Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2022, 05:42 AM   #1

RV extended warranty

The admiral and I will take delivery of a Renegade Verona next week. We will be living in it full tim. The salesman and I were discussing a few last minute items and the subject of extended warranty came up. Of course they offer one thru the dealership called NorthStar by Revolos.

I don't think I have ever purchased an extended warranty for any truck/car I have owned but in this case I'm considering it and starting to shop around taking notes on the fine print.

Can anyone recommend an extended warranty company for an RV?
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2022, 05:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodnReel View Post
The admiral and I will take delivery of a Renegade Verona next week. We will be living in it full tim. The salesman and I were discussing a few last minute items and the subject of extended warranty came up. Of course they offer one thru the dealership called NorthStar by Revolos.

I don't think I have ever purchased an extended warranty for any truck/car I have owned but in this case I'm considering it and starting to shop around taking notes on the fine print.

Can anyone recommend an extended warranty company for an RV?
This question comes up daily, sometimes more than once. Do a search above and you will have enough reading material for months.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:51 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We don't buy them any more. They aren't worth the cost. Someone will come along and give their anecdote about how they had a repair that was much more than the cost of the extended warranty, but they're the exception. Others will point out how the companies that sell them are in business to make a profit and can't stay in business long if they pay out more than you pay them. I'm in the latter camp.

It's unlikely that you'll have a covered repair that will be worth more than you'll pay for the extended service contract. It doesn't matter what company sells it or how it's written, they're designed to make money for the companies that sell them, not to benefit you. Put the money that you would have spent on an extended service contract in a savings account and only use it for repairs. If anything does come up, you're self insured.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:57 AM   #4

We've never purchased an extended warranty on anything. Save that money and designate it for future repairs.

If purchasing new you'll get a warranty and if things go wrong you'll notice it the first year and you're covered. After that you'll find mobile RV repairs available in RV parks or repair places enroute. Ask the office for recommendations.

If you're lucky like we were for 16 years of full-timing, you won't need any repairs or you'll have easy ones that you can do yourself.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never buy an extended warranty! Those companies leave themselves too many loopholes to get out of paying your claims. I think you can put that same amount of money into a special bank account to be used only for repairs, and I'm betting you will still have lots of money left at what would have been the end of the warranty period. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:17 PM   #6

GC Super I did a search before posting and every thread I read turns out similar to this one, "they aren't worth it or don't get one.".

The question was can anyone can recommend a warranty company.

All I want to do is read the contract of reputable company.
RodnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You'll find a mixed bag of opinions on these (usually).

I chose not to get one and it paid off big time for me. Only one sizable coverable issue in 5-years. Plenty of little things that would not be covered usually or would be too little to submit. This saved me over $5k - or $3.5K minus the A/C failure I had to pay for.

Besides not usually buying extended warranties on things, a main determiner for me was the added hassle waiting for approval from the insurance company when anything breaks. All the back and forth with the repair facility and the insurance claims agent can add many days to any repair.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I can't tell you if they're good or bad as a lot depends on your ability to do of your repairs. When we bought our first DP in 2005, we bought a five-year extended warranty. Two years later they went out of business. This was our first and last extended warranty through a private company.

With that said, Freightliner offers an extended warranty on their chassis that you can buy in the first six months of a new coach purchase. I was able to extend my chassis warranty from three to five years for $1800.00.

For us, I would only buy something that is offered by the manufacturer.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #9

i guess that I have another way of looking at this.With all of the posts that we see about long wait times, poor quality of repairs and how unhappy folks are with the manufacturers warranty why would anyone think that an aftermarket warranty would be any different.To be fair I do probably need to clarify that I do almost all of my own repairs and am not a fan of extended warranties. I am firmly in the no group but that is just what works for me.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #10

We came from living aboard boating to living full time in the RV . I could fix anything on the boat, or could take the part to someone who could . With no knowledge of the systems or how to access them ,we got a warranty on our used 2014 Forza . Used it several times on slide repairs , awning replacement , leaks and smaller claims . The amount of time from finding the problem to getting the ok , then getting part and having it repaired is were the rub is . To much down time for simple stuff . The amount of repairs done is no wear near the amount I paid for the warranty. As others have said ,with a new RV you are covered, then bank that amount you would of paid for the warranty for future repairs . Good luck .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty