I can make the transition from a ladder.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #7

Rolling ladder w/ steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
....I知 interested in purchasing a unit like this for inside our new storage building for working on the coach. Anyone have one? .......

My TT is about 10' high. I have a couple of Metal tech scaffolds that I quite like. I bought from HD. I have a barn with gravel floor and I may buy the larger wheels designed to handle it. Works well enough and can be disassembled and adjusted as needed. Also possible to buy a fence or gate around the top, which I may buy. I use mine at the highest setting, which is about 8' or so, I will go and measure and get back to you if it is different. I bolted in a board across the bottom which makes it much, much more secure and less wobbly. I use a 8' step ladder to step onto the scaffold. However, your idea has great merit. I may even buy one, 120" high. I just checked the cost: Holy Frijoles Batman! $1,000 or more. Probably won't buy, but sure is a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scaffolding.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	325941  
Old 04-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Someone else mentioned using one of these and that they found it on Craigslist so it peaked my interest. Actually looked on Facebook Market Place and there were quite a few listed for a reasonable price.

I actually have a rolling scaffold that I may try.

I also just finished an inside workshop in my garage and I believe I can use a ramp to access my roof off of the top deck portion that I built for storage. Will come in handy if I'm working on the roof.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #9

I just checked the scaffolding and it is 6' high at the topmost level. So it does not get you to where you want to be. I checked on Amazon, it does have an extension and also outriggers to stabilize. The cost of all this is about what your rolling ladder would cost. The scaffolding can be disassembled fairly easily, although I keep mine permanently erected. With the board(s) bolted across the bottom it is very secure. I also doubled checked the height of my Big Foot 25B25RQ: 9'2". The TT has a very securely attached ladder which I also use to climb on the roof. Now that I am looking at this I may get the extension.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:14 AM   #10

Regarding the Metaltech scaffolding: Please let me be very clear about this. If you use the scaffolding at the upper limits of the unit you should secure a board or plank across the bottom. The GREATLY improves stability. Be safe.

As I researched this thread I came across a couple of items which others may find useful. There are stabilizers that fit into the vertical corners of the scaffolds, on Amazon: Metaltech LEVELING JACK WITH PLATE 24″
Model: M-MBSJP24. Please note: The Metaltech website notes this model as having a solid shaft, but on Amazon it shows a hollow shaft. You may want to see and buy these at Home Depot or Lowe's so you can be certain which you get and to make certain they fit. I much prefer solid shaft for safety reasons. Caster wheels can then be bolted to the leveling jacks.

Large 10" diameter Caster wheels with locks can be purchased on line at: https://www.casterhq.com/10InchPneum...p/cb-spc10.htm

Ten inch caster wheels may work best because I have gravel in my TT storage shed.

Outriggers on Amazon: Metaltech CISO4 Outrigger Set for Maxi Square Baker Scaffold,

Together, these may raise the scaffold enough to get on my TT roof from the side. If not, I may buy the scaffold extension. The cost of all this will approach $1800 or more. But it all does break down if needed to be transported.

One other minor issue is how to climb up the scaffold to get to the platform. I use a step or extension ladder rather than try to climb up the scaffold itself, which I have done; however, this seems to be unsafe for someone my age, hence the need for a ladder.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #11

The rolling ladders shown are for warehouse pickers and store pickers to pick small items from overhead storage. Probably work for the needs of the RVer, but in my opinion, a good scaffolding setup would also work well for this and would have many more applications around the typical home.

My home builder put a smoke detector on the vaulted ceiling of our living room. It is about 3-4 foot away from the wall, so with an extension ladder, you must reach back over your shoulder to get to it. No way to do this with two hands to replace the battery. I managed to remove it, disconnect the 120 volt power, pull the battery, and then re-mount it without a battery or 120 volt power. No way could I re-connect the 120 volt power from the ladder with my fear of heights while standing on my 22 foot ladder.

If I had a good place to store the scaffolding, I would purchase and use that to access this detector. Keep looking for a neighbor who has it and I could borrow. My 22 foot ladder was basically the neighborhood ladder for a good while.

(I have 8 other detectors in my average size house, so I am not real concerned about one unit out of service.)
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you can afford it, look for a used Scissor Lift. The smallest width is 28". I park my coach in between the house and the wall. I only have about 32" on each side. Another 10" on each side and I would be the owner of a scissor lift. That way I could drive it up and down the length of the coach and up and down the sides to wash and wax. Even better would be to install a chair on the scissor lift.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #13

Yes, I have a rolling stair set, mine is about 7 ft to the top step, which works well for working around the edge of the motorhome, putting a lot of stuff at around shoulder level, not so good for roof access. I bought 3 of these stair sets in 3 different heights at a Lowes store fixture auction about 15 years ago, where they had built a new bigger store across the street, closed the old one and were selling off the fixtures, and remaining inventory, they had about 30-40 of these for sale total, being sold in lots of 3. I got lucky and won all 3 for under $200.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:04 AM   #14

Don, thanks for your post. It never occurred to me to consider a scissor jack. I checked out electric scissor jacks by JLG, Genie and Skyjack on eBay and found prices ranging from (used) $1000 (19')to about $8000 (32'). Much safer idea than the scaffolding I currently use and more handy as well. I am going to look into selling my scaffolding and may just switch.

Only minor issue is the gravel floor in the TT storage shed. Your idea is so appealing I may just have a concrete floor put in so I can use this contraption.

Tags
steps