Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Roof and A/C question

My 2000 Bounder (called by the RV service tech as the Chevette of motorhomes) is in need of new A/C units to replace the aged Coleman units that came with it. At the same time, the EPDM rubber roof is starting show the black color coming through. I thought while having the A/C units replaced, I would have the seams resealed and the roof recoated. The roof is not leaking, I just thought it would be good preventative maintenance.

The first company I contacted wants to replace the ducted A/C units with non-ducted units. I have the great (sarcastic) Intellitec thermostat and controllers. They also want to redo the seams with Dicor lap seal and then use a local Tucson manufacturer's liquid acrylic coating that rolls on. Their price for all of this is just over $4799.

The second company I contacted wants to replace the A/C units with new Coleman A/C units and use the ducted system. The want to redo the seams with Dicor lap seal as well, but use a urethane roof coat. They warned me that the acrylic coating originally suggested by the first company will not adhere and will peel off very quickly. Their price for everything is $3359.

What is your opinions on the roofing materials and the ducted vs non-ducted A/C systems? Thanks, Tom
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
No experience with the roof coatings so can't say. But I would stay with duct system, having had both I would not be satisfied going back to non-ducted. More uniformity in cooling entire coach with ducted system.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know what that urethane roof coat may be, but I would want the ducted a/c units. Did they mention a brand name for that coating? I've not heard of any that are urethane-based, but that doesn't mean is there is no such thing.

There is reason to be suspicious of the type of coating - Fleetwood uses Alpha brand EPDM rather than Dicor's membrane and some coatings may not be compatible with it unless the correct primer is used.

The Dicor lap sealant is fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #4

Are you sure it's EPDM? My roof is TPO.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
The folks putting a ducked system in are cheaper. Not a problem there.

As far a roof coatings. I would do “do diligence” on that. Lots of stuff out there. Some good and some not so good.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
It’s an EPDM roof. Black in the bottom, white on the top.

The urethane is American Weatherstar Ure-A-Sil. I’m trying my hardest to do my due diligence in the roof coating. The roof job includes a full primer prior to the final coating.

I have no problem staying with ducted air and Coleman Mach III A/C units.

Thanks for the input!
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The American Weatherstar Ure-A-Sil claims to be suitable for use over EPDM and the primer ought to insure that. Combined with a lower price and the ducted a/c units, I'd say that's a clear winner.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

I just had my roof a/c replaced with an Atwood Aircommand ducted unit, 15k.
Runs much quieter and cooler than the old Penguin.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof