RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Running 110V Electric in a Sprinter Slide

Decided to give up on the On-Demand hotwater heater because of the frequent blasts of cold water when putting shower nozzle on hold. Have installed a 4-gallon Surburban electric / Propane unit.

Thought there would be no problems running the wiring for the 110 volt (HW heater located under forward dinette seat in slide)... just realized that I was installing the line in a slide that was going to a fixed power panel.... Has anyone else done this in a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE Mercedes Sprinter?

Saw a possible Plan B option though it would not be as good. There is a 15 amp plug under the dinette table.... could connect the HW heater to a plug to connect into that outlet. Comments?

Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Problem with plan " B " you have to know what the watts required for the w/h are and what else is running on the outlet .

I don't know what power is required for the w/h in question ( 4 gal ) but the 6 and 10 gal heaters in my RVs all had 1440 watt heaters ; that would require ALL the power a 15 amp circuit can provide ( 14.4 amp draw) . RVs with electric w/h function , have a dedicated circuit from the breaker panel.
If there is any other load; on the circuit; you'll be tripping the C/B , often.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #3

1440 watts at 120 volts is12 amps, so your not at the max of the breaker, but you will need to see if any higher amp devices are on the breaker.

Easy enough to check, find the breaker, switch it off and see what doesn't work.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
1440 watts at 120 volts is12 amps, so your not at the max of the breaker, but you will need to see if any higher amp devices are on the breaker.

Easy enough to check, find the breaker, switch it off and see what doesn't work.
According to a building inspector friend of mine the standard duplex outlet (designated as a NEMA 5-15) is only good for 12 amps... this is why the "vacuum cleaner wars" from 15-20 years ago topped out as "12 amps of cleaning power".

If i were in the original poster's shoes I'd do it right way and figure out a way to add a new electrical cable (AWG 10) that was run from a new 20 amp breaker to the water heater location. There I'd install a NEMA 5-20 outlet (the 5-20 has the "T" slot on one pin and can handle either 15 or 20 amp plugs). Yes, the #10 cable is overkill (it's good for 30 amps) but for a short run the difference in the cost of the cable (over the normal and smaller #12) is measured in pennies. If you want to go larger (#8) it's good for 50 amps... And the other half of the duplex outlet can be used to feed something else.
Yes, I'm anal about wire size and current carrying capacity... back when I was in high school we had an electrical fire in our house and almost lost the house....

One of the better articles on wire size:
https: // www.achrnews.com/articles/135676-what-most-techs-get-wrong-about-wire-sizing

Mike
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2020, 09:04 PM   #5

You must fuse the WH at 15 amps so just run a #14 copper wire and be done with it. Run another wire if you want to add something else!

No need to run a wire sized to run a small city.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

The heater is in a slide, the outlet is in the slide.

He can't just run a cable, 14, 12 or 10 gauge. He will need cable, some J boxes, some cord, and some way to support it as it moves.

Does any one read the details ?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #7

L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
According to a building inspector friend of mine the standard duplex outlet (designated as a NEMA 5-15) is only good for 12 amps... this is why the "vacuum cleaner wars" from 15-20 years ago topped out as "12 amps of cleaning power".

Mike
Great, the heater only draws 12 amps, he can use 14 gauge.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Wiring in a slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Decided to give up on the On-Demand hotwater heater because of the frequent blasts of cold water when putting shower nozzle on hold. Have installed a 4-gallon Surburban electric / Propane unit.

Thought there would be no problems running the wiring for the 110 volt (HW heater located under forward dinette seat in slide)... just realized that I was installing the line in a slide that was going to a fixed power panel.... Has anyone else done this in a 2018 Freedom Elite 24FE Mercedes Sprinter?

Saw a possible Plan B option though it would not be as good. There is a 15 amp plug under the dinette table.... could connect the HW heater to a plug to connect into that outlet. Comments?
I don't see how I can get the wire from slide to the fixed section where the power panel is located and not have a BIG issue when opening and closing the slide. If I had access to section behind closet, perhaps I could do it but this would require massive cutting.
The 110 volt outlet wiring under the dinette is 14-2 with ground. This is one of 5 outlets going to 15 amp breaker. Nothing other than TV is plugged into any of these 5, unless we are using percolator or wife using hair dryer. The HW heater is 1440 watts. What does the group think if I changed the 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp, and then just plugged the HW heater into that accessible outlet? I would probably just establish a routine of unplugging WH when cooking.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #9

NEVER replace a breaker or fuse with a higher rated one.

The breaker is designed to trip before the wire overheats and causes a fire.

Tags
electric, slide, sprinter