RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 10:29 PM   #1

Roof Peeling???

We just bought this travel trailer new and have used it only 2 summers. The roof seems to be peeling in places. Recommendations??? I've tried to contact the dealer and they won't call me back. Is this something I can or need to repair? It is not leaking. There are no holes through the roof. It just seems like a layer is coming off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201026_160852.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	309981  
TNTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry your first post is about problems ..

JMHO: By-pass the dealer and call the RV manufacturer .
Old 12-02-2020, 05:05 AM   #3

Iíve got a friend that had as similar problem that was ignored by the dealer and the manufacturer until his wife started a social media campaign. She had pictures, brand name and listed all the problems the manufacturer chose to ignore. Basically with using all the facts she was dragging them through the mud. Later the same day she was contacted by a VP of that manufacturer that took care of their issue.
tighedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTeacher View Post
We just bought this travel trailer new and have used it only 2 summers. The roof seems to be peeling in places. Recommendations??? I've tried to contact the dealer and they won't call me back. Is this something I can or need to repair? It is not leaking. There are no holes through the roof. It just seems like a layer is coming off.

Quick question, have you climbed up and looked closer.
Ours looked exactly like that from ground, but turned out it was old caulking coming loose where they ran a bead at top of the track and the roof.
Should be able to clean off loose stuff and reapply new.
Ours became part of the normal roof inspection/ reapply as needed list.

Good luck.
WV_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would call the General Manager at the RV dealer. If no response I would then call the manufacturer's Customer Service Manager. I always start at the top!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #6

Can't tell from the picture if that is a fiberglass roof or rubber with some kind of a coating.
But it needs to be cleaned and inspected no matter what. If there is peeling, the next thing is leaks and that can total the unit so don't procrastinate.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see anything I would call "peeling", but it needs to be cleaned up and inspected more closely to see what it is. Perhaps it's just due for caulking that edge.

Please identify the year/make/model of RV, or at least the type of roof material (EPDM rubber, TPO, fiberglass, etc).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #8

To look like that at only two years old, even if stored outside, there must be some bad stuff in the atmosphere where you live. In the image, it looks thick enough to be fiberglass. If so, I can't imagine what would be causing that to happen. The caulk under the window frame looks pretty bad itself, certainly looks to have been around more than a couple of years. I know the OP said new but I wonder if it had maybe been sitting on the lot for a couple of years before the OP came along?

It definitely needs inspecting to see just what is happening. I'd be calling the manufacturer since the dealer is non responsive. Some manufacturers have a longer warranty on their roof so it might be covered if found to be defective.

Hope that you can get some assistance with this but if not, you'll need to hire someone or fix it yourself. Whatever you do, it's probably not a good idea to use silicon caulk for the repair.

Tags
roof