Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
four

I have seen two trailers that rolled onto the median grass strip during high winds in mountainous areas and several more in similar areas whose drivers who were accidents waiting to happen.

I have seen two class A coaches that consisted of a floor, flat tires, and nothing else. The rest was blown away by hurricane winds. Both were on main roads on the shoulder and hopefully the riders escaped in a toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #30

Five or six years ago we were sb on I-65 in KY. Toad left the mh in front of us, crossed the median and both nb lanes before stopping against a tree. Northbound cars managed to avoid the unguided toad!
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #31

On one of my first RV outings going south on I-95 south from Jacksonville Florida I saw a big brown cloud ahead on the shoulder of the oncoming lanes. As I passed by there was a pickup truck and travel trailer that looked like it pole vaulted over itself and landed upside down facing the wrong way. It might have flipped then slid around facing the wrong way. I was going to call 911 but several northbound cars had stopped to render aid and my call wouldn't have added anything to the conversation. It was startling to imagine what it was like inside that vehicle as it crashed. Touch wood.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #32

While this will make some cringe, while some my find it entertaining, I find it educational on some level.

https://www.riverdavesplace.com/foru...e34e30dfdf.mp4
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
Five or six years ago we were sb on I-65 in KY. Toad left the mh in front of us, crossed the median and both nb lanes before stopping against a tree. Northbound cars managed to avoid the unguided toad!

This reminds me of an experience with a U-Haul trailer about 35 years ago, I was westbound on I-20 in Alabama, and an eastbound U-Haul trailer jumped the road right in front of me. It came disconnected from an eastbound vehicle, crossed the center median and crossed in front of my car in the air with the axle at about eye level perhaps 50 feet in front of me.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceB View Post
While this will make some cringe, while some my find it entertaining, I find it educational on some level.

I know I have driven that road!
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A suburban towing a bumper hitch house trailer passed me going down hill on a 4 lane mountain road near Rooseveldt dam in AZ several years ago (I was in a car at the time). It was a “tail wagging the dog” going by me, I hit the brakes and watched him swerve all over the road until the trailer finally flipped and tore itself off the hitch, rolling several times becoming air born on each bounce. Completely disinter-graded all over the road. Suburban stayed on it’s feet, occupants ok. Had to help clear a path on the road for others to pass because most were idiots and drove right thru the debris.
Saw many accidents looking for a place to happen over the years, can’t believe how a little common sense was over looked.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #36

Years ago my father was driving up a steep and crooked highway in Arkansas and met a travel trailer coming down the mountain in his lane sans the vehicle that pulled it up the mountain. I don’t remember if he said it was going forward or backwards.
He was able to evade the crash.
johnmontgome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Remarkably for me, only trailers and campers, no Class As, Bs or Cs.

First was the truck camper. Road was on this highway (features in Highway thru Hell) where the road descends steeply in a short distance (so steep there's a well-used brake check just before the descent and a runaway lane just before the snow shed) and goes through a sweeping curve in the said snowshed. Guess the driver may have gone too fast (just because the speed limit is the equivalent of 70/76 mph doesn't mean you should do it) or blown a tyre but the truck and camper were all over the road at the end of the snowshed. Happened just seconds before we went through.

Next was an offshoot of the same highway. Road is relatively flat and straight at the place of incidence but a trailer went destroyed and IIRC the towing vehicle (pickup) wasn't in much better shape. Same speed limit and similar caution as to above?

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #38

Generally speaking it always seems to be TTs sitting in the ditch on their side. I see one or two a year in the windy passes near where I live.

Only seen one happen in front of me. A large Airstream being pulled by a Jeep passed me, as soon as they cleared the front of my rig, the trailer started wildly swaying. After about four or five sways it started to pass the jeep and rolled over in the road, rolling the jeep over also. The couple wasn't hurt, but they were shaken up.

Not a motorhome but a chassis that can be used as a motorhome. A week ago travelling from Williams to the Grand Canyon (was driving my toad) a Prevost Bus passed me going roughly 80mph. I am behind him and I see a piece of rubber shoot my way. Wife says, why you slowing down. I said, in a moment there is going to be rubber flying everywhere. The bus had an inboard drive tire blow. He continued for about 10 miles before the tire caught fire. Apparently no TPMS on busses???
Greg Hindson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #39

I've seen several accidents waiting to happen. Some seniors don't know when to hang it up.

Richard
Old 10-15-2021, 09:49 PM   #40

Spartan Chassis
We've only seen a few. I first started RVing with my dad in the late 50s. Over the past few years we've seen fewer. What we've seen the most were truck campers that were off the road, and not intentionally. We've only seen one burnt out TT and a DP lying on its side on a "toilet bowl" interstate entrance ramp within the past 2 years. In defense of the DP driver, I have seen many semis laying on their side on that ramp.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:22 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
RV accidents you have seen?

As a commercial truck driver I’ve seen many. Most I would say were trailers that got away from their drivers. Blow overs in Wyoming were common. The one memorable crash was while team driving in Oregon a Dust storm suddenly came up. Visibility was near 0. The motorhome some distance ahead of us crashed at a good speed into a pickup and several other cars that had panicked and slowed/ stopped on the road. My co-driver slammed on the brakes stopping just inches from the back of the motorhome. We were also rear ended. Photos were taken to show we made no contact with the motorhome by us and the police
Both elderly occupants in the motorhome would die within the next few weeks of their injuries. All the interior cabinets had come off the wall and went forward into the cab area. The front end damage was not bad but the sudden stop made the interior of the motorhome look like a bomb went off. Stuff everywhere. They had to be dug out. My co-driver who was driving says he still has nightmares about that one. I drive a class a but know in a crash they or almost any rv are very unsafe. We each need to make our own risk assessment.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceB View Post

I was somewhat amazed at just how much punishment some of them took before collapsing. Keeping in mind that these are old TTs.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote