Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Running portable AC going down the road

I have a Winnebago Sightseer 28" Motorhome. I have gotten past trying to repair the dash air due to the costs involved and possible other unforeseen problems. I have considered purchasing a dual hose portable A/C unit. I was watching a Youtube video yesterday where a guy had done just this. During the video words popped up on the screen saying that you could not use it while moving. Other than the draw from the generator with both the portable and the roof unit running how would this be an issue. My generator is a Onan 4000 Watt. The only thing I can think of is that the portable A/C would not function correctly due to the air moving at 55 MPH or better while going down the road. Anyone care to throw in their two cents on this?
acpd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

Why not just run your roof air. That is what we do?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Why not just run your roof air. That is what we do?
I agree. I have never had to run more than one roof AC unit going down the road since I can shut off the back part of the MH.

The big issue is having an 80# dead weight that is designed to be portable and not tied down.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I agree. I have never had to run more than one roof AC unit going down the road since I can shut off the back part of the MH.

The big issue is having an 80# dead weight that is designed to be portable and not tied down.

That’s a lot of impact damage if the worst should happen...definitely would recommend it, like the others have said, why not use the roof AC?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

Response

I guess something got lost in the translation. I would be running both the roof AC and the portable AC at the same time. On our last trip the roof air could not keep up. It was 92 degrees outside and 80 degrees inside with the unit at full capacity. Rear vents were shut to cause the air to come out of the front vents only. The only thing I did not think to do and have done since is hang a thick curtain to block the air from the rear of the coach. I have ordered the insulated vent thingys. they should be here Sunday. As far as the portable unit being secured, that can be achieved fairly easily.
acpd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

I'm not so sure about operating the portable unit while moving. The intake and exhaust hoses are designed to fit into a sliding residential window and at highway speed not sure how well it would work. Basically the hoses are just plastic dryer vent tubing. You'll also have to deal with the water bucket that catches the condensate. I'd say heed the on screen warning. How's the saying go? A wise man only needs to be warned once. Something like that.

I would just fix the dash air rather than dealing with generators, roof, and portable AC units running while driving. That's a lot extra wear and tear on that equipment too. What is wrong with the dash AC thats too expensive to repair?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

I agree with 60sumptin, have the dash air conditioner repaired, it is exactly like an auto air conditioning unit, and probably the same size.
First try re-charging the unit yourself with a refrigerant +leak stop. Buy the kind with a gauge in the head of the refrigerant can that show when the system is full, just follow the directions on the can.
As to securing the portable unit while driving in case of a crash, think again, calculate how much force is involved when 80# suddenly stops from 60MPH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #8

The two hose a/c units are sometimes used in van conversions - I have customers that use them locally.

The main things to keep in mind are:
- They are designed for sitting still - not vibrating down the road. As a result, they will likely fail faster than something designed for mobile use.

- The air intake / exhaust aspect just need to be thought through. Some people poke holes through the floor or roof for more permanent mounting.

The hoses are relatively thin plastic, so noise will come through.

One thing that you could try is to just run the hoses into the back area of the coach while driving. That would basically be using the main a/c to keep take the down the extreme outdoor temperature to the 80 - 90 F range, and then use your portable like a spot cooler.

I would think that it would work better if the hot air outlet is directed "up" to flow the hot air across the ceiling and the air inlet is pulling cooler air from lower in the room, but that is speculation.

Some two hose units will evaporate the condensate water into the exhaust hose to help improve efficiency, but that assumes that the hot humid air is not a problem.

Some units have drain hoses that could be directed down through the floor.

I am not saying that this is ideal, but neither is the current situation and let's face it, many RV a/c are not meeting their owner's desired goals either.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If I may ask, what is wrong with your dash ac unit?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

My dash air went out some time ago. I haven't bothered getting it fixed and may not. However, a single roof air cools our 34' class A just fine in 100+ temps. I wonder why yours does not? Sounds like you may have something open that allows a lot of air to enter or a lot of air to be sucked out when going down the road. You might want to look into that.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
I guess something got lost in the translation. I would be running both the roof AC and the portable AC at the same time. On our last trip the roof air could not keep up. It was 92 degrees outside and 80 degrees inside with the unit at full capacity.
Maybe you are not listening or you are too young to remember cars before AC and seat belts.

First if it is 92 outside and 80 inside, your AC is keeping up.

I am mechanical engineer and the science of keeping the human body comfortable is a little complicated. When we perspire and water changes from liquid to water vapor, the phase change absorbs lots of heat.

Even though my dash vents no longer blow cold air from its AC coils, I put it on 'max AC (recirculates and blocks outside air)' and put the fan on high speed. The air blowing on my face and arms keeps me comfortable.

Second, a motor home is an impossible design problems for cooling because of the large window area. Radiant heat transfer is the the most efficient heat transfer mechanism. If you let direct sunlight into the large window areas, the AC units can not keep up. Recently I made the mistake of pulling into a pull through space facing the afternoon sun. I did not realize it it until we had hooked up power and the shade tree was no longer shading. Even with the privacy curtain pulled it was too hot and the AC could not keep up. Time for a walk.

The solution is blocking the direct sunlight. Use radiant barrier in the side windows with the shades down. Find something to do besides drive into the afternoon sun. If you see me driving in circles at Walmart, I am trying to find the best way to keep sun from coming in while taking a nap.

As far as securing heavy objects, it is very easy to show how you will fail.

Think of it this way. The easy way is one roof AC on the generator. It may be a learning process but we do it.

The hard, expensive, and dangerous way is adding a third AC.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Watch a "You Tube" video on how to fix your dash AC.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
I guess something got lost in the translation. I would be running both the roof AC and the portable AC at the same time. On our last trip the roof air could not keep up. It was 92 degrees outside and 80 degrees inside with the unit at full capacity. Rear vents were shut to cause the air to come out of the front vents only. The only thing I did not think to do and have done since is hang a thick curtain to block the air from the rear of the coach. I have ordered the insulated vent thingys. they should be here Sunday. As far as the portable unit being secured, that can be achieved fairly easily.

What is the delta temp (air coming out of the AC) vs the ambient air temp near the inlet?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #14

Rube Goldberg lives!
Shoot, we keep our home thermostat at 80 during the hot Texas summer. Deal with it and run the genny and your roof air. Spend some money and get the dash air fixed.
28 footer only has one roof air?
Take some clothes off too. T-shirt and shorts.