Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Running propane fridge during travel & sleep

We'll be driving for 3 1/2 days straight before stopping anywhere with hookups. (Plan to sleep at truck stops along the way.)

For our dual fuel fridge, we were thinking of running it off the propane during the drive and while sleeping (for 3 1/2 days). Is this reasonable?

If it is too hot, at night, we may run the generator for the A/C. If so, we can switch the fridge to the electric.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #2

There is no reason not to do that. It is how most of them are used.

Mine is on propane 90% of the time and the only time the fridge is turned off is when it is in storage over winter. I do not switch back and forth while on generator, I will forgot to switch it back to propane and it will kill my batteries.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "use propane while driving" discussion is akin to the "gas vs diesel" threads; everyone has a different opinion. Personally, using the propane on the fridge is what it was designed for. We always travel with the fridge on propane.
Actually, if your fridge has an Auto/Gas setting, just leave it on auto. It should switch to electric when you have hookups or when you run the generator.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Actually, if your fridge has an Auto/Gas setting, just leave it on auto. It should switch to electric when you have hookups or when you run the generator.
Assuming it is not wired into a circuit with an inverter on it.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We did it with a TT back in the 70's with my dad.. I do the same..

I do get nervous when I am refueling ... I have shut it off now and then..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
The "use propane while driving" discussion is akin to the "gas vs diesel" threads; everyone has a different opinion. Personally, using the propane on the fridge is what it was designed for. We always travel with the fridge on propane.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fridges were designed to run on propane, so run it while driving and sleeping. Been running with propane on since 1984 and I have not blown up anything yet.

Be sure you have a functioning propane and CO detector. Shut off the fridge at the control panel when fueling.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing to worry about. We have been doing this for years. The Dometic and Suburban reefers were designed for that.

We have ours set for automatic so when there is 120vac available, it switches automatically. Saves some propane for other things.

Some folks will say traveling with it on will cause the rig to catch fire and burn to the ground. It might if there is a problem with the refrigerant system and it gets too hot, or a line breaks.....But there are protective devices installed to shut it off.

Another point is if there is cold food and frozen stuff in the freezer. it will stay around 40 degrees for a few hours, depending on the outside temps. We don't worry about running it.....better than food poisoning due to the reefer started to thaw out and inside temps reached 50-60 degrees for a period of time.

My opinion....others will vary.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #9

i always ran down the road on propane.i actually think it worked its best on the road as the wind over the vents helped suck the excess heat out.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
One thing to keep an eye out for is that sometimes the propane flame can get blown out while driving because of the wind currents and then fail to re-light. I suggest to check the fridge at every stop and if that happens, it is easy to reset the fridge (many just turn off and back on) while stopped and it will re-light.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #11

Dometic and Norcold both have flame safety features

LP System has Excess Flow safety features

Fridge/water heater/furnace all have built in safety features so all can be used stationary or while traveling

Stove top/ovens....they are the real unsafe appliances as they are MANUALLY operated by humans
Check that the stove top burner knobs are OFF and your LP Detector WORKS
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #12

Been thinking about this.

If the fridge is set on auto, will it choose to run off the batteries will driving since the batteries are being charged as we travel?

If we run it off the propane while traveling and have to fill the gasoline tank, does shutting off the fridge (as opposed to turning off the propane tank at the tank) provide that level of safety? --the location of our gas fill up is directly above our propane tank.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2roll View Post
Been thinking about this.

If the fridge is set on auto, will it choose to run off the batteries will driving since the batteries are being charged as we travel?

If we run it off the propane while traveling and have to fill the gasoline tank, does shutting off the fridge (as opposed to turning off the propane tank at the tank) provide that level of safety? --the location of our gas fill up is directly above our propane tank.
The reason for shutting off the fridge is to prevent it from running on propane (flame) or attempting to start (spark). Shutting off the propane at the tank does not prevent the fridge from trying to start a flame. Flame and spark are the issues, not propane.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBike View Post
The reason for shutting off the fridge is to prevent it from running on propane (flame) or attempting to start (spark). Shutting off the propane at the tank does not prevent the fridge from trying to start a flame. Flame and spark are the issues, not propane.
Thank you for that. So we can just turn off the fridge when we stop to refuel.

Tags
fridge, propane, travel