Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

RV Abandoned? in Our Sub-Division

About 3 weeks ago I saw a MH parked at our local Publix. It was a Tuscany-about 40', DP. Looked OK from a distance. The parking lot is small for a grocery store and it's in a very residential area. I thought "Wow, that has to be a neighbor, must be loading up before a trip". The way the RV was parked in the parking lot led me to believe that they were inside getting supplies.

Fast forward a few days and oddly enough the RV was there again! I started getting suspicious.

A week later, still there. Now I'm thinking perhaps one of the workers is living in it.

Three weeks later and it moves to a new spot. OK, it's private property and I've given up caring.

As I was leaving our subdivision last Saturday, I drove past the same RV! It has taken up residence in an empty lot. There are hundreds of empty lots in our community that still need to be built upon. This is a lot that used to house the sales trailer for the developer way back when. It is level, has asphalt, and is about 2 acres. I stopped, did a double-take, and got some photos. I did get up close and the rig is in pretty bad shape. The stairs are tied up with rope, there are various trim pieces falling off and it is pretty banged up.

I emailed the on-site Property Manager the photos and asked if our subdivision had become a member of Harvest Hosts? We do have a lovely 18-hole golf course within our sub-division. She didn't get the joke. Our sub-division, like most, has a "No RVs Allowed on Any Property" clause. They remind us monthly in the newsletter. Which is why this is pretty funny. I was the only homeowner who emailed her she said!

She did email me today, Tuesday, stating the MH owner is not a homeowner in our subdivision and the tags are expired so perhaps it is stolen? She found the owner via FB and tried to call him. She left a message that his rig (40' DP) would be towed at his expense if it were not removed within 24-hours. I didn't alert her to the cost of that tow job.

My point of this: I can't believe that someone would think they could get away with letting this huge RV sit, trespassing on private property, right across from the main office, in a golf course community! We have very few RVers in our community and only a few have MHs. Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuscany at Publix.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	293167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuscany at Subdivision.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	293168  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe they never planned on "getting away with it", maybe they just parked there until someone told them to move. If they move before it gets towed, they got a couple of free nights boondocking in your golf course community.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Maybe they never planned on "getting away with it", maybe they just parked there until someone told them to move. If they move before it gets towed, they got a couple of free nights boondocking in your golf course community.
We haven't seen anyone around. No sign of life. And, it was parked at the Publix for over 3 weeks. That's a lot of boondocking in one space. Plus, the plates/tags are expired.

I'm not clear on how the Property Manager found the owner and actually got through to anyone. That sounds iffy.

I do applaud their chutzpah! In plain site. No one said a word...
Old 07-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you reported it to the police?

Could be a stolen vehicle.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
We haven't seen anyone around. No sign of life. And, it was parked at the Publix for over 3 weeks. That's a lot of boondocking in one space. Plus, the plates/tags are expired.

I'm not clear on how the Property Manager found the owner and actually got through to anyone. That sounds iffy.

I do applaud their chutzpah! In plain site. No one said a word...
Someone must be around, otherwise how would it have moved. I agree with another poster, it is likely squatters who will hang out until the last possible minute than move on. And I would tread carefully on that lot after they leave, since living in an RV occasionally requires dumping the black tanks.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
How does one find an owner of something like this via facebook?
Old 07-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

Whatever is going on it's clear you are dealing with someone whose life is not in a good place.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have you ever been to seattle? Thats the game there. People in RV's parked on the street everywhere and they have more rights thank tax paying citizens.

My buddy got a ticket for parking in front of his apt after 1 night.. He has had an RV parked out front for months and nobody does a thing about it..

Its the new age.....
Old 07-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #9

That is not a typical squatters motorhome. The police need to be involved. There might be someone dead in there!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #10

So, did they dump?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Homeless and trying to find places to stay until asked to leave....happens here is So Cal all the time. The Publix probably asked him to leave.

But most of the coaches are beaters here. Crap tied to the roof, etc. Duct tape everywhere. They find a local street drain and let her rip!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post

My point of this: I can't believe that someone would think they could get away with letting this huge RV sit, trespassing on private property, right across from the main office, in a golf course community! We have very few RVers in our community and only a few have MHs. Crazy!
Sometimes the best place to hide, is in plain sight.

You're right about the condition. Looking at the thumbnail images one might think the unit was in decent shape. When viewed as a full size image it's easier to see that it's not gotten care and attention for at least a couple of years.

A Tuscany would be upscale for the stereotypical "houseless" shell game rentals. I'm more inclined to think this is what's left of someones previous, more prosperous existence.

My guess is they are not "houseless by choice."
Old 07-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Sometimes the best place to hide, is in plain sight.

You're right about the condition. Looking at the thumbnail images one might think the unit was in decent shape. When viewed as a full size image it's easier to see that it's not gotten care and attention for at least a couple of years.

A Tuscany would be upscale for the stereotypical "houseless" shell game rentals. I'm more inclined to think this is what's left of someones previous, more prosperous existence.

My guess is they are not "houseless by choice."
Or maybe it is a rental or an owner financed deal were the people in it have nothing at risk. What's the difference between a rental RV and an ATV? The rented RV can go anywhere.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #14

Welcome to the new "homeless" generation. Here in Seattle, we have hundreds of RVs/travel trailers parked on the streets. They sit until someone complains then they move to a new spot and start all over again.
Closed Thread

Tags
vision