Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

RV electrical system detected bad ground at resort

After a long day of driving we stopped at our destination. Temperature was 85 degrees and it was time to set up camp and get the AC units fired up.

I plugged into the 50 Amp service on the pole and flipped the breaker. The green light lit up and I’m off to turn the AC on. However, they were not turning on. I looked at the electrical source indicator and it stated something like “ground fault”.

Never having this happen before I was stunned on my next move. I went back and checked the 50 Amp breaker at the source. It seemed to be working. I went inside and checked the breaker box to look for tripped breakers and there was a readout panel in there that stated “open ground”.

I went and talked to the office and they couldn’t believe it didn’t work since they just had new boxes installed at every RV site 2 weeks earlier. They called an electrician right away but couldn’t get them to answer their phone at 5pm.

I went back to the site and tried the 30 Amp outlet and it worked fine. The AC units fired up and we were cooling off.

I looked on the internet for voltage readings on the 50 Amp plug and whipped out my volt meter and started checking. Sure enough, it was something in the wiring of the 50 Amp plug since the voltages were all off according to wiring diagrams I found. I wrote down the voltages from pin to pin also wrote down what they should be. I also went to a vacant site to verify what the internet wiring voltages were said to be and got confirmation.

I gave the office my findings and he took a picture and texted the picture to the electrician. The electrician called back and said it made perfect sense and he would be out in the morning at 7am to fix it.

He was there at 7am and found the ground wire not connected and hooked it up.
The 50 Amp was fixed.

The point of all of this was that my coach was able to detect the wiring error and would not allow faulty wiring to damage my electrical system.
I was shocked at how smart the system was and actually saved quite possibly some damage to my unit. It was odd that the green light on my plug did light up but I think one leg did have 120v but the other was 180v and ground was 60v or something like that (I’m going off memory) so maybe that is what lit the lamp?

Anyhow, I just thought I’d share an experience of poor RV wiring that was detected by an RV and saved my coaches wiring.
Not bashing the RV resort but giving accolades to the brains of my electrical system working as it should.

Signed
Thankful......cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

That's exactly why so many push the Progressive EMS....with digital readout...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for sharing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Happened to us at a National Forest Campground. 50A service ground fault found by my Progressive EMS. Refused to allow power to pass. Had to find another spot to camp.

No only a equipment issue, a major hot skin issue that could cause electrocution.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical