Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

RV Awning Replacement

Good Morning,

How long should it take to replace a RV awning (Class C) no slides, about 20 foot awning.

Our awning was destroyed in wind (completely ripped off hardware and awning) and Insurance is covering the cost but is only paying for three hours of labor.

For an entire new set up, new hardware new awning I was quoted for 14 hours of labor.

Thanks for reading.
RVinAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #2

Not a pro - just a handy guy at home - took me 3 hours to replace awning by myself. Not the bars just the fabric. To replace the bars with new should not take any more than 4 additional hours - 7 total for the whole job 1 person.
IMHO
PlanetPPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #3

Thanks, I think I may need to get another quote. 14 hours seems a little high.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

Only a few hours
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Only a few hours
Had 3 window and patio replaced. Entire patio hard wear
3 window fabrics took 1 text 3. 5
Hours for a perfect job at rv show. Some one is yanking your chain. [emoji16]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

I think your insurance company is pretty close to the hours needed to
replace the hardware and install a new awning roller and fabric.
Can be done with one person. Much better with two.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I would say three hours is not nearly enough labor, especially since there was likely body damage done in the ripping off process. The bead track where the fabric attaches to the top sidewall was also probably ripped loose. To replace it, first the holes will need to be properly repaired or water intrusion will eventually destroy things. Not a place to cut corners IMHO.
Not sure what make/model mh/awning you have? Is it manual or an electric awning?
We added a 15' awning to our old Minnie, it never had one. That took about six hours to install, A&E manually operated model. Of course the OCD kicked in and everything was thru bolted and reinforced to the interior wall....
I could see eight hours to replace it correctly, with repairs included.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM   #8

Had to take off our awning last summer to do roof repair. Took my teenage son and me maybe an hour and a half to reinstall it, and most of that time was getting the tension right so it would roll up correctly. As someone noted above, the big factor might be if there is damage to repair. That could take a significant amount of time.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for all the replies.

The estimate I was given from the body shop isn't accounting for repairs, they are saying it could potentially be more. It is a 2005 Fleetwood Tioga 29V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3798 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	291626  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #10

It can't hurt to ask.

Ask your insurance company where you can get the work done for their price.
A trailer dealer with an extensive shop may have more experience and may be able to do it faster.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt that it can be done in 3 hours but certainly shouldn't take 14 hours! You do have to remember though that the 14 hours is probably 7 hours for two men. Still sounds excessive.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #12

Except for the missing awning brackets and arms, I don't see any damage. I imagine the original mounting holes may be stripped out now, otherwise it doesn't look bad.

I replaced the awning fabric on ours about 5 years ago and it was about a 3 hour job. Did get my wife to help hold things in place but her time helping was definitely less than 30 minutes. Total time for the two of us was probably less than 3.5 hours. That time should be quite a bit less for someone experienced and that knows what they're doing.

On the OP's, unless there is more damage that's not visible, I can't see the installation of bracketry and arms taking very long. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to take measurements, mark holes, seal and install. I'd estimate about an hour for a grand total of maybe 4 hours.

Edited to add: Ours is an older A&E 8500 manual awning. No wiring or anything like that to add to the labor.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #13

RVin AK, get another estimate, have them break down their time, repair existing damage(if there is any) and the time for actual installing the replacement. Like others said way too high an original estimate. I've replaced an 18 foot awning fabric in 3 hours ALONE . part of that time was doing part of it twice :>( I installed the fabric sky side down, and the fringe was on the wrong side) I watched a video on utube of a man replacing the fabric only , doing it alone and it was about 45 minutes. Lots of going up and down ladder.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If no damage to repair, a straight re & re can easily done in under 3 hours with two people.... I've replaced 3, including 1 of my own.

Labor rates are always inflated for insurance claims. Same as when a mechanic quotes you the "book" rate.

Tags
ace, awning, replace, replacement