Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #57

Ageism

Most parks pull the age card in order to be able to turn away a rig like Red Green would build. That being said, some are just downright snooty. We have a 1994 Newmar Mountain Aire we just bought. It probably would pass muster in most parks, however we still plan to snowbird in Slab City to stay away from the BS.
Fuzzypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #58

I've taken to camping in cemeteries. Really quiet and nobody complains if I run my genset at 11pm...

Why do they put fences around a cemetery? The people inside can't get out and the folks outside don't want reside there...

As to the thread topic - it's easier for the CG/resort to say "your rig is too old, have a nice day" than the confrontational "your rig is dilapidated and ugly and your mother dresses you funny... oh, and we think you might be a meth cook, too."
Old 06-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #59

Not sure the point of your rant. You jump from around. Near as I can tell, you don’t like purchasing new RV’s or you don’t want anyone else purchasing a new RV. You don’t like the way, some, all, any, RV’s are built or they don’t meet your standard. You don’t like the way privately owned campgrounds are run. And finally you don’t like the fact that there are other folks using their newly purchased RV’s competing with you for space at campgrounds, that are age restricted,
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #60
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I resent several comments made by the OP. I don't think I was foolish for purchasing my rig new from the factory. In all the years I've been a member of this forum I've never seen a post from "old timers" warning me not to purchase a new rig. I drove an older Southwind DP for years but the wife wanted a new rig so what is a guy to do. I must lead a sheltered life as I've not witnessed the "horror stories" posted about issues with new rigs, any more than those posted about older rigs. I too resent the fact that because I have a decent rig I'm on some sort of "ego trip". Personally, I feel you need to get a life lol. Safe travels to everyone.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #61

We often look for county campgrounds, avoiding those that discriminate

We have been RVing since 2012 in a 2010 Winnebago Sunstar 26P with two slide-outs. We chose this size and configuration so that we could fit into the many older national, state, and now county parks. These all actually have trees and shade which we prefer. Our unit still looks very nice--kept up, full body paint, towed vehicle matches well enough, etc. We will be approaching the 10-year-old mark in another year but are not concerned. I doubt that we would be attracted to any park or situation that discriminated on the basis of age or style of RV alone (not to mention other types of discrimination that might also be lurking under cover).

County parks are a bit harder to find, but my husband recently found a website for them. Googling the state and county you are aiming for will often produce these wonderful jewels. Usually they do not take reservations, but many are adding concrete pads and electrical hookups for even the "big guys". There is a particular one we go back to south of Iowa City, Iowa where we have stayed for weeks at a time. Mature trees, two man-made lakes, a 2-mile paved walking and biking trail, nature trails, woods, a clean shower building, and a location in a rural area surrounded by beautiful rolling farmland are all elements of its appeal. Add to that a price of $17/night--and if you pay 6 nights the 7th night is free!

We did have a very unpleasant experience in the only "seniors only" campground (not a county park) we have ever stayed in. Apparently, at only 26 ft. long our Class A did not fit the "profile" of the people who "usually" stayed there--people who came up from Florida in their 40+ footers to escape the summer heat and to enjoy the Appalachians--and who rented long-term. Without going into detail, these park residents had nothing better to do than complain about newcomers. We moved across the highway to a place where the campground host hurried right over to welcome us, and we felt right at home. Give me a family campground any day where the minute you step out your door a friendly child comes up and asks, "Can I give your dog a treat?" Absolutely no more "seniors only" campgrounds for us--ever!

We are not full-timers, we come from the old school where camping was camping, and we enjoy most those campgrounds that project a welcoming attitude toward all. In my opinion those are the places where you meet the most interesting people too! There are many such places out there. Happy camping to all . . .
borgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #62

Well said Jeff ! We’re full timers in a 40’ Discovery Diesel Pusher ! We’ve had TT , 5th wheeler and now our Motor home ! The quality control in the RV industry has never been good and materials and methods of construction issues seem to be worse than ever ! I seen a TT at a RV show recently that was on display with serious fit up problems inside and out! People just seemed to look past them and are not looking and look past and accept poor workmanship! They seemed to care more about TV size and it’s features and location of chairs to see TV ! However If you sat in the chairs and looked at something other than TVs you could see 3 major problems but they didn’t seem to bother them customers! With the poor warranty fix they’ll probably not even be seeing the TV because the TT WILL BE IN SHOP for a unreasonable length of time ! The dealers are catching a lot of flack for being backed up for a month or two but they are having to fix unreasonable numbers of factory issues! I guess the old adage that “you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink” applies very much in the RV manufacturing business! I see some small motor homes are being imported ! It appears that we need have a big container ship with Travel Trailers in them before QC in the USA will happen ! In the mean time ROL .
Leith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #63

Simple solution is CG's to post "We reserve the right to refuse any RV in poor cosmetic condition" That way older well taken care of rigs wouldn't have a problem.
darn common sense
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #64

I'm always looking for a "no dogs" CG.

Hard to find.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #65

Our coach was converted in 1974 by Custom Coach on a brand new shell. It still looks brand new and has only 47,000 miles. Paint still shines and there is barely a scratch.

When we were in Gillette WY last summer at the FMCA rally one of the 'exclusive' campgrounds tried to sell us a membership. Don't remember the name. I played along for a while, then said that they wouldn't let us in anyhow since our coach is from 1974.

When I showed her photos she was shocked and assured me that they would let it in since it was so unique and well kept. I smugly said 'no thanks' and that we wouldn't want to be part of a campground that had such arbitrary rules. I made a point to explain why we weren't interested and what they could do with their rules, especially since they were willing to break them if it served their purposes.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #66

Discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
And then there are the threads complaining about the CGs that have run down RVs in them
I don’t mind the run down RV’s as much as the run down trashy people who seem to be everywhere.

Old Grouch
Wayneq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
I see this rule the same as no alcohol in most state parks. The rule exists so if there is a problem, they have a rule to enforce. Older, well maintained RVs are admitted with 0 issues. But if you pull up with the Randy Quaid Christmas vacation RV, you will be refused entry.
I agree.. I'm certainly no Plutocrat, worked for wages all my life. At 72 I live on a meager retirement, but given a choice, I prefer not to camp in a place where some Hippy Bus is going to pull in next to me. Years ago I went down to the Salton Sea, worst gathering of Trailer Trash that I have ever seen. That style is not for me. The age of the RV should not be the determining factor, I've seen some Beautifully restored early RVs that would show well anywhere. Everyone should have fun and enjoy themselves, but there is nothing wrong with having standards. It's like working all your life and moving into a nice community only to have the Government declare that there must be a minimum number of Section 8 house in each neighborhood.
Snakebite476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
But why?

Our park has a 10 year rule that applies to seasonal campers only. Even then we allow exceptions if the camper is well maintained. I would like to explain why we do it. I am only speaking for myself here, so this will not apply to all parks. As a camper gets older it loses value. At some point it is near worthless. So when the folks are giving up camping or buying one to travel in, they will leave the old one behind. They don't want to pay to have it towed out, they don't have a place to tow it to, nobody wants it and I don't have a title to it. I can't sell it, give it away or continue to store it forever. It seems to be getting worse, last year we had two that were left behind, this year three. It took MONTHS and hours of effort to first get the people to agree that we could give the rig away (sometimes you can't even contact them) then even longer to find someone willing to take it off our hands.
I am curious, are there parks you have run into that turn away daily or weekend, weekly campers for the age of the camper?
riverbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #69

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am actually looking at a campground that says on their website that you need to contact them if your rig is older than 10 years. Mine is 14 so I will just contact them about it. I could see a lot of them that have this may want to see pictures and override the rule. Here is their website.

http://www.safeharborrvresort.com/policies/
Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #70
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
RV age restricted campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
…..You look down on me because I refuse to give my money to somebody that pre-judges me for what I drive?....
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_143529_1480268976059.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	248274

Sorry to hear this is how you like to live/camp. Next time I'll honk and wave as I go by!

By the way.....I don't look down on anyone.....I worked two jobs for 35 years to get the things I have and it wasn't in an office or behind a computer screen! I just won't camp where I have to fear for my life.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground