Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #15

Don't forget you might get your shoes all dirty with that black suff your walkin in.

I always carry and axe and shovel. Dirt will work a lot more efficiently than what your on board pump will deliver. Jimm Zi/
Wire Wrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was a teenager and Boy Scout Counselor, in S. CA, my Dad and I spent a lot of time in the Laguna's, Campo, Otay’s, Borrego’s and other outback’s. I thought it was "LAW" that you carried an Axe, Shovel and bucket, I still do. I have stopped over a dozen fires from spreading in the last 55 years. I am to old to still be on the Volunteer Fire Department, but have still helped more than once! You to can be of a great service! Remember Smokey says, “Only you can prevent Forest fires” also grass and wild fires. Travel far and SAFE!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I'm disappointed. Don't get involved, it won't work, you can't do it, it costs too much, don't even try, you don't have enough water, pressure, training. No, no, no.

What the hell happened to can do? What happened to do the best you can with what you have? Where did, maybe I can help, go?...

...I still can't believe how far we've come down the road of don't do anything, let someone else do it.
A bit about the brush fire that I talked about in my previous post:

When we crested the hill we noticed that the traffic slowed considerably (speed limit was 75mph, we were down to ~35mph). We happened to be in the slow lane (always) when we finally noticed the smoke/fire about 1/4 mile ahead. Without thinking I pulled right to the shoulder and got as close as I was willing to, jumped out and grabbed the first extinguisher. By the time I got to the fire there were 3 or 4 other guys there stomping and slapping it with jackets and blankets. I also noticed that there were a few cars behind me that also stopped to help. By the time we got the fire out there were probably 15 of us out there, including an EMT who was driving by in their ambulance with the only other fire extinguisher. As we got the last of the flames out, a small fire department truck(the size of my Suburban) showed up and started on the smoking ground with what looked like a common garden hose. If none of us stopped, I don't think they would have gotten it out with that little truck.

Most of the traffic was continuing on there way but I was surprised how many of us actually got out and worked together to put that fire out. When the firetruck showed up and started with their hose, all of us just got into our vehicles and continued on down the road, no discussion or high-fives.

so, at least SOME of us don't subscribe to "don't do anything, let someone else do it"!
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #18

I wonder if the weather is colder when one sits on one of those mighty high horses around here. I did not read a single person's post that said don't get involved. Calling 911 by definition IS doing something, believe me a lot of people drive by and don't even make the call thinking someone else will. The idea proposed in the original post was to attach a hose to an RV fresh water system and use it to put out brush fires. First off, the water stream would go about a foot and a half on a good day with an RV water pump, making you stand almost in the fire to put it out. Secondly, there is a lot more to fighting fires than throwing some water on it. If you know nothing about fire fighting and go try to put out a brush fire, you can quickly find yourself, your family and your RV in harm's way. What was a brush fire now became a rescue. I've seen many people injured "trying to help" and that just makes the situation worse. Again, no one said don't get involved, also no one spoke of a smoldering cigarette that needs putting out. The premise was hooking up a hose to an rv to put out a brush fire, and it continues to be a bad idea.
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #19

I think part of the issue here in definitions. A brush fire is a fire in low brush and scrubby trees. A grass fire is a grassy area that is on fire. I do not see large problems with bystanders putting out grass fires as if the wind changes or something else happens you may get burnt, or worse, but the the fire most likely be at most at your waist. When you enter brush to put out a fire it is very different...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
That little Fire Truck is called a Brush Truck most carry 250-500 gallons of water-the small fire hose is used to save water-both the hose and water are connected to a fire pump so if more pressure is needed it is available, What you did not see is the BIG Tanker Truck that takes a little longer to arrive at the scene to supply that little TRUCK.
Remember Trained Fire Fighters can put out most fires with less than 500 gallons of water.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #21

In the three MHs we have owned, a bucket under the water tank drain is the fastest way to get a quantity of water quickly.
I carry three fire extinguishers and would gladly spend $50+ for refills if it helped save someone else's property.

I also carry and have used the chain kept in my truck to help others in the winter.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #22

I also carry a swim suit. That would be helpful if someone was in trouble in the water. I know I'm a lot older than when I was teaching water safety, but I bet I can keep some one from drowning. This has nothing to do with fighting fire, but I think I ncan strech the issue some what to make the comparrison to the above posts. It pays to be prepaired for an emergency. Jimm Zi/
Wire Wrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do agree in stopping in response to an emergency, have stopped on a few traffic accidents, a couple of car fires and other thins. Have changed tires, fixed throttle cables, and I can't tell you what all else while on the road.

But then I have a way of convincing people I have "Covered" my activity should they be frauds. (in fact I do). I would stop on a small fire.. but I'd be more likely to grab the 20 pound powder can than the water hose... Just more effective Then follow with water.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
I also carry a swim suit. That would be helpful if someone was in trouble in the water. I know I'm a lot older than when I was teaching water safety, but I bet I can keep some one from drowning. This has nothing to do with fighting fire, but I think I ncan strech the issue some what to make the comparrison to the above posts. It pays to be prepaired for an emergency. Jimm Zi/
The swim suit is also handy in case you run into some criminal hot tub activity, you can then join in. But the suit would probally not be necessary.

As to the fire, I always carry a shovel. Or you could wring out the swimsuit on it. We have roadside grass fires here in the southwest all the time. Dry grass and cigarette buts dont mix.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #25

First off, no one traveling at 60+ mph is going to see a cigarette butt smoldering on the side of the road. By the time you see the smoke and flames it's a fairly large fire too large for 1 person with a small hose to put out.

When I was a volunteer fireman I saw more than 1 home owner go up in flames because their pants or shirt caught fire trying to put out a grass fire. Once those cloths start melting and sticking to your skin there is no way to get them off.

Most road side grass fires can burn for hours without hurting anything so call 911, get out of the way and let the professionals do their job. (hey, they are hanging around just waiting for your call)
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
First off, no one traveling at 60+ mph is going to see a cigarette butt smoldering on the side of the road. By the time you see the smoke and flames it's a fairly large fire too large for 1 person with a small hose to put out.

When I was a volunteer fireman I saw more than 1 home owner go up in flames because their pants or shirt caught fire trying to put out a grass fire. Once those cloths start melting and sticking to your skin there is no way to get them off.

Most road side grass fires can burn for hours without hurting anything so call 911, get out of the way and let the professionals do their job. (hey, they are hanging around just waiting for your call)
Many wouldn't agree with you and I'm one of them.

Too bad you couldn't have gotten a paid FF job and hung around the fire station with us playing checkers and looking for cats in trees. ;-)
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a 3 gallon pump-top sprayer, mostly to be able to wash mud from my boots/steps, and it's stowed in the sidebox. it also supplies sufficient water, when needed, to dampen the perimeter of a small grass fire. I know this, because I've used it just that way, and on my own property.
I live in a rural area, and any number of things get tossed out the window by passing cars/motorists. More than once, I've picked up cigarette butts that had about an inch of ash on them, and once, one started a small fire.
I saw it smoking while I was working the garden on the opposite end of the property, about 500' from the road. It's always windy out here, and our Fire Dept is virtually all-volunteer, with one full-timer managing the station 10 miles up the road. I grabbed the sprayer and headed towards the smoke, and between circling the burn, wetting the dry thatch that fed the fire, and stepping on the licks of flames, I had the fire out before I could have expected our guys to be there.
Having and doing SOMETHING is good; But I think my lil sprayer has a better shot than dragging out a hose. Just my opinion, mind you.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
OP Here: I don't usually get involved in don't do-it or do-it discussions. I will add hose connection for general use and possibably fires. I will play with different mist and stream/jet attachments on 8 foot pipe extension, also I will put axe and shovel onboard in our unlocked propane bay for easy and fast access. Bathing suit - I need to think about that one. At my age not to many would get excited or even care if I was trying to save them in my birthday suit.
P.S. you havn't lived until you have put out oil fire with water in freezing weather. Now I can go back to sleep.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote