Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Rude people

Wasn't sure where to put this. Pulled in to a gas station last night in western Ohio. It is a small station and the only lane that would allow me room to exit was the one on the far right. Cadillac there but I am in no hurry so I pull up behind it to wait my turn. Young lady in the passenger seat, but know one else aeound. After 5 or so minutes it is obvious her partner is getting takeout dinner. I surmise that she probably doesn't have keys or she would have moved the car to one of the empty parking spaces.

At about the 10 minute mark the other half shows up with dinner. I am amazed as this pair proceed to eat their dinner while sitting at the gas pump. At the 20 minute mark he gets out of the car and retrieves about 100 paper towells from the windshield wash station, and gets back in the car. A few minutes later he gets out again and gets another 100 or so paper towels.

Almost 30 minutes after arriving, this wonderful pair of human beings decide they have blocked my access to fuel long enough and leave.

I thought about laying on the horn, and also thought about knocking on the window, but in this angry world we live in didn't want to get shot.

What do you think about this and what would you have done?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #2

See it all the time. Worse the bigger the station is. I always try to do my thing then move to clear the pumps. Worst I have found is Gardner's using the RV lanes! Not that they can't, but filling 3 mowers,10 gas cans and then getting lunch/snacks is a bit much!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #3

Suppose every past generation has thought the next generation was going to h---! Sometimes hard to believe the "Greatest Generation" raised us and how we in turn, have raised this current crop of "snowflakes." Fortunately, we seem to succeed at life, often in spite of ourselves...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #4

Unfortunately, the people in the car were not being rude.

What you experienced is, "this is my world"itis. The affliction that has been sweeping across the nation for some time.

It is their world. The rest of us do not exist in their eyes.

I am not sure what I would have done. As I am fully aware of the short fuses on some of these people with this entitlement complex....

My guess is they probably threw the containers for the food out the window as well....
Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

YUP

One way lane for fuel ..... car pulling a boat (North Bay Ontario Canada) ,,, we wait. They pull out, start to pull up ... a-hole in a tiny little POC pulls in the WRONG WAY - blocks me .... takes her sweet time fueling .... then takes 10 + min in the store ... glares at me for being "in the way" I suppose ... wants me to back up .... never going to happen ... "this is my hill to die on".

After she shows amazingly poor driving skills "Austin Powers" 50 point turns around . HA. I would have waited all day.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would have had a very hard time not using the front bumper on my coach, my wife keeps me under wraps in that dept. as I AM one of those with a very short fuse that goes from 0 to crazy in no time flat. What I would have done depends on weather my wife was with me or not, she has me count backwards starting at 10,000 then think of the ocean crashing against the shore, then the sound of birds chirping... by that time the jerk would have left and I am left feeling unfulfilled........ great gal I have... kept me out of prison for over 40 years now

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #7

I would have leaned on the horn until they moved.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
At about the 10 min mark when the guy returns and starts to eat dinner, I would have politely asked him to park away from the pump. If he refused, i would have gone into the store and told the clerk that you are about to purchase $250 of diesel, and asked the clerk to ask him to move. I'm sure that most businesses' policies prohibit loitering. No sense in escalating the situation yourself.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Old 07-15-2017, 08:45 AM   #9

I have no problem asking people to move. If you don't want to talk to idiots, tell whoever is in charge about the problem.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this. Pulled in to a gas station last night in western Ohio. It is a small station and the only lane that would allow me room to exit was the one on the far right. Cadillac there but I am in no hurry so I pull up behind it to wait my turn. Young lady in the passenger seat, but know one else aeound. After 5 or so minutes it is obvious her partner is getting takeout dinner. I surmise that she probably doesn't have keys or she would have moved the car to one of the empty parking spaces.

At about the 10 minute mark the other half shows up with dinner. I am amazed as this pair proceed to eat their dinner while sitting at the gas pump. At the 20 minute mark he gets out of the car and retrieves about 100 paper towells from the windshield wash station, and gets back in the car. A few minutes later he gets out again and gets another 100 or so paper towels.

Almost 30 minutes after arriving, this wonderful pair of human beings decide they have blocked my access to fuel long enough and leave.

I thought about laying on the horn, and also thought about knocking on the window, but in this angry world we live in didn't want to get shot.

What do you think about this and what would you have done?

Good thing you kept it together, you never know in this day and age. He could have just rolled down the car window and shot you in the face. This is not the world we grew up in, people's attitude has and still is changing.

On the other hand, I was at a place a few months back with two sets of doors at the entrance to the public washroom and I, as the person who I am, usually have a quick look over the shoulder to see if somebody is behind me before I walk through and hold the door for them and there was this little punk, really as in punk from hell, so I hold the door for him and let him go first and lo and behold he says 'Thank you Sir' and returns the favor at the next door. So, hopefully not all is lost.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #11

There's every chance that even if they noticed you were there (which is not a given), they thought you were just hanging around like they were hanging around. Unless you know they were intentionally blocking you, you can't conclude they were rude.

Honking the horn would be rude. Tapping on the window could startle them. I would have walked around to the front of the car so they could naturally see me, and then approached the window and let them know I need to use the pump where they are.

If they tell you to pound sand, then that's rude. But not grokking to what you want, even if it would be completely obvious if you were in their shoes? That's more oblivious than rude.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #12

I simply assume they are completely unaware that in an RV you may be limited to your choice of pumps, routes in / out etc. I never would, have considered an RV "hindered" before I had one; if you are in a hurry, just move to another pump would have been my perception. Now, on the other hand, I always been very cognizant not to tie up a pump lane.

Only once did I experience a situation where I got a rude response (they decided to go walk the dogs.....), but in hindsight, I really didn't explain the situation very well.

I've gotten a few "huh", ok I'll move responses, but generally I get a positive response when asking politely and explaining my situation.

Just yesterday, a guy was blokcing got my route out, and I went over and he was happy to move for me......

As for the consitant complaints about self absorbed "me" people, ask yourself - where did they learn it? Yep, thier parents and grandparents (that would be "you" ).
Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same thing happened to us returning from Yellowstone last month. Even after returning from ordering their takeout food and me waiting another 10 minutes for them to eat it. I politely asked if they could move up a few feet so I can fuel up. Nope, had to wait another 10 minutes for them to finish. I was kind of screwed because it was really the only pump Island I could get into without blocking others and in the mean while another truck and trailer parked in back of us as I now couldn't even back up go to another gas station.

Didn't want a gun pulled on us, so we just waited. People just don't get it. Turned into almost 30 minute wait. When I say gun was because years ago someone cut in a gas line in front of me, when I said something a gun was pulled and I was more than happy to respect the power of the firearm.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

You could have helped the poor fella out a bit......and pumped about 10 gallons of diesel in his tank!
Closed Thread