Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 PM   #1

RV Cover, Safer or not?

I'm sure the cover thing has been poured over here, but we recently had a break in with our cover on. Storage yard in Orange County CA, yard is fenced with Razor wire, code entry gate and security camera's. I cover my RV due to the harsh sun we have here while in the yard, came back recently to find the driver side window was broken, offender found a tall piece of wood to prop himself up to climb in. Took some stuff, rifled through everything, but as most of you do, don't keep much of any real value in there. That said, we are the only covered Class A in our row, and they chose ours to break in, plenty of nice A's in a row, we are nothing more or less special than the others. I'm guessing it's either dumb luck, or they/he felt the cover provided protection from view while doing their thing. Side note, yard camera's are worthless, per the police that came to file the report, said, all we will see is someone robbing your coach, it's rare that you actually get a good view of the culprit, and even it you do, it never converts to anything.
Forza Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 01:05 AM   #2

I tend to believe your premise that a cover provided a shield and a sense of protection to give them some secrecy not only while breaking into your coach but also once inside you. In reality, it most likely doesn't make a difference but psychologically to them, it probably is more comforting as their logic could be that if they can't see out then nobody can see them as they move around inside.

I'm not a fan of covers. I think they do more damage than good in some if not most circumstances. I used a cover once many years ago when storing in the wet northwest and regretted it. Even when we left a coach for an extended period of time in the desert, I didn't cover it. I gave it a good coating of protection before leaving it ...i.e. wax/polish with UV protection, 303, and a few other precautions but no physical cover. Right, I know many who will argue that 303 and other UV protectors do not do much and they always use a cover when leaving their coach in a stationary position for an extended period. So just because I don't use one doesn't mean that I'm right,

Sorry for the break-in and I'm glad to hear you didn't lose that much property and the damage sounds minimal.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:08 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, I'm total opposite from theroc on this one. If you have a good cover and snug it up well, it will help in protecting from the sun etc.
My coach was covered probably 6 years in Michigan winters until I got it to a covered lot. Never any issues other than had to always coordinate some help installing and removing cover.

As far as break-in in a razor wire gated lot, this scum is hell bent on stealing something, anything, covered or not.
How many times have we heard that criminals are a lot more likely to break into a car if they see a cell phone, purse etc.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:32 AM   #4

There are decent arguments that a cover may encourage or discourage a break in.

My offbeat thought became that the cover may "cover up" the crime for a long enough time to satisfy the criminal's pea brain.

If it happened to me I would probably still cover my RV.

My last RV (though waxed, 303ed, etc) had faded decals, gasket and plastic UV damage, and most importantly almost total thread/material damage to both my awnings in just 3 years of the mid-Florida sun and some staining from organic litter accumulated from Live oaks in my travels around the Southeast.

So the limited rubbing my cover on my new RV that may cause damage, probably less in the long run than uncovered. BUT... where I have the RV for the periods of being covered, there is almost never strong enough winds to really blow the cover much.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:21 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
....I'm not a fan of covers. I think they do more damage than good in some if not most circumstances....
Same here, if not very snug all around, the wind will either wear a hole in the cover or mar the RV. Plus it makes it difficult to get in/out of during the off season to work on.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:29 AM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
In your storage yards, what percent overall of the rigs do you think are using covers?
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I tend to believe your premise that a cover provided a shield and a sense of protection to give them some secrecy not only while breaking into your coach but also once inside you. In reality, it most likely doesn't make a difference but psychologically to them, it probably is more comforting as their logic could be that if they can't see out then nobody can see them as they move around inside.

I'm not a fan of covers. I think they do more damage than good in some if not most circumstances. I used a cover once many years ago when storing in the wet northwest and regretted it. Even when we left a coach for an extended period of time in the desert, I didn't cover it. I gave it a good coating of protection before leaving it ...i.e. wax/polish with UV protection, 303, and a few other precautions but no physical cover. Right, I know many who will argue that 303 and other UV protectors do not do much and they always use a cover when leaving their coach in a stationary position for an extended period. So just because I don't use one doesn't mean that I'm right,

Sorry for the break-in and I'm glad to hear you didn't lose that much property and the damage sounds minimal.
Thank you, As for the cover, I think it all depends on the climate, here in So Cal, it brutal sun constantly, we use a light cover that it pourous and can allow water through but can protect the roof especially along with everyother part and seam from the constant sun. Putting a cover on is a PITA, , but I have a system and works for me. Also can be dangerous, as in a lonely storage yard, and something happens who will know? I always tell my wife when I'm covering and she checks frequently. Yard is only 10 mins from our house.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:31 AM   #8

damage from being covered

This is what a raccoon did it got under the cover

[ATTACH]388762
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220427_130327.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	388762  
tvt11tddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
There are decent arguments that a cover may encourage or discourage a break in.

My offbeat thought became that the cover may "cover up" the crime for a long enough time to satisfy the criminal's pea brain.

If it happened to me I would probably still cover my RV.

My last RV (though waxed, 303ed, etc) had faded decals, gasket and plastic UV damage, and most importantly almost total thread/material damage to both my awnings in just 3 years of the mid-Florida sun and some staining from organic litter accumulated from Live oaks in my travels around the Southeast.

So the limited rubbing my cover on my new RV that may cause damage, probably less in the long run than uncovered. BUT... where I have the RV for the periods of being covered, there is almost never strong enough winds to really blow the cover much.
Yea, Same! I always wash the coach before putting it away, and covering. Yes the yard is a gravel pit, but it helps
Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Same here, if not very snug all around, the wind will either wear a hole in the cover or mar the RV. Plus it makes it difficult to get in/out of during the off season to work on.
Not a lot of wind in So Cal, except during the winter. Even still, it's in a pretty protected area. Cover has 4 zippers to allow access.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaFog View Post
In your storage yards, what percent overall of the rigs do you think are using covers?
A low number, but I chalk it up to more laziness than anything else. We had a TT before the A, and covered that 4 5 years of ownership, it looked brand new with no wear or scratches from the cover. I use a Forzier cover. It's light enough for me to be able to run a 4 way rope knot up it and pull it up to the top without too much struggle, but tough enough to keep the relentless sun off.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvt11tddb View Post
This is what a raccoon did it got under the cover

[ATTACH]388762
What did the cover have to do with the raccoon doing that damage? We dont really have raccoons here by the beach.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:54 AM   #13

Where I live in Hot Central CA, if you don't have a way to keep the sun off the paint and decals won't last more than 8 to 10 years. But if you can keep the sun off, they will still be looking good long past the 20-year mark.
Before summer I will be adding a carport. Just something to keep the sun off. We don't get high wind, frost or snow. And in normal years it only rains for a few days between Nov and Mar. So, most of what we need to protect from is sun damage. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR60 View Post
Where I live in Hot Central CA, if you don't have a way to keep the sun off the paint and decals won't last more than 8 to 10 years. But if you can keep the sun off, they will still be looking good long past the 20-year mark.
Before summer I will be adding a carport. Just something to keep the sun off. We don't get high wind, frost or snow. And in normal years it only rains for a few days between Nov and Mar. So, most of what we need to protect from is sun damage. DR
Well except for this year! We have gotten over 26" of rain, which is over double what we normally get! Yup, Sun is our biggest problem with our Coach as well as our Boat. Keep that covered as well, again, because of sun, not external weather or wind.

Tags
cover