Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Rv accident

This was last Thursday march 28th on 95 north in Florida, the Rv rear ended a pickup truck, the pickup was pretty bad I hope that no one was Injured.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2544391729.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	35993
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Ouch ! I hope so also.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #3

Ouch, hope everyone was OK.

I would be curious who was at fault. So many of us have been cut off by people in smaller vehicles, just to have them stomp on the brakes.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #4

I don't know what the case was but it sucks to see accidents.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I also hope nobody was injured. It is a good reminder to make sure our brakes are set up. I am not saying that is what caused this, it could have been many things. An experience that no one needs.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #6

Well from my experience on the road many years, is that a very high number of rear end collisions are caused by following to close & or not paying attention to the traffic conditions ahead of you. A very low amount of these types of incidents are caused by brake failure or brake adjustment conditions.
Hope no one was hurt.

Reg
Old 03-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
Well from my experience on the road many years, is that a very high number of rear end collisions are caused by following to close & or not paying attention to the traffic conditions ahead of you. A very low amount of these types of incidents are caused by brake failure or brake adjustment conditions.
Hope no one was hurt.

Reg
No body said that the accident was caused by brake failure or not adjusted.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

I think when you hit somebody in the rear you have a tough time blameing it on them.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

CA Basic Speed law...

California has what is called the basic speed limit law, other states may also have it.

In simple terms, it overrides every and all other posted or assumed speed limits, with the lowest speed being the one enforced.

It simply states "One can only drive a speed that is safe for the road conditions".

I have only seen it enforced one time, and I was glad the CHP was there.

We got rear ended in freeway traffic by an uninsured arrogant pain in the butt that was traveling over 55 or so while we were coming to a stop in traffic.

He hit so hard that our hole in the trailer hitch left a crisp stamp in the center of his bumper, left the ball out because it is a leg knocker, wished it was in that day!

Hosed up his chevy PU bumper, only knocked some of the dirt off ours.

CHP directed us all into a nearby parking lot, could not find damage to us, the other guy was obvious.

We replaced the hitch due to heavy towing, had to argue with the insurance company, they did not want to replace, until I advised we towed 8500 pound generators and there would be certain hell to pay in California if the hitch failed and it was known that it was not replaced after accident.

The CHP advised that since he was not witness to the accident and there was no observable damage to our Superduty that it was difficult to clearly write the report.

But since the other vehicle hit the back of our vehicle it was clear that he was driving to fast for the road conditions as evidenced by the damage to the front of his vehicle, so the other driver was cited for violating the basic speed law.

It is the one type of speeding ticket that you can receive in CA with zero measurement or witness by the LEO, in this case a good thing.

For the MH in the accident, someone could have pulled in front and hit the brakes, but on the surface he was driving too fast for the conditions present at the time (conditions includes vehicle performance, driver ability, road conditions and anything else that may apply)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #10

It must be assumed that all crashes in rear enders are your fault if you are the rear crashing vehicle. So why not back off more than you usually do? Might save you a trip to the repair factory. Don't worry about someone crowding in the blank spot, he can have it, you just want a cushion from crashing into forward vehicles.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Ouch, hope everyone was OK.

I would be curious who was at fault. So many of us have been cut off by people in smaller vehicles, just to have them stomp on the brakes.
X2
I had a guy pull out in front of me on US395 in Adelanto Ca. I was doing about 45mph. I had the green light I almost hit him he was pulling a 5th Wheel toy hauler when I got around him he flipped us off!
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
This is why one of the very first "mods" to my MH was the addition of a dash cam. I bought a second mount and run it in the 4-wheeler when not RVing.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read an article just this week about a rise in rear end accidents in Nevada from people purposefully slamming on their brakes. The target is 18 wheelers according to the article, insurance the motive.

Several years ago I was on a freeway in California traveling below the speed limit because traffic was backing a bit. I religiously leave room to stop in front of me but a guy pulled right in front and hit his brakes for no reason I could see.

I hit mine thinking this was it we were going to hit him. And then my toad brakes went on (this all happens in an instant) and it was like I had thrown an anchor out the back. Saved us, the room left when we stopped was about a foot. The car then took off into the space left in traffic because he had stopped.

I second the motion on dash cams.
Be careful it's a jungle out there.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #14

I just bought a dash cam exactly for this reason. I see drivers getting worse and worse on a daily basis. There's hardly a day goes by that I don't have someone dive into a car-length space in front of me or change lanes without looking.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote