Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Now that you mention it, there are quite a few people who don't think for themselves and are complacent in their submission to the will of others over their destiny. Usually, those who dominate, practice counter to their preachings. Ever notice that?
English, please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #30

I would travel to the places I'm going regardless. If I didn't have the RV, I would probably travel by plane or car. Neither of those is great either, and being a family of 5, the car is largish (about twice the MPG as the RV), or we would take up 5 seats of a plane. If I didn't have the RV, we would eat most meals out, greatly increasing food waste, whereas we normally don't eat more than one meal out per week. Most hotels are designed to have HVAC running all the time, often with windows that don't even open, whereas with the RV we normally just open the windows and maybe turn on a fan.

So yes, while the gas mileage isn't great, and it's very difficult to know for sure, I suspect it's a wash or net positive environmentally for us to travel in the RV.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #31

One volcano in Iceland in 5 days emits more co2 than the rest if the world from all sources does in a year. They want to shut down the 11(I think is the #) of US coal fired electric generation plants, but China is in the process of building 154 plants.

Within 25 years all the wind turbines and solar panels being installed now will need to be disposed in landfills.

There is enough battery plants or will be enough proposed plants to build enough batteries for all the EV vehicles proposed.

The largest source of lithium comes from China where we buy it.

All of the “green” proposals are just going to bankrupt the US and cost all of more than the current fuel price increases.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
One volcano in Iceland in 5 days emits more co2 than the rest if the world from all sources does in a year. They want to shut down the 11(I think is the #) of US coal fired electric generation plants, but China is in the process of building 154 plants.

Within 25 years all the wind turbines and solar panels being installed now will need to be disposed in landfills.

There is enough battery plants or will be enough proposed plants to build enough batteries for all the EV vehicles proposed.

The largest source of lithium comes from China where we buy it.

All of the “green” proposals are just going to bankrupt the US and cost all of more than the current fuel price increases.
Some people got rich on this scam.

THANK YOU for posting common sense
These crazy's drive me nuts, thank goodness I won't be around too many more years to suffer their BS. How many billion's of years have the Planet's cycles changed due to solar activity and internal activity. Remember. the desert's once were lush green and the Northern hemisphere was ICE. Certain individuals got rich on this scam and it continues.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #33

When I look at all the leaders, rich and famous, who jump on a private jet anytime they want to go anywhere I don't feel bad about how I travel. When they get past their hypocrisy I'll start to listen. Most of them create more pollution in a year than I will in my lifetime.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #34

I have zero concern for this type of thing. Zero, zip, nada.
For one, the amount of miles logged by the average RV is 5K, and there aren't really that many RV's out there.
Secondly, China is literally turning out coal fired powerplants at the average rate of 4 per month and has a growing middle class that all want cars, Russia has been on a two decade pipeline building frenzy that looks like it will continue for several more decades. India's burgeoning middle class is one of the hottest car markets due to the fact that they have over a billion people, much like their friends in China. And the enviro creeps running the Paris accord give all three of these countries a hall pass to pollute and do as they please, while trying to push higher prices, taxes and restrictions on Europe and America. The two loudest voices in the 'global warming' debate constantly harp on the loss of land due to rising tides, and both recently bought multi-million dollar beach front homes. Guess they aren't really that concerned...
The few miles per year that I travel in my coach were completely eclipsed by the first of over 45 private jets flown to the last Paris accord meeting. Elitist fly their gas guzzling Citations and Gulfstreams to conferences about global warming, that could just as easily be done on Zoom. But, you know, it's my fuel use that is hurting the planet, not theirs...
You can put me firmly in the camp that believes this entire issue is just an excuse for big government to siphon more money out of my wallet, and an attempt to restrict my freedom of movement, and nothing more.
In the end, worrying about this sort of thing is pretty much a narcissistic, virtue signalling, first world elitist hobby.

I'm just gonna enjoy my coach and not give two hoots about this sort of thing.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Then, why don’t you sell the rv, the cars, the lawn mowers, disconnect your house from natural gas, electricity and water, don’t eat beef because cows fart and live in the dark and freeze?
What he said! Plus most but not all green dreams are bad for the earth but sound good to those looking to show that they care. EV’s and wind turbines require so much carbon to produce that they will never be carbon neutral. Solar systems made in China or India are produced using dirty coal (Not US coal where safety and environmental regulation are strict) and with cheap labor that are close to slaves add in no industrial safety.
Enjoy your RV keep it tuned etc..
Old 11-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #36

Keith55 you need to read good book. Try "Unsettled" by Stephen Koonin.It has some very good information on this subject from someone who is much more educated than I.

The ice melted long before the internal combustion engine was invented.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #37

Be careful, If you stop and think about it too much, you'd feel guilty living in any modern society. One could argue all day every day what defines excessive consumption. Dragging or pushing an aerodynamic brick down the highway cannot be thought of as being efficient in any way, unless you are driving a train, and any little, tiny, mitigating thing you do to try to change that fact... won't. It's like feeling good about banning plastic straws in order to save the oceans.

Humans like stuff. Part of it is instinctual, because hording in times of plenty offsets the times of famine. The other reason is status. Having more than someone else shows you are higher in the social order. I'm of the belief that any groups of humans, given the opportunity, will want material wealth, and the more the better. It's what we do. It's why I'm quite fatalistic in the whole push to "Save the Environment" or "Fight Climate Change," however you define the cause. I like to say that in order to do so, you must take the human out of humanity. We love to think, as a species, we are driven by our intelligence and our morals, yet we are driven much more by our emotional impulses and instincts. It's not the intellect that's driving the bus, it just THINKS it is, and is great at fooling itself into believing it. It's why people think Yogurt is considered a "healthy" snack when in reality it contains more sugar per serving than Captain Crunch cereal. The "intellect" is fooled by clever advertising. The marking world knows who's in really charge, and is a master at slipping things by the thinking brain by appealing to what's really making the decisions.

If it will make you feel any better, you aren't alone - there's billions of you. I have met the enemy, and he is us.

The good news? Nature doesn't have any morals, conscience, or emotions and will do whatever it will do, completely uncaring as to the outcome. The sun will keep coming up in the morning, and setting in the evening. The Earth will continue it in it's orbit. We will either adapt or perish. We could even change our ways, save the environment, live in harmony, end world hunger, feel great about ourselves, and out of the sky comes an asteroid - ha ha, the joke's on us. Nature's done it before. Like I said, nature doesn't care. Keep in mind at one time there was abundant life on the planet, then along comes this toxic poison, oxygen, and the first mass extinction takes place. Yeah, I know, kinda' dark. But remember, I said I was fatalistic.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #38

Well OP, it's hard to think of a hobby where you'll find folks less concerned about environmental issues so the response is predictable! Demographics of forum users is a factor as well. Younger and better educated RVers frequent other platforms. Nevertheless, some of us do ponder this. We weigh our personal happiness against our responsibility to the greater world and make our choices. My ego did not compel me to have kids, so that's one huge plus for the environment. My PU and small trailer get about 14mpg. Not great but I go the same places as RVs getting 7mpg, though I may sacrifice some conveniences. My daily driver gets 60+mpg with no compromises. I don't travel by air, I live in a modest sized home and I get as much of my electricity from solar as my utility permits. Etc, etc. So not a poster child for environmental responsibility but not an ostrich either. Best I can do.... Human nature being what it is, I give us another half dozen generations and the last couple won't be pretty.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #39

Thread went as expected. There's great irony in seeing how many give a finger to the environmental impact of spending most of their time in said environment. We love the great outdoors as long as we can bring along our 40' diesel RVs with big-screen TVs. We earned it.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
LOL
I am glad to know the media has successfully brainwashed you. Amd I mean that honestly... I have worked in the media for 34 years and I know exactly what they do behind the scenes to make people believe their political agenda, lies and all. Thank you! It has put a roof over my head!
Sounds like you should sell it all yo someone who would appreciate it.
Were you a television or radio ‘Injuneer’? I might even know you!
Old 11-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #41

I think about it more in my everyday life. Foot problems keep me in only certain brand shoes, plastic and rubber. Clothing out of polyester all the toiletries in plastics, outdoor furniture out of plastics, on and on. With respect to my motorhome, I have all biodegradable soaps, i have a dupont water filter on my sink and fill water bottles instead of carrying store bought. Keep trash contained and emptied at CGs. Doesnt add up to much but I try what things I find to help. But them we have 2 million more bodies expected to have been immigrated to US this year alone according to cnn article earlier this year. How many more cars is that on the road, how much more asphalt, electric grid strain, 6,570 per family pounds of trash. EPA says each person uses 82 gallons of water per day, that is 29000 gallons per year x 2 million more with a dought out west. Parks both national and state are over run with trash, human waiste on trails and hiking routes. graffiti and destruction of things like joshua trees. Off road vehicles everywhere. I dont think the rv crowd is the main culprit. Why cant we close the borders, take the money spend 5 years putting the charging stations, good roads, electric grids, solve the water issues and landfills with all these so called smart people and then start letting people in that are trained on environmental issues. THIS is not Polical. it is too many people on an over strained outdated system. Fix it before you open the barn door or we will be like India. Pollution everywhere due to too many bodys and no infrastructure. This is solely my opinion based on real things i have read about the environment and the problems. No it does not stop me from my rv travels I will do the little I can and continue to visit beautiful places keeping as tidy a unit as I can in my little class c. I do respect those who wish to stop the rv lifestyle if they think they are contributing too much to pollution.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:38 PM   #42

I’m still waiting for proof that we can alter the earth’s temperature by altering our lifestyle. I’m also interested to know what the earth’s temperature is supposed to be. I don’t accept anecdotal evidence as proof of anything, so I’ll just continue to travel as planned.
Closed Thread