Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Routinely checking seals and camper longevity

I am a new owner of a brand new camper and I have been conscientious about checking my seals. If I continue to do this can I reasonably expect that my camper will not experience the damaging effect of water intrusion at any point in the foreseeable decade or so. I realize that if something physically pierces my roof and it rains prior to me catching it, I will experience some water damage, but short of this happening, how else could I experience water damage that could cause an issue if I do not catch it within a day or so? I store our camper in a storage lot so I do not see it every day.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Unless a meteor fell from the sky and hit the top of your camper I seriously doubt that anything will puncture the roof however, since it's outside in the elements, the mystical rays of the sun have a clever way of drying out the Dicor along the edges of the roof, seams and vents, etc. I'd say about every 2 to 3 months I'd get up on the roof and scrape away any dried out sealant and replace it with Dicor self leveling sealer. Available at just about every trailer supply house. It's also available on line. Only replace what's needed, no sense going crazy. In other words, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #3

Any (most) joint on the rig can leak water to the inside. Just checking slide seals is not enough. I assume you mean slide seals.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

I am referring to all seams and seals checked routinely.
Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
Community Moderator

On our old unit a Keystone Laredo ($36K MSRP), I checked the roof and other areas every 3 months. no leaks in the 12 years we had it.
Oct 2017 we traded it in and bought a 2018 Road Warrior ($132K MSRP). October 2018 I noticed a water leak coming from under the unit, cost $20 for a replacement part that failed. Outcome - the water leak had been going on for long time to cause floor damage to the point that the Road Warrior had to go the manufacture to get 5 feet of floor replaced. There was floor rot and mold had started to develop, at least it was still under warranty for helping with the cost of repairs.
What I am trying to say is water damage comes from more then the roof area. Not only check the roof but also the water lines. Never had any indication any thing was wrong until seen water dripping out from under the unit.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
I am a new owner of a brand new camper and I have been conscientious about checking my seals. If I continue to do this can I reasonably expect that my camper will not experience the damaging effect of water intrusion at any point in the foreseeable decade or so. I realize that if something physically pierces my roof and it rains prior to me catching it, I will experience some water damage, but short of this happening, how else could I experience water damage that could cause an issue if I do not catch it within a day or so? I store our camper in a storage lot so I do not see it every day.
There are no guarantees. Ours is 19 years old and never had a leak. I check the roof and side caulking yearly and routinely remove and replace the dicor when it looks rough. Part of it is how it was designed and built from the factory. Our roof is one piece fiberglass that slips over the top of the end caps. There is no roof to end cap seam on top of the coach.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am referring to all seams and seals checked routinely.

Subject to the caveat that "all" really means every possible place where water could get between tow objects, then yes. The only other external source is physical damage, e.g. a tear or puncture.

The problem of course is identifying "all" the places and then assiduously checking them in a timely manner. A seam or edge along a roof penetration or a vertical side seam could conceivable open up in the first mile of driving after a complete check-up. Or from just sitting through a weather change.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Good that you're checking, but after you own it for a while, you"ll get a feel for how things are holding up in your climate.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post

No guarantees, but you stand a way better chance of not having issues than folks who never do anything.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

I have noticed that slide seals allow moisture past at a slow almost imperceptible rate. However, the damage will eventually show, maybe 5 years more or less?

Tags
seal, seals